What was it called again? [Help-me-find-it Thread]

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Re: What was it called again? [Help-me-find-it Thread]

Postby Firebreaf » October 23rd, 2018, 1:39 am

Looking for: I've been searching for a bunch of old webcomics I stopped reading for various reasons recently, but there's one I just can't find. My memory of it is pretty vague since I started it so long ago. I'm not sure of the genre, possibly something sci fi or modern day, but set in a fictional world. The only thing I can remember for sure is this one character that popped up once or twice up to the point I had last read. It was a crossdressing black guy with a full goatee. I want to say he was some kind of radio host or something as I recall there being a microphone or headphones in the scene and he might have been some form of narrator in the story. The only other thing I might be able to remember is that one of the first characters I saw was female, who may have been the/a main protagonist. That's about all I can recall specifically. It seemed well drawn and written to me, but I was already starting a bunch of others at the time and forgot about this one. Now it's really bugging me that I can't find it.
Firebreaf

Postby eishiya » October 23rd, 2018, 8:06 am

Do you remember what the comic looked like? That might help narrow it down more. Was it colour, B&W, greyscale? What sort of art style did it have? What was the tone like, was it a comedy or was it on the serious side?
Do you remember when you last saw it? That could also help.
eishiya

Postby Firebreaf » October 23rd, 2018, 11:34 pm

eishiya wrote:Do you remember what the comic looked like? That might help narrow it down more. Was it colour, B&W, greyscale? What sort of art style did it have? What was the tone like, was it a comedy or was it on the serious side?
Do you remember when you last saw it? That could also help.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll do my best to remember.

It was full color. The art style was a bit stylized but overall realistic, sort of like these: http://www.sfeertheory.com, http://www.meekcomic.com/. The characters were all relatively regular people, no aliens or anything like that, but something about the world made it seem like it wasn't totally normal, possibly in the scifi realm or at least slightly futuristic. As far as I can recall, it seemed sort of lightly comedic. The storytelling was a bit quirky, hence having a crossdressing guy as a recurring side character for seemingly no reason. There did seem to be a bigger overarching plot beginning though, not really a slice-of-life kind of story. I want to say I last saw it around the year 2009, possibly a bit later.
Firebreaf

Postby Jackalyte » December 11th, 2018, 4:00 am

Hello, first time on the forum but google has failed me for too long so I'm relying on human interaction.

Looking For: An old SJ horror comic with an average guy as the protagonist. The plot was a bit hard to follow so I've completely forgotten it, but it might have had something to do with killing everyone to save the world. It was full colour and heavily stylised, everyone had big horse-teeth and either no eyes or glowing circles. Pretty sure the title was one word.
The closest to the art style I could find is the stuff by Ben Templesmith, especially the nun he did for Gotham by Midnight.
https://i2.wp.com/bloody-disgusting.com ... 1200&ssl=1

Even if I could just find the comic's artist I'd be happy. :<
Last edited by eishiya on December 11th, 2018, 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please don't embed images that are larger than 1200x1200. Large images should be linked to instead.
Jackalyte

Postby Seven Rain » December 11th, 2018, 8:13 am

I think I know what/who you're talking about. The comic was called "Unstable" and the artist and comic have sadly seemed to have disappeared from SJ, but I follow him on FB and he still posts artwork there. His name's Chris Cote.
I don't know if any old Unstable pages are buried in there but he has a lot of art posted, the further back you go the more you'll find the stuff resembling what you were talking about.

*EDIT*
A little more digging and I found some Unstable art: https://www.facebook.com/ChrisCoteArt/p ... 400789622/
Seven Rain

Postby Jackalyte » December 11th, 2018, 9:06 pm

Seven Rain wrote:I think I know what/who you're talking about. The comic was called "Unstable" and the artist and comic have sadly seemed to have disappeared from SJ, but I follow him on FB and he still posts artwork there. His name's Chris Cote.
I don't know if any old Unstable pages are buried in there but he has a lot of art posted, the further back you go the more you'll find the stuff resembling what you were talking about.

