What are you working on with your art right now?

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

What are you working on with your art right now?

Postby mitchellbravo » October 9th, 2017, 8:04 pm

I was going to post in the "your day in webcomics" thread, but figured I'd start a new topic and maybe get a few more people posting who don't always post in that thread :)

What are you working on with your art right now? Are you trying out a new shading technique? Trying to work smarter not harder? Working on making your characters more visually distinct?

Me, I'm just trying to get back to drawing more regularly. September was a total bust, I didn't draw at all I don't think. The past few days I've been reconnecting with my story and my characters and have been working on pages again, which feels great. Some personal issues have subsided (and others have cropped up lol) which has guided me back to my comic. I'm glad, because it was getting to where I started to wonder if I was ever going to be dedicated to it again. I'm not back 100%, but I'm more invested than I've been in a long time. I'm busy, so I don't always have time in the day, but if I can start doing it at least a few tmes a week I think I could get back into the swing of things. Man, I used to put out 60+ updates a year :? :?
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Re: What are you working on with your art right now?

Postby UrbanMysticDee » October 9th, 2017, 8:38 pm

Just art in general

I've got three maps I'm working on. It's what I do. It started in 2008 when I was reading a book and it had no maps so I wanted to make a map of Afghanistan so I knew what they were talking about. I'm working on a map of the entire world. From that I'm adapting it into future maps, 2023 and 2050, for my book series. I need to make the modern real world first so I know what changes.
Image Image
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby ossutrich » October 10th, 2017, 5:42 am

Oh nice! I feel like I couldn't post about this in the my day in webcomics thread because I am not working on webcomics so much at the moment because I tend to be to strict with my art to finish one (or even post it) so I have been focussing on just individual drawings for now.
My current focus is to get more comfortable with backgrounds and colors. And things like more complex scenes with multiple characters, how do they interact with each other and how to make them in proportion with the background.
ossutrich

Postby MK_Wizard » October 10th, 2017, 7:06 pm

Well, I want to finish my book before the end of the year comes, but immediately before that, I want to finish my side project first which I am doing someplace else.
ImageImage
MK_Wizard

Postby cloverthegreat » October 10th, 2017, 9:01 pm

I'm working with markers partially because they're better at teaching coloring than straight up digital. They are a total pain in the butt right now though and once I'm done with this stupid chapter I'm not going to use them for comic pages for awhile.
cloverthegreat

Postby mitchellbravo » November 26th, 2017, 9:22 pm

Still generally working on the same thing as I was in the OP of this thread.

I was just looking through my archive and getting kind of bummed because it feels like I peaked as an artist about... like 2-3 years ago right before I went on a really long hiatus, like there was this point where I was drawing pretty regularly, my linework was the best it's ever been, my coloring was deliberate and actually kind of nice sometimes, like all of my skills kind of culminated somewhere during chapter 6... then post-hiatus you can see a marked decline in skill, and I know a lot of it is just muscle memory and stuff I could refresh myself on, but I had so much more mental energy to commit to art stuff back then and I really miss that. Like I still have all the same books and resources that helped me get to where i was, I just don't have the time and energy to climb back up that hill? I tried a few months back rereading the book that really helped me grasp color in general, but couldn't plug all the way through it, and I just think it would take a lot of time of actually practicing to get back to where I was, let alone progress further.

Trying not to be disappointed, because I know that the disappointment can itself be discouraging and lead me to not work when I should......
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby Dandelion__ » November 26th, 2017, 11:14 pm

I'm just working on learning the process of making my comic. I do a mix of traditional and digital. It's taking forever just to put a page out because Im still learning the tools. But the few pages I do have out are lookin okay I think.
Dandelion__

Postby Oly-RRR » November 27th, 2017, 4:59 pm

Definitely trying to figure out the whole "smarter not harder" thing since it's... not something I practised much before.

Changing my routines with Cop Story a tad: going to try batching, and being less anal about inking and (most importantly) making digital feel like a more natural process, the way I feel about traditional. I'm not going to colour Chapter 1 traditionally again because at this point it's about finding the right (read: affordable in the long run) tools and it's better to try on a smaller separate story. I can't get around to actually working on that smaller "trial" story though but I'm thinking about it.

