What if you're neither an artist nor a writer?

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

What if you're neither an artist nor a writer?

Postby jonufele » November 13th, 2018, 6:53 am

I spent a big part of my life pretending to be an artist and a writer, I found out I was neither one nor the other.
All I could produce was bad drawn, bad written pieces that interested nobody. I've figured out my mistake and decided to quite it all and move on to something else,

What about you? Share your 2 cents.
jonufele

Re: What if you're neither an artist nor a writer?

Postby Squirreltastic-Blue » November 13th, 2018, 7:29 am

You need to suck at everything before you can get good.
If you quit, then you'll never succeed. Consider looking into teachers via methods that are available to you. For example, there are a lot of people on youtube who share their own techniques in both writing and drawing.
You can get better, sure, but the reality to art is that there aren't any short-cuts to getting better. You need to practice and be patient.
Squirreltastic-Blue

Postby eishiya » November 13th, 2018, 8:33 am

Squirreltastic-Blue wrote:You need to suck at everything before you can get good.
If you quit, then you'll never succeed. Consider looking into teachers via methods that are available to you. For example, there are a lot of people on youtube who share their own techniques in both writing and drawing.
You can get better, sure, but the reality to art is that there aren't any short-cuts to getting better. You need to practice and be patient.

This.
We all start out as bad writers and bad artists, and we work on getting better. Some people have a slightly easier time with that than others due to their circumstances, but it's a lot of work even for them.

Something important many tutorials don't mention is you need to have broad influences. The more you know and the more you've experienced, the easier it is to write and draw. Don't just read one type of story, or one type of medium. Draw inspiration from real life, from movies, from comics all over the world; from fiction, from non-fiction, from genres you don't even like.

Don't limit yourself to being inspired by other people's work either, get out of the house and experience things in real life. Go to museums, go on tours, go exploring wherever you can, even if it's just in your neighbourhood. Pay attention to how people act in their own lives, to how the light interacts with the environment, to the weather, to the sights, sounds, and function of boring every-day things. It's all knowledge that will make your art and writing better in imperceptible but important ways.
eishiya

Postby Smopit » November 13th, 2018, 10:08 am

What they said.

But also, are you sure you were as terrible as you think you were? I find it hard to gauge my own skill level sometimes. If you think you were creating things that "nobody liked" because you could not get popular on the internet, that is not a fair assessment. Comparing your work to others is also not a fair assessment. There are billions of people in the world, no matter how good you are there will typically always be someone better than you. I like the saying "you don't have to be the best, just be your best."

It is also a good thing to remember that professional writers, and sometimes artists, have professional editors or sometimes even a whole team of people who work to make their writing perfect before publishing. Even self published works are often edited by professionals. No one really expects amatuer works to be flawless.

Anyway, that's my two cents.
Smopit

Postby Zin Trollborn » November 13th, 2018, 1:32 pm

My 2 cents : I've quit drawing for about 5 years. Didn't feel confident with my own art, got depressed, art block, self-depreciation and all that shit. It's ok to find other goals in life, it's ok to feel weak and step back in things that are no fun anymore to you. Tho, It's quite a shame to leave definitely something you used to enjoy. Come back to draw and write when you'll feel ready. ;)
Just a comic banner down here.
Spoiler! :
Zin Trollborn

Postby c o r e » November 13th, 2018, 11:46 pm

my two cents is to just do it even if you think you suck at it as long as it's something you find fun and interesting

i pretty much suck at everything i do in my life and in my hobbies but i really love to draw, write and do comics cuz it's a lot of fun to me
even if you're "pretending to be a writer and an artist", you did it cuz you like to do it, right?
you find fun in the stuff you do too, right?
c o r e

Postby artofjoe » November 14th, 2018, 12:43 am

"Sucking at something is the first step to being sort of good at something."
-Jake the Dog
Squirreltastic's comment made me think of that quote.

Fate doesn't get to decide what we can dream. Who you are is up to you.
If you keep comparing your early self to everyone else's later self you aren't being fair.
They've gone a long way and you still have a long way to go.
It's all about analysis and improvement, just find little tiny things you can do to slowly get better and eventually you'll find yourself looking at one of your creations and you'll say to yourself, "Well done." It took me around 8 years to say that to myself for the first time and even still I have days where I feel like I can't draw anything good.

your only mistake was thinking you couldn't be an artist because some force is holding you back.
I want to challenge you right now, go and find the oldest drawing of yours you can find and just look at it. It'll hurt a little bit, you'll be looking at something imperfect that you created, it'll be something that didn't live up to what you dreamed it to be. Look at all the flaws, look at all the poor decisions. What are the flaws? What would you have done differently if you were drawing that same thing now?
If you have any answers to either of those two questions, you've already improved since the time you drew that.

Sometimes we are a little hard on ourselves, we've been working our butts off and when we look at all the other talented artists they just seem so far ahead that we'll never get in reach. It's times like these that instead of giving up we need stop for a minute, look behind us, and see how far we've come, and then move on again with the knowledge and satisfaction that we've improved.
artofjoe

Postby StanleyComics » November 17th, 2018, 10:58 am

My 2 cents are very simple:

Like people have already stated, everyone starts from scratch. You just have to decide if it's worth learning it, or does art not really make you happy (by art I mean both drawing and writing, as well as other forms of art).
Don't give up just because it's hard or you feel discouraged. Give up only if you truly feel like learning to draw or write won't make you happy.
StanleyComics

Postby JoKeR » November 22nd, 2018, 1:37 pm

My 2 cents are........................... gone ...darn it, I must have dropped them.

ah... uhm... With great power comes great responsibility.
No wait.
Be yourself.
No that's garbage
Do what you love.
meh
By the Power of Grayskull

Talent is the fuel of willpower to learn new stuff, which makes you happy.

You got thepoint.

-=: jokercologne.deviantart twitter.com/JoKeRcologne joker-cologne.tumblr :=-

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
JoKeR

Postby ShaRose49 » November 22nd, 2018, 3:33 pm

eishiya wrote:
Squirreltastic-Blue wrote:You need to suck at everything before you can get good.

This.
We all start out as bad writers and bad artists, and we work on getting better. Some people have a slightly easier time with that than others due to their circumstances, but it's a lot of work even for them.

Something important many tutorials don't mention is you need to have broad influences. The more you know and the more you've experienced, the easier it is to write and draw. Don't just read one type of story, or one type of medium. Draw inspiration from real life, from movies, from comics all over the world; from fiction, from non-fiction, from genres you don't even like.

Don't limit yourself to being inspired by other people's work either, get out of the house and experience things in real life. Go to museums, go on tours, go exploring wherever you can, even if it's just in your neighbourhood. Pay attention to how people act in their own lives, to how the light interacts with the environment, to the weather, to the sights, sounds, and function of boring every-day things. It's all knowledge that will make your art and writing better in imperceptible but important ways.

I totally agree with what eishiya is saying here, I think this is what makes drawing such an amazing adventure. You may not be an artist or writer thoug, and that’s fine. But if you really wanna be, don’t worry too much about how bad you are, just do what you can to learn to be better. And never stop having fun.

If you look at my comic it’s honestly a little embarrassing, cause it’s pretty obvious that I don’t have much knowledge of digital art, or even on basic things like perspective and shading. It’s only recently, VERY recently, that I’ve started seeing more of what I’ve been doing wrong and taking courses and advice to learn more basics, before I was just guessing based on what I saw in movies and in real life, which is good but you need to know the basics of light and stuff for it to be really good, so hopefully I’ll learn quickly-er, heh. :o :lol: :mrgreen: :roll:
ShaRose49

Return to General Discussion