What inspired you to start drawing your own comics?

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Re: What inspired you to start drawing your own comics?

Postby ewolf20 » September 5th, 2018, 7:11 am

My main inspirations were french-belgian comics, anime, manga, and animals. another was all the kinda poorly drawn comics that taught me that you don't have to have the best looking thing in the world....yet still my perfectionism stops me.
ewolf20

Postby Rocatex » September 26th, 2018, 10:55 pm

What inspired me to start drawing (even though i'm not very good yet) is epicguitar from hatena/sudomemo now known as potoobrigham
Rocatex

Postby vanoso » November 26th, 2018, 4:12 pm

The first comic I ever wrote was in the 5th grade called "Kelly Fink: Awesome 5th Grader" and it chronicled her journeys with her best friend. I don't really remember what inspired me to start drawing comics, however I know I've pretty much always loved them. I took a break from them in high school very briefly, but now I'm working on a new comic. I'll start sharing it here once I have more pages done. :D
vanoso

Postby mitchellbravo » November 28th, 2018, 6:57 pm

I've always been interested in illustration as a storytelling medium. My inspiration for this comic came while I was on a high school band trip after having finished reading All Quiet on the Western Front. The music I listened to and all the things buzzing around in my head at the time- plus the need for something new to sink my teeth into- coalesced into a story that eventually became this comic. Odd to think it's been 13 years.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby simplykit19 » December 17th, 2018, 1:39 pm

a lot of things

anime
movies
cartoons
tv series
personal experiences
simplykit19

Postby The Santeri » December 19th, 2018, 9:30 am

Realizing that once you grab that pen and paper, you can create whatever world and story your mind can fantasize. As a kid and into my teens, once I found out that I could turn my own worlds and characters into possibilities, I grew addicted to drawing manga\comics and started seeing my characters as extension of myself.

I would say anime and comics primarily influenced my decision to get into this field of art (especially with my fondness to the 80s and 90s era of anime and Marvel comics), but to be honest, my biggest source of inspiration was music (Almost every kind). Music is the key to almost everything I've created and ever will. It's why I list musical references in each of my comics.
The Santeri

Postby MaruExposito » December 21st, 2018, 4:12 am

Although I wanted to be an animator, I was studying Japanese in Japan + working part time for something totally different. It stressed me very much not being able to be creative with a full project...

So, since I couldn't do animation alone at a reasonable speed, I started the story I wanted to tell (Windy Lightning) as a comic! And now it even has an animated chapter ^^

I would say that my passion for visual stories inspired me, although there were some other sources (podcasts, animation, manga,...). All in all, this is the best thing that happened to my life.
Webcomic + Anime
What if your magic separates you from who you love?
MaruExposito

Previous

Return to General Discussion