Utopia Next - Discussion on Future Tech and Society

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Re: Utopia Next - Discussion on Future Tech and Society

Postby UrbanMysticDee » July 31st, 2018, 9:26 pm

Didn't they recently test the first ever driverless bus in Las Vegas or something? It immediately got into an accident and, I can't say for certain, I think I recall someone getting killed.

Now imagine a bus that can fly. It's not a vehicle, it's a missile with people inside. No, I don't trust pilotless flying cars.

At the same time I don't trust flying cars where any idiot can get a license and fly it. The test to get a license to drive a car in the US is so easy any idiot can get one. Someone dies in a car accident every 5 minutes or something. Now imagine those cars are missiles with people inside.

Every single flying car is a kamikaze weapon just looking to cause death and destruction. I don't trust these things and I see no reason to trust them for the foreseeable future.
Image Image
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby sunseeker25 » August 13th, 2018, 7:04 pm

UrbanMysticDee wrote:Didn't they recently test the first ever driverless bus in Las Vegas or something? It immediately got into an accident and, I can't say for certain, I think I recall someone getting killed.

Now imagine a bus that can fly. It's not a vehicle, it's a missile with people inside. No, I don't trust pilotless flying cars.

At the same time I don't trust flying cars where any idiot can get a license and fly it. The test to get a license to drive a car in the US is so easy any idiot can get one. Someone dies in a car accident every 5 minutes or something. Now imagine those cars are missiles with people inside.

Every single flying car is a kamikaze weapon just looking to cause death and destruction. I don't trust these things and I see no reason to trust them for the foreseeable future.

Not immediately, but there was a problem with a fatality that should have been prevented in the area.
sunseeker25

Postby sunseeker25 » August 13th, 2018, 7:39 pm

Here's the topic for today - please share your thoughts in a comment!

I probably would, assuming there weren't side effects to whatever is stopping you from gaining weight. Things like sugar and fat subsitutes have a history of causing problems, and I'd rather not deal with that if I don't have to.
sunseeker25

Postby UrbanMysticDee » August 14th, 2018, 6:38 pm

I eat food to gain weight. I'm under weight and I'm half way to reaching normal and it's damn near impossible to eat enough to get there.

I also don't have time to eat food. I have to work, and work starts at a crappy time and is ridiculousy long and don't have time to eat food. I need to condense half a day's worth of calories into a single meal to survive.
Image Image
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby sunseeker25 » September 10th, 2018, 6:33 pm

The things that I am really, really looking forward to are functions like cancer screenings and real-time heart monitoring. Seeing as how cancer, when caught early, is usually not a problem, being able to regularly screen myself (possible automatically) would all but ensure that I wouldn't die from it even if I developed it. Similarly, heart attacks are the #1 killer of people in my country, so knowing if I ever developed heart problems would similarly give me a lot of protection.
sunseeker25

Postby sunseeker25 » October 1st, 2018, 7:07 pm

NOTE: A memory tap is an electronic device that locates and displays the memories of the subject for others to see/hear, and also records such.

Assuming that the process was, in its entirety, non-harmful, the main problem with this is the usual: it being abused to extract data that has nothing to do with illegal acts. We unfortunately always have to be mindful of the balance between security and freedom means giving up some of both, and the line may need to move from time to time. A "memory tap" reads the memories of the subject, and presumably does it accurately, and therefore can be used to determine not only guilt but other information that can be used to protect people (associates, plans, locations, etc.) and it's hard to say that has no place, but the abusability factor is immense.
sunseeker25

Postby sunseeker25 » October 15th, 2018, 7:41 pm

NOTE: For the purpose of this discussion, I mean robots that don't have human handlers, that are operating automatically.

The first autonomous robotic surgery systems are being tested right now, and it looks promising in the sense that these can do surgeries far faster and with far fewer errors than a human could. The thing that I (and I think most people) are worried about is how stable is the system platform that the robot operates on; is it going to always do what it is supposed to and not break down at a terrible time? No machine is perfect and neither is any human; it's not reasonable to expect them to be foolproof, and if they do a better job than a human would that should be enough to justify using them. So I think that if they're proven safe to that standard or better, I would be comfortable having them operate on me for approved procedures.
sunseeker25

Postby Otto Gruenwald » October 15th, 2018, 8:57 pm

Didn't Harlan ellison write about robot docs replacing human docs?

Regardless, the answer to human vs machine is always that they get outdone by human plus machine because they don't excell at the same kind of thinking. Machines can beat the greatest go player. They can't beat the greatest Starcraft player. It's tactics vs strategy, and you need both to win a war.

Centaurs are the way of the future.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... e-centaurs
Otto Gruenwald

Postby JoKeR » October 16th, 2018, 3:38 pm

Interesting read, thanks.

