Your proudest art improvement?

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Your proudest art improvement?

Postby mitchellbravo » July 5th, 2019, 7:09 pm

I know we have the design/style evolution and character evolution thread, this is intended to be less image-oriented and possibly more process oriented I guess.

Looking back on your progress as an artist, what are you most proud of? Maybe your comic was your first venture into the "art world," or maybe you've been at this all your life. Maybe it's your writing that's gotten better. Maybe you just overcame low self-esteem or low motivation that was holding you back from creating anything.

What have you improved at that makes you feel proud of your progress as an artist?
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Re: Your proudest art improvement?

Postby calmcnichols » July 6th, 2019, 12:48 pm

did both of these back to back and they were probably my first major 'achievement' artistically. nothing special now but it was a big step from what I was doing when i was younger.

bionicles...mmm

just spent a lot more time detailing them and trying to make the proportions as believable as I could compared to what I did before. both were also some of the longest I've ever spent on drawings. I've drawn since i was a wee babe but these drawings at the time made me feel like i came into my own. ironically i feel like I had way more patience then than I do now. I don't draw mechanical stuff anymore .. too tedious :)
Image is there a safe space for low self-esteem? Image
calmcnichols

Postby HolyGoldenCarter » July 6th, 2019, 1:38 pm

My proudest art improvement was in 2017, when an acquaintance made a video reviewing my DeviantArt profile. They gave me a concise critique on what I needed to do in order to improve my art style, and it was nothing I've heard before. Past people critiquing my style said I should just ditch drawing rectangular humanoids, but I didn't listen. I knew I could make them work, but I didn't know how to make them better.
Some of my friends watched the video as well, and two of them thanked the acquaintance for giving a clear, unbiased review. One of the two friends drew me up a guide to help me fix the problems with the anatomy.
This was during mid-Chapter 3 of my webcomic, so the art can be seen shifting there, but getting more of a hang as it goes along and finally, I got the hang of what to do in Chapter 4.

As for writing, reading and watching other's stories have really helped in that department with practically everything. I don't have a ton of people to share my own writing with (mostly because I'm nervous to ask others; even extroverts can get nervous!), but the friends that do carry interest for my writing have enjoyed what I've written.

Here's my best and favorite digital art piece:
http://fav.me/dbxb1t9
HolyGoldenCarter

Postby jellyfishin » July 6th, 2019, 10:51 pm

For me, my most proud improvement was the work I did when I was in high school.

I was always constantly drawing when I was a kid, but during that time I was mostly trying to replicate stuff I saw in comics or toy packaging (note that this was during a time when the internet was in it's infancy). My pre-teen era consisted of me trying to draw what I saw in real-life. My drawings back then were not bad, but something wasn't clicking, in which, despite repetitively trying to draw what I saw, I wasn't effectively learning from the process and so I was always struggled to draw what I saw in my mind. If you asked kiddie-me to draw a picture of my favorite character, I could easily do that having drawn said character several times over; but if you asked kiddie-me to draw my favorite character doing a T-pose, I think I would have struggled with that.

It wasn't when I got to high school when things started to slowly click. I had picked Studio Art as an elective course, and that's when I learned how to effectively analyze things from a more technical perspective. Not only did my art from that period improve vastly during that time, it also became easier to learn how to draw things as well as better pinpoint what weaknesses I have to improve on.

I didn't get a chance to do the more advanced courses as electives due to scheduling reasons, but with the era of the internet, it's been a bit easier to continually learn and improve.
jellyfishin

Postby HellaBroke » July 8th, 2019, 6:14 am

Getting my webcomic off the ground just a month ago. I've tried and given up before the first page several times the past 10 years haha. Getting Road to Valhalla is honestly a turning point for me and the crescendo of a lot of stuff that I've been working towars and hurdles i have overcome both artistic and personal.
HellaBroke

Postby EveVon » July 8th, 2019, 9:28 am

HellaBroke wrote:Getting my webcomic off the ground just a month ago. I've tried and given up before the first page several times the past 10 years haha. Getting Road to Valhalla is honestly a turning point for me and the crescendo of a lot of stuff that I've been working towars and hurdles i have overcome both artistic and personal.

I relate to this so much! I see myself more as someone who illustrates non-sequential art, but a passion of mine has always been writing and I always wanted to make a comic. In the past I didn't really have the patience or confidence to draw something beyond the first few pages. The fact that I have 50+ pages in buffer and am uploading my comic to the general public is certainly a milestone. I guess the 'growth' that made this possible to happen is the realization that sequential art really is different from non-sequential art. My philosophy changed in that I now believe that for sequential art, the most important things are to convey mood and have high readability, rather than 'technical' perfection like completely correct anatomy and detailed art. As a result my comic art became more loose and prioritizes on simplicity, readability, and using color to reflect mood. I think it's a very valuable lesson, and it makes it so much easier for me to be happy with how a page turned out because it doesn't need to look 'perfect' :D
EveVon

Postby AshenSkye » July 8th, 2019, 11:17 am

My first pride and joy was way back in 2006 when I understood form enough and had the fine motor skills to do some hella good shading. My next process breakthrough around 2008 was learning about that nice little Layer > Multiply trick to make traditional linework easier to colour. My traditional art improved well enough I could finally do passable realism in 2010. And in the past year or two, the realization that I shouldn't treat digital art like a standard colouring book and utilize the lasso + fill bucket to get it done in a timely manner.

My writing is the disjointed mess it's always been and I've decided to just not worry about it.
[ Just Another Day ][ Etsy ][ Ko-fi ]

Cogito eggo sum. I think, therefore, I am a waffle! | Vegetarians eat vegetables. Beware of humanitarians. | Give 100% in all you do! Unless you're giving blood.
AshenSkye

Postby Vitotamito » July 15th, 2019, 3:08 pm

My Sophmore year of high school I trashed my entire style and rebuilt it from the ground up. Seriously, went straight down to a 4th grade level. Stopped drawing Anime, which dominated my middle school days, and focused on something I was actually good at. Sometimes you gotta know what your limitations are and go back to the basics, which was a huge life lesson in like, everything I've ever done.
Sonic-ock wrote:Prepare yourself for the gay adventures of Kuro the dragonwolf and Shiro the wolfdragon.

Vitotamito

Postby Pencilz » July 16th, 2019, 4:14 pm

This is less of an art process improvement and more of a mental improvement, but trying not to spend too long obsessing over mistakes when I'm creating, which, as someone with OCD, is very hard for me to do sometimes.
Pencilz

Postby artofjoe » July 16th, 2019, 6:31 pm

For me it was developing a love of learning and implementing things I learned.
For the longest time I had a brother who wouldn't ever read my stuff, and when he did, all he would do was point out how many mistakes I made and turn it into an art lesson. I hated it until one day he taught me a principle and I finally went and just practiced it and then used it in my work, and like he said, my art looked way better afterwards. Since then I've realized that I really do want to improve, I wanted my stuff to actually look good. So I've been submitting my comics for a critique every few months to see what else I can learn and improve on and then I practice those things.
I guess my proudest art improvement is that I now look forward to improving instead of waiting for validation on my current position.
This was my art only a year and a half ago:
This is my recent art drawn a couple months ago and colored last week:
Something I drew yesterday.
Now I'm happy to say that my brother actually reads stuff I make and while I still have a lot to learn, my critiques have had a lot more positive reinforcement recently than anything else.
artofjoe

Return to General Discussion