Is it worth switching?

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Is it worth switching?

Postby Ypsilenna » October 22nd, 2019, 1:10 pm

Hello! I currently host my comic on ComicFury, but I'm considering setting the SJ mirror as my main page. My comic got a spotlight, so I was wondering if it's worth it to purchase a premium subscription and stay here?
I'm not sure if I want to get a self hosted site, I would be happy with SmackJeeves, but first I want to know if it's worth to put $59 in it.
Ypsilenna

Re: Is it worth switching?

Postby eishiya » October 22nd, 2019, 2:04 pm

It's hard to answer your question because whether it's worth it to you depends on what you need. Do you prefer the community here? What difference would switching make for your comic specifically, and are these differences worth $59 to you?

Do you need a Premium subscription? If you just want a site that looks nice (=ad-free) for non-members, the cheaper Donator subscription is all you need. Premium is only needed if you want to have a custom domain name and want it fully integrated with your site rather than just a redirect. I've been quite happy with just a redirect. The other big feature is extra storage space for files, but unless you need to store non-image files, Imgur and the like work just as well for things like layout images.

You already have a domain so I'd imagine you want full integration, but consider:
- Any links going to the main domain will still work with a redirect
- Any internal/specific links (e.g. domain.eu/somespecificpage) will break anyway because the pages will have different addresses on SJ from CF.
(Regarding that second point, do a search for backlinks to your site. If a lot of review sites and such link back to specific pages of your comic, switching may be a bad idea. If not, then you don't have much to lose.)
eishiya

Postby Ypsilenna » October 22nd, 2019, 2:15 pm

I already purchased my domain name so I want to fully use it + I want to have a custom theme with bonus files (I use this feature a lot on ComicFury).

How do I check that, will simply looking for it in google suffice, or is there a specific tool that helps me with it? And is there some other way of hosting lots of bonus files without premium?
Edit: The question is how I check how many websites have a link to my site, as far as I know I didn't get any reviews, but I might be wrong. Sorry if I sounded confusing.
Ypsilenna

Postby eishiya » October 22nd, 2019, 2:41 pm

If you have your domain claimed on Google Search Console or have some sort of visitor tracking installed on your site, you can view active backlinks on that, these tend to give the best results. If not, if you look for "find backlinks" you'll find several online tools that perform a similar function. Unfortunately, all of them require registration or other nonsense to view more than the top backlinks, but they should still give you some idea of who's linking your site and which URLs they point to.

You're already using Imgur for your SJ layout images, why not keep using that? You can batch-upload files to that, as well, and Imgur has a nicer UI for managing files than SJ.
If you need to host non-text files, then $59 for simple hosting isn't too bad at all :D (If you already have web hosting elsewhere, you could use that as well. There's no need for the images to be on the same domain.)

(As you might guess, I'm pretty cheap and don't consider $59 worth it if I can avoid needing the features it provides xP But if you value tidiness and convenience, it's not a bad price.)
eishiya

Postby Ypsilenna » October 22nd, 2019, 3:01 pm

Oh yeah, you made some valid points, I will totally consider all of that. How about disqus sync with url redirecting? If I merge pages to import my old comments, is everything going to work well?
The bonus files I upload are mostly images, so i could indeed use imgur.

I checked what sites contain backlinks to my site and there is no problem because almost all links are from my social profiles and some are from sites that exchanged links with me or where I used that address in my commenting profile. All of them point at the main site. It would be a bit problematic in posts where I linked a specific page, but I don't get many clicks on old posts and I can just post new links in new posts so it shouldn't be a problem either.

I will think about it, I might start with the cheaper option and just upgrade when I feel that it's worth it. Thanks!
Ypsilenna

Postby eishiya » October 22nd, 2019, 3:18 pm

If you set your Disqus URL to your SJ URL rather than your domain, it should work just fine (...until you switch over to using the domain fully). A domain redirect is just that - a redirect. It will not allow you to link to specific pages with the domain. Depending on how you have your Disqus set up, moving the domain from CF to SJ might break your comments on CF. If you used the page URL as the unique thread identifier for Disqus, they'll break; if you used some ID that's independent of the URL, you should be fine. To avoid issues like this, you should use the comic's unique ID as the identifier rather than the URL, both on CF and on SJ, as Disqus doesn't actually care about URLs and just needs to know which comment thread to show. If you use the comic page ID rather than an address, it won't matter whether you have a custom domain name or not, and the comments will continue to work even if you get a domain later or switch domain names.
eishiya

Postby Ypsilenna » October 22nd, 2019, 9:26 pm

I used thread ID, not address. How to trigger thread ID on smackjeeves? I'm not sure how to configure the code. Maybe I will try to look for some info about that after work.
Ypsilenna

Postby eishiya » October 22nd, 2019, 9:36 pm

The {COMIC_ID} template variable should work, it spits out the unique ID for each comic page.
eishiya

Return to General Discussion