-=: jokercologne.deviantart twitter.com/JoKeRcologne joker-cologne.tumblr :=-

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
JoKeR

Postby sunseeker25 » October 22nd, 2018, 6:45 pm

I think it's important to have a universal medical interface, mostly because it will allow for much better cooperation between medical technologies. It will also vastly cut down on the chance of infection, which is always a serious problem in hospitals. Beyond that, it will really encourage the further miniaturization and streamlining of new device options as they come out, which will make things better for patients and medical providers alike; it's possible that some people might even choose to wear theirs most or all of the time, making medical interventions truly "plug-and-go" as need be. That could really save lives.
sunseeker25

Postby sunseeker25 » October 29th, 2018, 6:59 pm

I've already heard talk about pacemakers being hacked, so yes, I am worried about this. My main concern is that it always seems like IoT (Internet of Things) companies have security as last on their list if it is on it at all, which makes no sense to me. I believe that IF they took it seriously, the problem would be controllable, but as things now stand I would seriously want to consider not having a wireless capacity of any kind on any BCI I might eventually opt to get in order to at least stop some of the problem, and that might not be enough. I pretty much am not allowing my brain of all things to be messed with if I can help it at all, which would definitely include not getting a BCI unless for some medical reason I had to. This is a shame, since I realize a BCI could also do a lot of good - but not at the risk of my life and health.
sunseeker25

Postby sunseeker25 » November 5th, 2018, 7:44 pm

I have read reports that the American and Chinese military are both working on railgun tech, and I know that drone warfare is becoming an increasing factor as well. It seems to me that by 2118 a lot of warfare will be done via automated drones, or at least ones controlled remotely by humans. I think that both air and ground drones will be a big deal, replacing human fighters, their vehicles and fighter aircraft, and that if railgun tech is in fact made viable it will mean a lot of fire exchanges will be done over very long ranges. This is not necessarily good, as it will probably encourage more fighting due to the lower troop cost of doing warfare, which might result in as many or more people getting killed overall.
sunseeker25

Postby UrbanMysticDee » November 5th, 2018, 11:13 pm

3 points.

Point #1: Railguns

There are two main problems with railguns, both illustrated with this video:

That's not a weapon, that's a building that uses 25 megawatts of power. Any vehicle that carries a railgun would require a nuclear reactor to power it.

The second problem is so much of that power is wasted. It sets the air on fire. All that heat is totally wasted. It contributes nothing to the lethality of the weapon. It also destroyes the barrel very quickly.

And railgun technology is going nowhere fast. In the past three decades pretty much nothing has changed.

In that same time H-bombs went from this:

to this:

Point #2: More people dying in war because of drones

Point #3: China as a serious military threat in 2118

And it's late, so I'll get to points 2 and 3 tomorrow.
Image Image
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby sunseeker25 » November 12th, 2018, 8:10 pm

I may or may not be in the minority, but I don't feel that I need "superpowers", beyond anything that serves to keep me alive. If we assume for a moment that there isn't equivalent equipment that does the same thing as bionics (meaning, that you don't need surgery for) , I would only be interested in things that gave me increased resistance to harm or that would heal me faster than normal. By definition, this would also keep me from aging, as aging is based on harm to my body. Things like super speed, super strength, or other powers are not something I presently feel I would want to undergo surgery for - but I reserve the right to change my mind in the future, especially if the world itself changes to something that I might need these things for.
sunseeker25

Postby UrbanMysticDee » November 12th, 2018, 10:18 pm

This is, at least exoterically, the subject of at first a short story and now part of a much larger book that I've put on the back burner. I find the idea problematic, to say the least. I think it's born out of extreme narcissism, or narcissistic personality disorder. And that's my expert opinion, because while I'm not an expert I happen to believe my opinion is expert. There are people whose egos are so absolutely fragile, whose views of themselves are so sick and perverse that any humanity that they have has either been buried beneath layers fictional personae or has been killed completely.

I've made it clear at least three times in different threads that I think it's obvious beyond doubt that the 40 richest people on the planet want to use technology to live forever and see the rest of us as organs to be harvested (David Rockefeller notoriously had 5 heart transplants, including one at age 104 where the odds of surviving another 6 months is 50-50, and he lost that coin toss so his brand new heart went to rot in the ground instead of giving a dying kid the shot at a full life) and as slaves to be worked to death.

And I think that, while not proven, it is highly likely that they are testing these body modification procedures on equally fragile individuals who they see as expendable. And they are doing everything they can to increase the pool of guinea pigs willing to undergo human experimentation in order to perfect their methods.

I think there is a real possibility within I don't want to say my lifetime because I've no idea how long I'll live, but within the typical lifetime of someone my age that we will see society diverge into a minority of modified humans who will have special privileges and protections that the elite deem them and the non-modified majority who will increasingly become second-tier citizens.

And this says nothing about the rightness of modifying the body beyond the fact that body modification or enhancement or whatever they want to call it is being pushed by people with sinister, selfish motives. It may be something totally neutral, like a pesticide that could be used to save lives or to end them. Modifying the body itself is not good or bad, I don't think, it's just that the elite are using it to divide society and cement their power indefinitely.

As for me, I just want the pain to stop. I want to repair the nerve damage that makes my life hell every day.
Image Image
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Previous

Return to General Discussion