How does one get fans?

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

How does one get fans?

Postby Macchiato! » April 14th, 2019, 3:11 pm

I have a new comic that I posted here called Macchiato, but I was wondering how the top comics go about getting fans here?
I see some comics that have amazing art and update frequently look great that seem to have very few fans, whereas others that don't look as impressive have hundreds.

Was hoping you could just give me some insight.

Thanks!
Macchiato!

Re: How does one get fans?

Postby Songdog » April 14th, 2019, 3:24 pm

Tell a good story, update regularly, comment on other comics, and be patient. Comics that update regularly bring back readers and have more presence on the front page. It also helps if you're uploading on other sites, as SJ can be a bit hard to gain an audience. But just be patient is all. No one builds a reader base over night.

I also don't know if it's fair to equate good art=deserves readers. Some stories appeal to people more, and if I find a comic with fantastic art but a boring story, I probably still won't read it. I'm more interested in engaging characters than pretty art, and I think many others would agree. Especially if that impressive art means a slow-update time. I'm not a very talented artist myself but I've managed to gain a small-readerbase, just by appealing to certain niches. Make what you love, enjoy making it, and people will find it if you have enough patience.

Sometimes luck is just a part of it too.
Songdog

Re: How does one get fans?

Postby racarter » April 16th, 2019, 9:08 pm

^ All of that plus as much advertising as you can. Webcomic directories, ads, connecting with other creators, using social media to promote your comic. Twitter has been the most effective for me using social media, if you know what accounts to @. You can try a sub4sub thing too, tho that’s mostly something done on Tapas since you can see who follows your comic.
racarter

Return to General Discussion