your day in webcomics

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Re: your day in webcomics

Postby Bloomer » January 24th, 2019, 9:55 pm

Finally got in the right mood to look into self-publishing my comic, not so much for other people (not even sure how many would even buy it), but more because I want to see what it looks like as a physical book. I found a page size I'm cool with, and I'm now slowly starting to rescan, and re-edit all my pages. All 100-something pages, yay. Including rewriting all my speechbubbles from chapter 1, and fixing some minor issues that can be alleviated with color pencil and white ink.
Bloomer

Postby dyohna » January 25th, 2019, 1:51 am

I've been working on my valentines day mini comic for a couple of weeks now! I can't seem to think about anything else because it's my favorite holiday right now. I even made an outfit rundown for Candy because I'm just really into it! The last mini comic I did for Christmas was made to fit instagram's boxes but that didn't seem to work well in my opinion because it was really imbalanced art wise. Even though more people saw it I'm going back to my preferred style of drawing comics (horizontal pages). Maybe I'll revisit the format if I ever find a good way to say what I want. Hopefully my readers like it either way.
dyohna

Postby Dave Hornet » January 25th, 2019, 2:44 am

Hmmmm--makes sense
Do you have your own webcomic?
Dave Hornet

Postby Alexis_Royce » January 27th, 2019, 12:24 pm

Ooof. Drawing a major character death. I've known this guy for over the decade this comic's been running. I want to really knock this one out of the park. Here's hoping the inks live up to these roughs.
Alexis_Royce

Postby UrbanMysticDee » January 30th, 2019, 12:37 am

Even though I'm sick and puking and feel like dying I decided to make the background (nearly all the page) of a page I thought up at work a few days ago featuring the ocean at the end of the world. The sky has been blotted out and the ocean has turned to blood. Someone, who I have not decided upon yet, will look out at this catastrophe. I have no idea where in the story this scene takes place.

It does raise an interesting question: how long will these changes last? Are they permanent until the end, expected to be 20 years later? I don't know. In one iteration of the story I had a chapter take place on the ice-free Arctic Ocean, but I'm almost certainly going to cut that. It might be a problem I won't have to deal with because we might never see the ocean again.
Image Image
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby JC_Mraz » January 30th, 2019, 2:27 pm

Spend most of my time working on my webcomic itself lol Just need to color up the last panel and the next page will go up :) Really happy with how this one came out. Required a bit more of me than the last couple pages
JC_Mraz

Postby mitchellbravo » January 30th, 2019, 6:30 pm

This scene has been a blast to draw. I was really dreading it and put off starting it for a while and I'm not sure why but it's taken on a life of its own and turned out super fun.

I've never taken the time to do this, because usually by the time my page is done the thumbnails are long gone (and barely detailed to begin with) but I wonder how different my plans are from how the finished pages end up. So many little or big tweaks don't happen until I'm in the middle of working on the page.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby Oly-RRR » February 14th, 2019, 6:13 pm

I'm back from the dead and working on comics again! Inking establishing panels is sure nice (though I sometimes wonder if I made more of those than any other kind of panels). :P
My problem would rock your world. - Sam Tyler
Oly-RRR

Postby Valigarmander » February 17th, 2019, 8:28 am

Today was a very productive day. Finished a strip early, so I had time to get a lot of other things done on my comic's to-do list.

Feels pretty good. 8-)
Valigarmander

Postby jellyfishin » February 17th, 2019, 5:29 pm

The first part of my comic that I had shared online on Tumblr was somehow done without a written script or thumbnailing (how I managed to do that, I still do not know :?: :P). About one year later when I started mirroring the comic on SmackJeeves, I realized that I would have some continuity problems and lack of clarity going forwards, so I decided to bite the bullet and re-do that section of the comic proper. Managed to finish the script, and started the thumbnailing process. Feeling pretty good about it :D
jellyfishin

Postby Oly-RRR » February 19th, 2019, 9:00 pm

Got addicted to sketching in colour (as in not in graphite) a while ago, I just like the feeling. Decided to do it when sketching comics too (with a light blue pencil). They don't sell proper Col-erase (or whatever the pro erasable brand is called) pencils here so I just sketch lightly and slowly go through my stash of blue pencils. I dunno, it feels different, and maybe knowing that it's not entirely erasable helps too.
My problem would rock your world. - Sam Tyler
Oly-RRR

Postby Mushroom Flabs » February 22nd, 2019, 6:00 am

I've been having a lot of fun with one of my comics, I know exactly where the story is going, and that's epic
Mushroom Flabs

Postby maelstrom51210 » February 23rd, 2019, 9:46 am

Holy crud, my comic just blew up yesterday. Usually I get ten at most visitors when I update, but yesterday I got over a hundred. And I've got almost thirty today. I guess pimpin' Demon King on Twitter helped.

Also, I've been able to work on the writing really quick. I guess it's because I'm on an arc I've been really excited to do.
maelstrom51210

Postby Lutztoons » February 25th, 2019, 3:02 am

I relettered a large batch of comic pages because my handlettering does not cut the mustard. I've gotten up to page 19. Hundreds of hours of work, gone overnight in favor of this font. https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/cc-meanwhile I'm honestly relieved. I'm much happier with the look of my comic now.

It's like night and day!

Spoiler! :

I know my handlettering was unique, but I'd like people to be able to read my work with minimal eye strain.
Lutztoons

Postby eishiya » February 25th, 2019, 7:34 am

Lutztoons wrote:I relettered a large batch of comic pages because my handlettering does not cut the mustard. I've gotten up to page 19. Hundreds of hours of work, gone overnight in favor of this font. https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/cc-meanwhile I'm honestly relieved. I'm much happier with the look of my comic now.

It's like night and day!

https://i.postimg.cc/66zkt0vF/finished- ... letter.jpg

I know my handlettering was unique, but I'd like people to be able to read my work with minimal eye strain.

Looks good! Be careful with tangents though, the radio bubble's tail is almost tangent with its edge and looks strange. The original was much better in this regard.
eishiya

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion