What inspired you to start drawing your own comics?

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

What inspired you to start drawing your own comics?

Postby SakuraFujio » July 6th, 2017, 4:35 am

Well for me I really love to draw since I was young~ I start drawing comics when I was around 10 years old! ><
Later I found out that I want to express the stories in my imagination in the forms of my own illustrations!! ^^
SakuraFujio

Re: What inspired you to start drawing your own comics?

Postby Jpolte » July 8th, 2017, 9:25 pm

I really love to doodle characters when I was little, and wanted to make a career off of it. I made From the Bell Tolls because when I was working at my janitor job as a school I picked up a Soul Eater manga, and something clicked. I started making them spooky ghouls and creeps because well, I love Halloween, and I rarely see any adventures of monster daily life that much. I'm still getting started and just finished the first story.
Jpolte

Postby kzuich » July 29th, 2017, 2:31 pm

When I was really little, maybe 4 or 5, I would make picture books that were basically comics.
It wasn't until I was a bit older that I read my first shoujo manga and realized that I could make comics, too, if I wanted.
kzuich

Postby Jonathan_Greer_ » July 31st, 2017, 4:22 pm

It all started with a character: Capt'n Heroic. I love the character and thought he was a ton of fun, so I wanted to let the world meet him. At first, my idea was to create animated cartoons and post them on YouTube. Buuuut, animation takes FOREVER, so I decided to start doing a Web Comic so that I can get more story out! I'm loving it so far. I only have 20 pages up, but it's so much fun to post!
Jonathan_Greer_

Postby DogSmilez » August 8th, 2017, 9:49 pm

The shows Dragonball, Yu Yu Hakusho, Pokemon, and Digimon as well as the game World of Warcraft had a huge impact on me a
when I was younger, and still does! So I thought what if I could blend those things into one pot while incorporating both eastern and western
styles in the mix? :)

I love shows mixes the modern era with the old school kind of like Bleach. Or in the cases like YuYu and Hunter X Hunter where its in a modern setting and characters rock traditional gear like kimono's and wudang robes but they have cell phones, laptops and the such. These shows and concepts gave birth to my desire to draw comics, and more so , my own series, since all I ever did was draw fan art of those shows. :D
DogSmilez

Postby FBphenom » August 8th, 2017, 11:11 pm

Ideas ran rampant in my mind if I didn't I would have went crazy
FBphenom

Postby Darksh1ne » August 28th, 2017, 4:04 am

Too much free time. Yeah, you heard right XD My previous job left me with a lot of free time when there were no clients, and I could have my own things with me and do whatever I wanted, but also being ready to get back to work. So 1st I tried to write a book, but then bought a tablet and started drawing. Fantasy was always my favorite genre, and... I'm a bit of a perv (tentacles and stuff, you know), so the choice of comic theme was pretty obvious.
Darksh1ne

Postby Nork King » August 28th, 2017, 4:11 am

I've been drawing for a long time but never really planned on making a comic. The inspiration that led me to making a comic was basically just being pissed off at how some stories ended lmao
Nork King

Postby Whimmery » September 1st, 2017, 11:49 pm

Manga got me into starting my own comics, but now I do specific stories because there is not more content of the things I want, so gonna make my own :mrgreen:
Whimmery

Postby candys » September 8th, 2017, 3:07 pm

reading manga and watching anime
candys

Postby tentacletomato » September 10th, 2017, 6:00 pm

There's no better time than the present to start a comic. I know if I just do it, it'll exist vs putting it off. Even if I lack comic skills, it's great discipline and practice. Just stop caring so much and draw like a moron
tentacletomato

Postby Guest » September 10th, 2017, 6:06 pm

I don't really remember... It was so long ago, I've been doing it since I was a kid.
But I know that my dreams inspire me a lot. So maybe that was it!

Postby MK_Wizard » September 30th, 2017, 7:49 pm

I always loved drawing since I was four and as I got older, I started just doing it in elementary school which of course were the kind you would expect of a kid, but as I got older and matured, so did my style and at one point, I started to draw and write more seriously. And now, I have a comic I am finally ready to public when done.
MK_Wizard

Postby JakiraJurosawa » September 30th, 2017, 11:56 pm

Yaoi. I had always thought comics were lame until yaoi. Then I was allll in.
Check my webcomic Crimes & Cars! http://crimeandcars.smackjeeves.com/
A story about the schemes and misadventures of a cold trophy-wife, Renée, and a cocky teen scoundrel, Rudy, set in circa 1930s. Stay tuned for all sorts of crazy twists!
JakiraJurosawa

Postby creca » October 25th, 2017, 1:08 pm

well, i think it started with a freind named Em, i think i can credit her with my first exposure to a webcomic, to be exact that web comic was homestuck, at some point i went onto mspaforums and started seeing fancomics, wanting to comment on them i decided to make an account, which led to me thinking of a (by my current standards) rather bad webcomic on the forums, then i met Alex because they were a fan of my webcomic and we started talking, after that encounter i started drawing non fan based webcomics, both faltering because the only tools i has were ms paint, then i eventually got krita but had no idea how to use it properly, not even knowing about layers until i got to 12th grade, then i went into a graphic desing class and started useing photoshop, learning a lot about layers and eventually learning to use krita to its full potential,then i found awful hospital thanks to tvtroups.com and got even more driven to make a webcomic, i wanted to make a webcomic that could stand on its own and thats when Alex told me about smackjeeves.com, so i decided to check it out, and now unwary mud exist

tldr, thanks Em,Alex,Hussie, and Wojcik (probs spelled wrong)
just your average bug loving biologist aspi

creca

Next

Return to General Discussion