The Green Thread!

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

The Green Thread!

Postby MK_Wizard » October 22nd, 2017, 5:58 pm

Who here is a lover of keeping it green and is pro recycling and loving the planet? Then this thread is for you! Share recycling and green ideas for energy, keeping clean and even fun on this thread!
MK_Wizard

Re: The Green Thread!

Postby UrbanMysticDee » October 22nd, 2017, 6:11 pm

I recycle just about everything, even stuff that I'm not sure is recyclable, just to be safe.

I've also written, probably not as extensively as I should, about the looming crisis of running out of groundwater and phosphates that make modern agriculture possible. The implications aren't exactly fun, so I'll try not to get into details about that. As to the solution could be, that's a tough one. If we had a limitless source of clean energy (or if the government would allow us to use it - thorium) then we could just build desalinization plants to get as much water as we need. As for getting more phosphorus, I don't know, we could re-engineer the sewage system so we're wasting our waste, but that doesn't begin to touch just how much of this stuff we need to keep up with agricultural production.
Image Image
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby MK_Wizard » October 22nd, 2017, 7:41 pm

Fascinating!
MK_Wizard

Postby ossutrich » October 23rd, 2017, 5:01 am

I separate my trash, not sure if it really gets recycled though.
I don't think I am really green, I am way to attached to my electricity and spend days using my computer because I love to use it to draw. And I still love to buy my potato chips even though the bags they come in are nearly impossible to recycle.

I have turned vegan though, because of the effects of things like factory farming on the environment. Also I am against people getting more than two children in connection with the growth of the world population...

Currently I am really worried about the decrease of diversity in plant and animal species. Though I am really sure the environment issue is something that should be solved on a political level, I don't believe I can change it as a consumer.
ossutrich

Postby MK_Wizard » October 23rd, 2017, 6:28 am

Being green does not mean being perfect. I think that is a huge leap.
MK_Wizard

Postby MK_Wizard » October 23rd, 2017, 7:43 am

If you have baking soda and vinegar, you have everything you need to clean your home! No more toxic sprays or chemicals. Follow the link to learn. It changed my life.

Hooray for vinegar and baking soda!
MK_Wizard

Postby UrbanMysticDee » October 23rd, 2017, 3:39 pm

ossutrich wrote:Currently I am really worried about the decrease of diversity in plant and animal species. Though I am really sure the environment issue is something that should be solved on a political level, I don't believe I can change it as a consumer.

That's actually an interesting question, the proper role of government in protecting the environment.

I certainly applaud the work of past presidents like Theodore Roosevelt or Richard Nixon who took tremendous strides toward environmental protection. Most people don't know that Nixon did more to protect the environment than any other president before or since. I unequivocally believe that there should be some governmental protection of the environment, and that's one of the big reasons why I can't stand libertarians, because they believe in utopian fantasy where corporations will protect the environment because it's good business, and at the same time that if a corporation owns land they can destroy it as they see fit because it's their property. Government definitely has to do something, because normal people just don't care. There's indication that general view of the environment is increasing, modern people are a lot better than the "noble savages" eco-primitivists seem to love so much, even though they ran whole herds of bison off cliffs to get the meat off of a couple of individual animals, and who burnt whole swathes of forest to use for farmland for a couple seasons before depleting the soil and moving on. People aren't going to protect the environment on their own, they're too lazy.

That said, at least 80% of everything the government does in the name of protecting the environment is creating political slush funds and taking away people's rights to protect legal monopolies, like how collecting rainwater is illegal in certain jurisdictions and how subsidies for failed solar companies are nothing but looting public money to pay back political donors.

It's a very very fine line to walk. While I personally want to see poachers get shot in the face and whaling ships sunk with their crew on board, and their families hunted down so these barbaric practices are wiped from the face of the earth, I know that it would be an absolute nightmare to give the government that kind of power. It's a real dilemma, and one that I don't have an answer for.

I think the real solution would just be to make agriculture more efficient. As is it takes an acre of land to feed one person. Land, and water, and other resources are used in such a grossly inefficient way. The problem is right now the only power source abundant and cheap enough to be used to grow crops is the Sun. Until the legal nuclear monopoly is ended and we can use more efficient lighting to grow crops vertically or something then we're stuck growing plants in dirt outside, and all that that entails.
Image Image
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby MK_Wizard » October 23rd, 2017, 3:46 pm

... whoa. Now that is insightful. I know I try to grow my own stuff and so far, I sprouted little trees saplings. So at least I am cleaning the air.
MK_Wizard

Postby darkenergy » October 23rd, 2017, 9:32 pm

I'm vegetarian, buuut was raised as such so it isn't that hard. I come from a culture that regards beans as a main dish in their own right.

Lately I've shifted away from milk and butter (there's finally non disgusting alternatives), although I'm pretty addicted to yogurt and pizza still.

I tried vermiculture but got a bad batch so that's over for now...trying to cut back on my plastic use. No more straws, for one.
darkenergy

Postby MK_Wizard » October 23rd, 2017, 10:22 pm

I can't go vegetarian... I have a nut allergy and I love meat, eggs and milk too much. I make up for it in other things like recycling, low energy, reusing and banning chemical products.
MK_Wizard

Postby JoKeR » October 24th, 2017, 8:13 am

What are chemical products?

-=: jokercologne.deviantart twitter.com/JoKeRcologne joker-cologne.tumblr :=-

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
JoKeR

Postby darkenergy » October 24th, 2017, 10:59 pm

MK_Wizard wrote:I can't go vegetarian... I have a nut allergy and I love meat, eggs and milk too much. I make up for it in other things like recycling, low energy, reusing and banning chemical products.

Vegetarians eat eggs and milk, vegans avoid all animal products (some take it as far as refusing honey). The nut allergy definitely makes that much harder, though I'd recommend checking out world cuisine (my parents are Indian, and I can say we've got a bunch of vegetarian dishes that are filling, taste good, and don't use nuts).
darkenergy

Postby LemPem » October 26th, 2017, 1:47 am

Really good thread!
I recycle as much as I can, get angry when it doesn't say how to recycle on the packaging and nag people who don't recycle. I'm trying to go more vegetarian and I think I've reduced my meat consumption with maybe 60-70% so far? But homemade burgers and pizza are so delicious when it's meat...!
I love my plants but am not very good at taking care of them... I'm thinking of starting to grow easy things like tomatoes and herbs.
As for transportation I live in a small town where everything you need is no less than an hour's walk away so I walk/bike everywhere. I think I've taken the bus once since I moved here 1,5 years ago.
Looking forward to see some green tips here! I'm afraid I can't think of any right now to share!
LemPem

Postby Gary Miller » October 27th, 2017, 3:22 am

I support the idea of recycling plastic boottles.
The main innovative betway mobile app feature is that you will get faster loading speeds. Also you will be able to play all your favourite games in few moments.
Gary Miller

Postby MK_Wizard » October 27th, 2017, 7:30 am

Hey if you guys are also interested into green technology, check out the Tesla website. They make more than just cars.
MK_Wizard

Next

Return to General Discussion