*EDIT*
A little more digging and I found some Unstable art: https://www.facebook.com/ChrisCoteArt/p ... 400789622/

Yes that's it, thank-you!!!!!!!!
Have an internet smooch! :-*
Jackalyte

Postby Seven Rain » December 12th, 2018, 7:30 am

Glad to be of help!
Seven Rain

Postby eishiya » April 4th, 2019, 9:54 am

I'm looking for a movie from my childhood. I know this thread is mostly for comics, but this didn't seem worth its own thread. I've been occasionally looking up keywords to try to find it for years to no avail, seems like it's time to turn to humans for help :D

It was probably a horror film or possibly a TV show episode, and it definitely came out before 1998, possibly mid 90s judging by how I remember the CGI, but I could be wrong and it may be older. I don't remember the plot at all, but there were people (including kids) who would turn into ethereal glowing blue orbs. I think this usually happened near/in beds when they slept? I remember one bit where one child sunk into bed and an orb came out, at least. IIRC the orbs had a sort of water caustics effect on them and they were more white-and-dark/dull-blue rather than the more common bright blue glowy effect. It may have taken place at an evil orphanage, but I might just be making that up based on it involving children.

It's not "Strange Invaders", the only other thing I've been able to find that has people turning into blue orbs. I found one thread of someone else looking for this thing and they got the responses "Lifeforce" and "Cocoon", both of which are definitely not it.
eishiya

Postby Ulta » April 16th, 2019, 7:18 pm

I don't know why this has eluded me...

There is a youtube channel that I recall, which was/is mostly famous for it's videos where this guy did videogame 'reviews' while sounding like one of those movie announcers for commercials that advertise movies. His voice acting is really good, and he ended his videos sometimes with saying lines from commenters in that movie announcer voice. I know he did one on Pokemon for sure, but I know he did many others...

His voice is this guy at the end of this clip https://twitter.com/XCOM/status/1116793107713069056

WHAT IS THE NAME OF THIS CHANNEL???
Ulta

Postby eishiya » April 16th, 2019, 8:11 pm

Ulta wrote:I don't know why this has eluded me...

There is a youtube channel that I recall, which was/is mostly famous for it's videos where this guy did videogame 'reviews' while sounding like one of those movie announcers for commercials that advertise movies. His voice acting is really good, and he ended his videos sometimes with saying lines from commenters in that movie announcer voice. I know he did one on Pokemon for sure, but I know he did many others...

His voice is this guy at the end of this clip https://twitter.com/XCOM/status/1116793107713069056

The guy in that video is Jon Bailey, but I feel like I know the channel you're talking about and it's not that one...
eishiya

Postby Seven Rain » April 16th, 2019, 11:09 pm

Ulta wrote:I don't know why this has eluded me...

Sounds like you're thinking of "Honest Game Trailers" but I can't for the life of me find any that haven't been removed. I wonder if the channel got taken down.
Seven Rain

Postby Ulta » April 17th, 2019, 12:28 am

Seven Rain wrote:Sounds like you're thinking of "Honest Game Trailers" but I can't for the life of me find any that haven't been removed. I wonder if the channel got taken down.

YES! thank you! The channel is actually called Screen Junkies, or at least the movie version of those reviews are there. Thank you!
Ulta

Postby Reiz16 » May 3rd, 2019, 6:29 pm

There's an old cartoon I can't remember the name of but want to find it.

I remember there was a character with the name Storm E. Rain (I think), and her van runs on rainwater.

They have buttons for eyes.

Thanks for the help and have a nice day. :)
Reiz16

Postby Reiz16 » May 9th, 2019, 5:00 pm

I found out it was Lalaloopy, but thanks anyway! :D
Reiz16

Looking for a old Spider-man comic

Postby JainJude » July 15th, 2019, 9:58 am

Hey, so I really need help finding a old Spider man comic I owned back in the early 2000 I believe. There was a villain(?) that was dressed in a black suit without sleeves and he looked like he was made out of like clay, his head too and there was a line that went down the face top to bottom. He was able to change his arms into weapons and he fought Spider man at a junkyard iirc. I THINK it was the Chameleon but I can't find anything about him where he looks like he did back then. I've been searching forever and I honestly start to think it was all a dream
JainJude

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion