are superheroes as a concept...silly?

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

are superheroes as a concept...silly?

Postby ewolf20 » October 7th, 2018, 11:58 am

like superheroes were founded on the foundation of wearing spandex and flying around fighting crime. i don't why i asked, i just sometimes wonder why some folks loathe superheroes so much. i guess maybe tropes like white and black morality, crazy storylines,other things turn some people off.
ewolf20

Re: are superheroes as a concept...silly?

Postby Squirreltastic-Blue » October 7th, 2018, 12:31 pm

I feel personally attacked. Just kidding.
Super heroes appeal because they're beyond what people can do normally, just like cartoons. They're a really fun idea to explore and many heroes do not wear spandex including The Powerpuff Girls, The Incredible Hulk, and my own characters such as Nick Polar Bear who wears jeans and a windbreaker.
Many of the stories will start out as a black and white conflict, but if they're well thought out or long enough to allow it, the stories will become more colourful.
If people you speak to hate super hero stories, they're more likely overexposed to them because of the super hero movie boom in the last 10 years.
Tropes are our friends. You just gotta learn to use them effectively and not necessarily have a checklist of them making sure you hit them all.

As a concept, are super heroes silly? If silly means not realistic, then yes.
But that's what makes them fun and exciting like most media.
Squirreltastic-Blue

Postby Zin Trollborn » October 7th, 2018, 1:40 pm

A silly concept? Nah, the concept is great.
What's better than buff men and sexy women wearing tight spandex while beating bad guys? :mrgreen:
And the stories can get so deep and intricate sometimes, there's just wayyyyy more things than that. The only silly thing is to summary superheroes comics as some dude flying around and fighting crime.
Thinking I say that and I'm not even a lot in superheroes comics.

However, for some reasons, I loathe most of the Marvel movies.
Just a comic banner down here.
Spoiler! :
Zin Trollborn

Postby Rocatex » October 7th, 2018, 11:22 pm

but why the movies are awesome
Rocatex

Postby M-24 » October 8th, 2018, 3:50 am

I get what you mean, sometimes I do think superheroes are a bit cringey or silly, but mostly when I take a step back and muse about how they would really appear if they existed in real life. Some tropes/outfits/superpowers are only acceptable with heaping doses of suspension of disbelief, otherwise everything would seem foolish if you focus on how 'realistic' it really is.

For example, I'm currently writing about a group of people who gain enhanced abilities and use them to fight, but I avoid giving them superhero-like aliases/outfits or 'a sudden urge to serve the greater good' because I'm trying to keep it within the realm of reality.

I think only people who don't know how to use their imagination and scoff at the fantasy genre (like my mother) really find superheroes silly.
M-24

Postby Experi » October 8th, 2018, 11:52 am

I think the simple answer to this question is no, they're not a silly concept at all. They're fun. But the more complex answer is really that it depends on the reader's personal tastes, and what individual viewers want from their superhero stories.

The superhero genre has been around for a long time now, and while it's enjoyable, I think it's really easy for the genre to fall into to same tropes again and again, which can make it boring and repetitive. Not that there's anything wrong with tropes as a principle. Tropes can still be great. Something becomes a trope because it works well as a story telling device. I got nothing against tropes, I just don't want to read/watch the same five tropes again and again. (Unless the creator is doing something with that trope to subvert my expectation of it, of course, in which case hell yes.)

As for my own personal opinion, I think where a lot of superhero genres/worlds fall short (*coughcough*MARVEL MOVIES*cough*) is that they don't follow any real, hard rules. There's no real system to the way people's superpowers work, and people have wildly different powers/rules to how their powers work. (X-Men.) If everyone can potentially do anything, then really no-one is bound to make much of a lasting impact on me. I'm just left confused and ambivalent, wondering what the rules of the story's world are. (Also, characterization tends to fall to the wayside in favor of big flashy special effects, which just leaves a lot of the marvel movies feeling hollow to me.)

Give me a world where there are set limitations to what people's powers can be/what people are capable of. Show me how characters struggle to overcome those limitations, how they work around them. Show me how people struggle with their powers, how their magic gets in the way and makes things difficult for them. Show me how people's power is used against them, can be used to hurt them. Show me how POC and LGBTQ+ people exist inside these limitations just as much as white/cis folks. (Not that all of these things don't already exist. They do. I just want MORE of them in the mainstream.)

Make it interesting, even if you're using classic tropes. I think that the superhero genre is great and still has so much more to give us!
Experi

Postby Gibson Twist » October 8th, 2018, 6:03 pm

Superheroes are absolutely silly. Anthropomorphic animals are silly. Puppets are silly. Slapstick comedy, satire, pantomime, cosplay. A lot of things we love are silly, most fun things are, but silly doesn't mean inconsequential or without artistic merit, we've just been convinced that we should take things *serious face* seriously. Treating something absurd as if it is serious, as if there's gravitas we have to observe is, honestly, where things start to go off the rails.
Gibson Twist

Postby EmperorWalrusComics » October 10th, 2018, 11:52 pm

Only as silly as every other idea ever conceived in a work of fiction.
EmperorWalrusComics

Postby ewolf20 » October 12th, 2018, 8:59 am

then, how can i make the superhero genre more interesting? besides the character development. that makes everything better. i think the issues is that both marvel and dc keep on retconning things out of existence or redoing things way too much. i'm all for retools, but if this is your 55th rework, you need help.

i think it may be due to the common tropes that perhaps we should play with them and try to make them...unique?
ewolf20

Postby JoKeR » October 13th, 2018, 6:43 am

Superheroes are silly... And I like it that way.

-=: jokercologne.deviantart twitter.com/JoKeRcologne joker-cologne.tumblr :=-

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
JoKeR

Postby Otto Gruenwald » Yesterday, 11:39 am

Take it from a guy that writes superheroes, its an inherently silly concept because all fantasy concepts are inherently silly. Incongruity is one of the fundamental elements of comedy, and fantasy is all about creating a deliberate incongruity with how reality works in the fantasy compared to how reality works in real life.

Nothing wrong with being silly.
Otto Gruenwald

Return to General Discussion