I also "gave myself the permission" to think up stories other than Cop Story - I used to stuff everything in that setting because I was afraid of having a second project that would "compete" with Cop Story but at the end of the day Cop Story is this branching out thing that has competing parts within itself so what the hell. If I can work something into it I still do it, if I have an idea and some fundamental part of it doesn't fit into what I have "not an actual example but: DRAGONS) then oh well, I can ponder on it and see what happens. I think doing something is usually better than doing nothing, and I spent too much time feeling stuck and doing nothing. Feeling okay about Cop Story right now so not even working on other ideas much but allowing myself the possibility definitely helped there. Funny how that works??? :lol:

I started drawing people on public transport again! So after I go out and commute somewhere I tend to end up with a handful of sketches that I ink and sometimes colour, and I'm really loose about it, it's the space to try something new. Sometimes I add backgrounds (like a forest instead of the bus interior) and just draw randomless. It seems both helpful and relaxing, and it's not so scary drawing in public now that everyone and their grandmother is staring into mobile phones. :lol:

I haven't really decided what to do with those sketches! A friend suggested putting together a digital sketchbook and putting it on Gumroad or something but knowing me I'll probably just upload it all to my usual art haunts.

I definitely feel better about my whole art process now that I leave some time both for the comic and random sketchbook doodles - I'm not saying it's how everyone should do it but it's definitely the way to go for me. I used to have all those unfinished sketchbooks and a lot of anxiety, now there's only four left (not counting stuff I use for comic pages only) and I'm progressing through them steadily. It's not about filling them up fast or to a certain date but it feels good to be filling them up.

mitchellbravo wrote:I just think it would take a lot of time of actually practicing to get back to where I was, let alone progress further.

I think sometimes practising IS the only thing that really helps - like there's only so much mental preparation you can do. If it's any consolation, I've been there and I think re-learning art things usually goes faster than learning it for the first time, though it's more frustrating somehow. But yeah, you can do it. Maybe set some time aside - doesn't have to be daily but still a routine of some sort?

Dandelion__ wrote:I'm just working on learning the process of making my comic. I do a mix of traditional and digital.

Mixing digital and traditional is tricky, I can relate! I'm still figuring it out too. ;)
You can't compare shooting a stag with lasers to putting on women's clothing!!! - Liz Carr on Ouch!
You know you're overweight when your stab-vest starts riding up and looking a bit like a crop-top... - Alfie Moore
Oly-RRR

Postby Emevsa » November 27th, 2017, 6:03 pm

Currently trying to work on a way to get pages coloured quickly. I really upped my backgrounds and whilst they look pretty OK, it's taking a while to get it all done. Backgrounds have always been a weak point of mine.
Emevsa

Postby Vitotamito » December 6th, 2017, 8:33 pm

Currently trying out using some new brushes in Photoshop. The 2018 release came with all of the Kyle Webster brushes for free, so uh, yeah, definitely a necessary download. I highly recommend it to everyone else here, too.
https://www.kylebrush.com/
Sonic-ock wrote:Prepare yourself for the gay adventures of Kuro the dragonwolf and Shiro the wolfdragon.

Vitotamito

Postby eishiya » December 6th, 2017, 8:34 pm

Vitotamito wrote:Currently trying out using some new brushes in Photoshop. The 2018 release came with all of the Kyle Webster brushes for free, so uh, yeah, definitely a necessary download. I highly recommend it to everyone else here, too.
https://www.kylebrush.com/

"My brushes are now exclusively available to Creative Cloud members and won’t be available anywhere else." ):
eishiya

Postby Oly-RRR » December 7th, 2017, 9:12 pm

eishiya wrote:"My brushes are now exclusively available to Creative Cloud members and won’t be available anywhere else."

Well that's a dick move, especially for an individual creator making things for individual creators. I guess Adobe pays well. :roll:
You can't compare shooting a stag with lasers to putting on women's clothing!!! - Liz Carr on Ouch!
You know you're overweight when your stab-vest starts riding up and looking a bit like a crop-top... - Alfie Moore
Oly-RRR

Return to General Discussion