Good software / platform for creator collaboration?

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Good software / platform for creator collaboration?

Postby Firefly Jelly » June 7th, 2019, 5:48 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm new here and enjoying myself so far. Our comic has three authors and we're widely scattered across the USA, so collaborating and discussing story ideas online is our best option. We've been using Facebook Messenger to communicate, but have had several problems- if one member isn't online, and the other two talk a lot, well, there's a lot to catch up on and sometimes things get missed. It's been a source of frustration.
What do other creators here do for long-distance collaboration? We'd like something like a wiki or something, maybe, where we could pin important items and new posts would rise to the top for the members' attention. We're looking into things like Google Groups, too.
One final thing- two of our members are mumble-mumble years old (Gen X... gasp) so something that is intuitive and sort of workable by us folks who remember a time before the internet would be a big plus. :D
Any suggestions?
Thank you all in advance!
Jeff
Firefly Jelly

Re: Good software / platform for creator collaboration?

Postby jellyfishin » June 11th, 2019, 7:41 pm

Hi Firefly Jelly! Welcome to SmackJeeves! :)

I don't have comic creator collaboration experience specifically, but I have some experience in collaborating with people of a variety of ages (the youngest being college students and the oldest being grandparents) where people may not be available at every weekly meeting due to different timezones or other circumstances. For our oddball group, we found that using a combo of Google Hangouts and Google Docs was the easiest, where we can discuss things and then dump our latest ideas all in the same doc. The top of the doc would be where we dumped a summary of our latest notes and ideas, and the old notes would gradually get pushed down as new notes were added to the first page of the doc, keeping the first page with the most fresh notes for those who missed the meeting.

I don't recommend that idea highly (because it can easily fail if the group is super disorganized, or it can be sabotaged if one member is disgruntled), but if you're working with some trusted people who are part of an older crowd and have someone who is on top of keeping notes organized in a word doc, having people talk in real time while working on a single word doc might just be the most intuitive without trying to tinker around with new software.
jellyfishin

Postby TerribleTobyTrouncer » June 11th, 2019, 9:10 pm

My friends for rps will pm me in Skype. I can be sent documents over it too but I don’t know how it’s different from Facebook but you could also post ideas in a shared google doc and edit or send ideas as you guys are on.
TerribleTobyTrouncer

Postby Firefly Jelly » June 12th, 2019, 8:56 pm

Thank you for the suggestions! We're still looking into options. I'll report back about my experiences and hopefully someone else will find our experiences useful.
Firefly Jelly

Postby JoKeR » June 15th, 2019, 4:55 am

I used with my developer team the older version of https://www.resilio.com/individuals-sync/
Notes and project files are put into a sync folder and every one who gets online when one member changed something got the updated version.
You can create sub-folder in the sync folder to keep your updates separated.

We made good use of that tool and even "chatted" via txt file :mrgreen:
But for real communication I recommend Discord. Set up a private server (invite only) and use sync for the files.

-=: jokercologne.deviantart twitter.com/JoKeRcologne joker-cologne.tumblr :=-

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
JoKeR

Postby kayotics » July 24th, 2019, 9:40 pm

You can always try Trello. There's a free version, and what you can do is create tasks (basically like creating a sticky note, but then you can also add more information and images and attachments) and then assign the tasks to people. It's a pretty good project management tool, you just need to get everyone on board and using it.

There's also an option to create a workspace in Slack or Discord. If you create a server for your work, you can create multiple chat rooms for different functions, such as a "tasks" chat or a chat for a specific project, and then a general chat where you can just discuss whatever's on your mind.

The benefit of using Slack over Discord is you can also integrate a lot of workspace apps with it. Trello has an add-on for discord, so if someone makes a change to the Trello workspace, you'll get a notification in your slack chat.
kayotics

Postby Firefly Jelly » August 25th, 2019, 10:11 pm

Thank you all again for your suggestions. We're trying out various ones and are still in the middle of the learning curve.
Firefly Jelly

Return to General Discussion