Construction lines: Should i stop relying on them?

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Construction lines: Should i stop relying on them?

Postby ewolf20 » September 10th, 2018, 9:30 pm

when i seem some artist draw, notice they never seem to use shapes or sketchy 3d dimensional shapes to build form. they just draw it out like it's nothing. when i attempt to do the same my art looks like crap as a result (no wonder i don't sell sketches). As an artist, is there a way to stop relying on them so much? feel like it make my drawings really despite the fact it helps with consistency?
ewolf20

Re: Construction lines: Should i stop relying on them?

Postby eishiya » September 10th, 2018, 10:16 pm

Everyone's techniques differ, so do what works for you! Some visualise things mentally, some people prefer to have their thoughts down on paper. People also visualise the body differently - some people need to break it down into basic forms, while others have a detailed 3D model of the body in their heads. If you feel your construction lines help you, then keep using them! Draw the ones you need, skip the ones you don't need, and eventually you might find yourself needing fewer of them as you get more comfortable with the things you're drawing.

It's good in general to think in terms of construction though! If you find yourself thinking more in terms of lines of the drawing, then chances are you've developed "formulas" for how to draw things, which will limit your improvement and versatility.
eishiya

Postby EmperorWalrusComics » September 12th, 2018, 11:40 pm

It all depends on how you like to work. I've noticed that people with rounder or more realistic styles tend to favor them, while people with flatter or looser styles will tend to discard them to keep their art from looking rigid. But even those generalizations aren't always true.
EmperorWalrusComics

Postby Zin Trollborn » September 13th, 2018, 3:42 am

To become able to draw things out of nothing and not looking like crap, I guess it comes from a lot of time of habits and experience.
Like Eishiya said, you can remove little by little some of the lines.
I have one friend who only draw a simple line, just to know the angle inclination she wants for a character's body, then she draws around it.
Just a comic banner down here.
Spoiler! :
Zin Trollborn

Return to General Discussion