Tapas, Smackjeeves, or Webtoon?

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Tapas, Smackjeeves, or Webtoon?

Postby Faith01 » July 9th, 2019, 5:32 am

Hi

I'm creating my own web-comic Eight-Layer Inferno: Semesters of Hell, and I've been debating which platform to upload it to. Tapas I've found has a good, convenient layout, but I've also heard that Line Webtoon is a platform where one is more likely to gain success. However, then I remembered that Smackjeeves also exists, and they have a great feature: separation of chapters! From what I've seen, neither Tapas nor Webtoon has that, and that would be very important for the episodic nature of my own comic.

So I guess my question is this:

Between the three platforms I've listed, what are the good things and bad things about each and which would you recommend?
Does Tapas have--or plan on installing in the future--a chapter separation system that would make webcomics easier to browse through?

Thanks in advance.
Faith01

Re: Tapas, Smackjeeves, or Webtoon?

Postby StanleyComics » July 9th, 2019, 5:48 am

Tapas and Webtoon are primarilly for, well, webtoons. You can post several images at ones and that can be how you separate your chapters. Like the first chapter, you upload all pages at once, then you upload the pages of chapter 2 separately. The downside to that is that you'll have to have all your pages done before you post them all, since I haven't really found an update feature (for tapas specifically). Smackjeeves is primarily for page updates, which I personally prefer. The problem with tapas is you can post individual pages per week, but only if you post them as different chapters. Another way you can do the individual page update AND separate chapters there is by making cover art for each chapter, but that still doesn't organize them in a folder or something.
There could be ways to separate chapters and do individual pages, but I'm I'm not aware of any.
My advice is, if you're doing a webtoon-type comic, the better option is to use Webtoon or Tapas, but for a more traditional comic with pages and panels, I believe smackjeeves has more advantages. It depends on the type of comic.
StanleyComics

Postby Pencilz » July 9th, 2019, 5:22 pm

I post on all three and what I do on Tapas and Webtoon is upload my pages 1 at a time like here, but when I finish a chapter I merge them all together.
Pencilz

Postby Ulta » July 10th, 2019, 4:51 pm

Here's my experience and recommendations.

Tapas-----------------
Pros:
-Readers get the benefit of a seamless vertical reading experience (as in they don't need to click anything to keep reading).
-Great mobile-viewing site, provided you format your pages
-Scheduled uploads
-Individual episodes/pages can be marked as mature, rather than the whole series.
-Unlocks ads revenue at 100 subs (not there yet I'll update this when I do and tell you if it's any good)
-Has a very active forum
-The site saves where you left off if you stop reading at the end of a episode. Very reader convenient!
-Has a news wall section where you can post news or updates concerning your comic.

Cons:
-Very hard to get subs
-Really low community activity. You will barely get comments until you are hugely popular.
-Requires extra work in the form of formatting the panels of your pages for vertical scroll reading so words don't get squished into obscurity when read on mobile devices.
-No Patreon integration (I think)

Webtoon---------------
Pros:
-Great mobile-viewing site, provided you format your pages.
-Getting subs/likes on your series seems to be really easy.
-Super active community. Readers will comment often!
-So long as readers reach the end of an episode, Webtoon saves their place just like Tapas does.
-Unlocks an Ad Revenue Program at 1,000 subs/so many views per months (not reached yet, will detail if it's good when I hit that point)
-Readers can download your comic from the Webtoon mobile app, so they can catch up offline if they want.
-Has Patreon integration!

Cons:
-Has no scheduled upload option (whyyyy!!)
-Has no forms of communicating to your readers other than comments. Lacks a forum or even a news wall.
-Has no seamless reading experience (they have to click the next episode to read it)
-It's images can only be Jpeg (why is this a thiiiing???)
-If even a single one of your pages is mature, your whole comic gets flagged as mature.
-Requires extra work in the form of formatting the panels of your pages for vertical scroll reading so words don't get squished into obscurity when read on mobile devices.
-The users on Webtoon seem to be very young...be prepared for memes and 'firsts' abound in your comments.

