is this your first comic?

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Re: is this your first comic?

Postby Imaginalex » December 24th, 2017, 2:12 pm

It's a project that i have in head for a very very long time, there were several previous versions that i wasn't very proud of and would not want to really share online out of shame, looking back at them, they aren't so bad but i still feel cringe a bit, even if i have a feel of nostalgia looking at them... ^^

I made some comics for awareness of fukushima radiation with a young boy going to school, needing to wear a full plate lead armor and his school case / mallet was also full of little lead plates, you could see him going across a wasteland of devastated homes and using a geiger counter to lead his way to school through radioactive rivers and broken roads, it was a nice little comic and i found it very amusing to do it.

Nowadays, Draan Lennart Askeladd is my main project and i work hard on it, even tho i can not really do colors well...
Imaginalex

Postby sarah.collins » September 7th, 2018, 8:44 am

It's not my first comic. I've gotten more than three pages out with art that I find acceptable :D
sarah.collins

Postby bmacbride » September 7th, 2018, 5:30 pm

The project I'm currently working on isn't my first comic, or the first comic I've published online. I've been trying to do comics/webcomics for probably like... I dunno, 15 years? I've been in love with the medium since I discovered manga as a kid, and even though I keep "failing" (dropping comic projects, failing to update regularly until I just stop, etc) I compulsively try again lol. Sometimes you just have a story to tell! I have a fine arts degree now, which is pretty far from anything comics-related, but I still just get the urge to draw stories all the time.

I think my biggest problem with making comics has always been having patience, and keeping at it, or at least picking it back up when I can. I always want to start posting a comic as soon as I have a few pages done, which leads to nothing in my buffer; when I haven't worked on one in a while, I go back and discover I hate my old art in the pages I DO have posted lol. So this time around, I am not posting any of my current project until I have the entire first chapter done, and even then it will only update one page per week. I also want to totally redo a webcomic I was drawing back in... 2014-2015? Which was fairly popular and well received, but that can just be improved upon quite a lot. ONE DAY I will get the hang of this lol.

Besides those two projects, as a kid I used to draw a Naruto fan-manga on theOtaku lol, as well as a slew of half-developed anime-type ideas that never made it past a few pages, and then right after high school I attempted another manga-type project TWO different times, both got dropped after around 30 pages... maybe it's a curse lol.
bmacbride

Postby MouseWithADinosaurTail » September 9th, 2018, 1:15 pm

It is my first comic ever! Ive technically worked on webcomics before, but they got cancelled very early, and I was never more than a writer and occasional colorist. So my current comic now is my first! I'm using it to learn how to draw. :D
MouseWithADinosaurTail

Postby Team Stormbow » September 9th, 2018, 2:08 pm

Stormbow is my first serious, multi-chapter comic, but I have drawn short, one-page comics before (I have since I was six, I think)
Team Stormbow

Postby pixlyJolt » September 9th, 2018, 2:26 pm

MK_Wizard wrote:Just a curious question.

Is the comic you are sharing now your first true comic or did you have other ideas?

Me, it really is my first.

Oof. Eh, I guess it would not be my first, considering I have worked hard on some stuff for more than 5 weeks, but some I just left out in the open, left to die with no fans, no love, abandoned with all the Minecraft & roblox works... :shock:
oof
YT: pixlblox9099 the Jolteon
pixlyJolt

Postby Lutztoons » September 9th, 2018, 4:44 pm

Krazy Noodle Massacre isn't my first comic, but it is the first one I've ever shared on an actual webcomics hosting site. I've been writing stories and drawing pictures to go along with them ever since I was a little kid, but I never got around to making a real, finished comic until I was 17. Even though I wanted to make a comic, I was so acutely aware of how much sheer labor went into the process that I avoided it.

My first finished comic is called "A Rhapsody in Glue." For reasons not even he understands, my character Gideon drinks so much school glue and coffee that he vividly hallucinates. The story follows him as he tries to awaken from his phantasmagoric dream state. Even though the execution has some flaws because my skill set wasn't quite there yet, I'm still exceptionally proud of it. I'm thinking about tweaking some of the flaws in the layout and re-lettering the whole thing, then posting it both here and ComicFury.

As of right now, I'm confident in my abilities to make comics. My main problem is figuring out how to maintain a consistent update schedule. Plus, I'm returning to college next semester to earn my Associate's degree in Graphic Design because my BFA in Painting has turned out to be kinda useless, so that's going to make things a bit more difficult. I'm not going to drop my comic, I care about it way too much. Working on it might be the thing that keeps me sane when I'm doing coursework, so there ya go.
Lutztoons

Postby kayotics » September 11th, 2018, 3:26 pm

Ingress Adventuring Company is not my first, technically. In high school I tried to make one that I didn't really have any ideas for. It didn't get very far, but it was good practice. Then I took a course in comics one summer between my junior and senior years of high school, and made a bunch of short comics. They ranged from 1 to 6 pages. That was also about 9 years ago.

I consider my current comic to be my first "real" comic. It's the first one I've put any amount of thought behind more than completing an assignment and it's the first one I've started since completing art school. It's also been SO LONG since I did any other comics (9 years), that I might as well be starting fresh.
kayotics

Postby kytri » September 11th, 2018, 6:41 pm

Crypts and Cantrips isn't my first comic, TBH I've sort of lost count at this point. I've been drawing comics since I was a teen and I like to try different things.
kytri

Postby EmperorWalrusComics » September 12th, 2018, 11:44 pm

Queen of Hearts is my first comic attempting to develop an actual plot. I'm more accustomed to drawing comedic strip-comics.

It's an interesting experience, so far. There's a lot of plot points I have to keep track of while also keeping track of which ones have/haven't been revealed to the reader.
EmperorWalrusComics

Postby GreenRaptorStudios » September 18th, 2018, 1:57 pm

It's my first ongoing comic, but I did some smaller ones that died off in middle and high school. I am working to start up a new comic this november that will be a one shot.
GreenRaptorStudios

Postby MissMarck » September 21st, 2018, 8:41 am

Dazer and Eleanor isn't my first attempt... but it's the first one that I've taken seriously enough to make more than a dozen pages!
MissMarck

Postby Otto Gruenwald » October 18th, 2018, 1:57 pm

Tried to get a webcomic about superhuman cavemen going but it fell flat and is now being converted into a book. I consider The Power of Stardust to be my first real go at it.
Otto Gruenwald

Postby mitchellbravo » October 19th, 2018, 8:27 pm

Otto Gruenwald wrote:Tried to get a webcomic about superhuman cavemen going but it fell flat and is now being converted into a book. I consider The Power of Stardust to be my first real go at it.

Welcome to SJ, by the way.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby ThistleFox » October 21st, 2018, 12:38 am

The comic I'm working on right now is my first one ever ! It can be a little hard to keep up with my planned update schedule since being an adult can get in the way of things sometimes :/ but it's been the most fun I ever had making a project. It feels good to have a medium where I can put my art skills and passion for writing and storytelling together ! :D ((it was also fun to read everyone elses responses. It's nice to know I'm not the first one just starting out, and comforting to read from people who've been at it for a while)
ThistleFox

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion