how make a decent parody

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

how make a decent parody

Postby ewolf20 » November 2nd, 2018, 1:54 pm

I rarely post on this forum often but i'm not sure about doing my comic. I wanna avoid the common pitfalls of comics that tend to parody a certain things like for example, how kill la kill parodied skimpy magical girl costumes (only to end up playing some fanservice straight).
ewolf20

Re: how make a decent parody

Postby eishiya » November 2nd, 2018, 2:12 pm

This is a huge topic, you might get better responses if you narrow it down. What sort of parody are you making, and what are you planning to parody? What are your goals with the project?

It's important to remember that the best parodies come from love, not hate. Love what you're parodying and poke fun at it, don't bash it. If you love what you're parodying, you'll love making fun of it, and you'll make a better story as a result. If you hate what you're parodying, you'll grow tired of dealing with it all the time, and you probably won't be entirely honest about the thing's flaws and strengths, so your parody will come across as hollow or as a strawman.

Try to avoid parodying entire genres or very broad concepts, that's just way too much for a single story. Pick a few specific tropes. For example, instead of parodying [vampire fiction], you could instead focus on [vampires' hate of garlic and silver] and [vampires typically being young and beautiful when turned], which is much more manageable, but still full of material.

Don't forget that a parody is still a story. It can't rely solely on its parody elements to be enjoyable, it needs its own strong core, which is then enhanced by the parody/references. This is true even if you're explicitly parodying a specific story and borrowing its basic plot and characters.
eishiya

Re: how make a decent parody

Postby ewolf20 » November 2nd, 2018, 3:15 pm

It follows the adventures of mild mannered terri lovelace who has the power to transform defender of love and justice heartman. There’s one catch, he hates the fact he has to wear a very skimpy outfit in order to fight crime.

that's the basic premise but there's more that. really at its core it's about a man being taught to be confident in his own skin. even if he has to fight in weird get up.
ewolf20

Return to General Discussion