SmackJeeves--------------------
Pros:
-Very great for traditional comics
-Provides your own little site to upload your comic to, with tons of customization options to fancy up your comics webspace!
-Very easy to use uploading system, and has scheduled uploading!
-Forum is active and very helpful!
-Has a news wall area to keep your readers informed.
-Has a way to save your place if you stop reading midway (I dunno how to turn it on or activate it though personally lol)
-HAs a way to get ad revenue by directly injecting your own ads onto your comics page (might require some knowledge of ads and website coding though?)
-Has Patreon integration!

Cons:
-Isn't great for mobile viewing. (at least I suspect such due to image limitations? Might be wrong)
-It's not easy to get fans or be noticed unless you are making a pokemon or BL comic, get spotlit, or you buy banner space (if that's even still a thing)
-Your reader activity is based solely on how many fans you get. They will not comment much until you get a few hundred.

Which one do I recommend? ALL OF THEM if you can. The more places your comic exists at for eyeballs to spot, the better! Though you will most likely need to make two versions of your comic if you do this, one for the mobile sites like Tapas and Webtoon, another for SmackJeeves and whatever other traditional-specializing websites you decide to upload to. So if it's too much work to do all three, you have my list of pros and cons. Personally I like Webtoon the most, due to the high readership and I prefer the mobile-viewing convenience for my readers. But they all are good. anyplace that exposes your comic to the public eye is good.
Last edited by Ulta on July 12th, 2019, 1:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ulta

Postby eishiya » July 10th, 2019, 8:59 pm

Ulta wrote:SmackJeeves--------------------
Cons:
-Has zero way of saving your place if you stop reading midway.
-The ways of getting ad revenue is complicated and hard to implement, if it's even possible at all.

I want to correct these two errors.

SJ has a built-in save-my-place widget (at least on regular sites, not sure whether it's a feature on the Mobile Reader, which most comics here don't use anyway), which even saves automatically after you use it the first time, if you keep reading. But, not every comic has it enabled, which is probably why you haven't noticed it. The con of it is it's rather ugly by default, and making it pretty requires some coding knowledge. So, while it's not a universal way since it's up to authors to enable it, it's definitely not "zero way" :D (Technically, readers can also use the feature on any SJ comic via bookmarklets or custom scripts, but that's an advanced thing I doubt anyone does.)

Getting ad revenue on SJ is done the standard way - any revenue from ads you put on your webcomic site is yours. So if you e.g. want to use AdSense, you can just plop the AdSense code into your template and you're done, just like on a regular website. SJ doesn't do revenue-sharing from the ads it runs, because apparently the income is so low that it just wouldn't be worth the hassle. In addition to letting you run your own ads on your comic, SJ has Patreon integration, which seems to be a fairly rare (or even unique?) feature among webcomic platforms.
eishiya

Postby Ulta » July 12th, 2019, 1:12 am

eishiya wrote:SJ has a built-in save-my-place widget (at least on regular sites, not sure whether it's a feature on the Mobile Reader, which most comics here don't use anyway), which even saves automatically after you use it the first time, if you keep reading. But, not every comic has it enabled, which is probably why you haven't noticed it. The con of it is it's rather ugly by default, and making it pretty requires some coding knowledge. So, while it's not a universal way since it's up to authors to enable it, it's definitely not "zero way" :D (Technically, readers can also use the feature on any SJ comic via bookmarklets or custom scripts, but that's an advanced thing I doubt anyone does.)

Getting ad revenue on SJ is done the standard way - any revenue from ads you put on your webcomic site is yours. So if you e.g. want to use AdSense, you can just plop the AdSense code into your template and you're done, just like on a regular website. SJ doesn't do revenue-sharing from the ads it runs, because apparently the income is so low that it just wouldn't be worth the hassle. In addition to letting you run your own ads on your comic, SJ has Patreon integration, which seems to be a fairly rare (or even unique?) feature among webcomic platforms.

Oh well, good to know! I've corrected my post ^^

I actually completely forgot to mention the Patreon integration! Thanks for reminding me, heck I use it myself so I guess it just slipped my mind. I added it to my lists =)
Ulta

Return to General Discussion