your day in webcomics

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Re: your day in webcomics

Postby WalkedAway » December 23rd, 2018, 7:42 pm

I scheduled a whole bunch of pages to go up on my old webcomic that hasn't updated since 2012, and managed to get 6 pages done today! It's been a good time :)
WalkedAway

Postby mitchellbravo » December 24th, 2018, 1:35 pm

I updated 9 times this year. That more than doubles the previous year's output of 4 updates. Not as much as 2016's 14 updates.

2015 had 18 updates, 2014 had 44, 2013 had 66. Prior to that it is hard to track definitively due to rebooting.

Considering how much of a whirlwind this year was, 9 isn't bad. It's better than 0. It's better than 4. Maybe this is the start of the trend reversing. I still have so many stories I want to tell.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby UrbanMysticDee » December 24th, 2018, 11:21 pm

Why is there a lake of blood inside a clear glass room beneath an even larger lake of blood inside a giant cave beneath a city?

Because it's cool. I don't think there was any deeper reasoning when I came up with that idea. It's just cool.

It's all starting to come back to me why this story keeps taking forever and keeps being shelved and resurrected. Because it's almost entirely special effects. Some pages are nothing but effects. But what I want just can't be done in camera. That's why I started doing panels with no or abstract backgrounds or silhouettes, because it takes absolutely forever. I spent 12 hours in a row yesterday and several more hours today and I still have probably another 10 hours just to finish this one page. I spent a good 40 minutes probably making a 3D pitchfork.
Image Image
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby mitchellbravo » January 9th, 2019, 10:10 pm

Many of my markers are drying up after years of inactivity (or in some cases genuine use, but primarily from years ago). I know the saying a poor artist blames his tools but yeah, I'll admit it, I'm not savvy enough to use drying out markers with wise technique, and between that and the fucking parallelogram paper fiasco I feel like I'm facing many discouraging hurdles in my traditional art :lol:

(I took pad of said paper to work and took the paper cutter to it, so now every page is a different size but are at least square-ish. Good lord)

I forgot how to ink, I forgot how to color. On the bright side looking at pages I released this past year, they look pretty decent compared to the shit scene I'm editing currently, even though in the author comments I clearly despised the pages as they were being uploaded. Hoping either I come to be ok with these pages in time, or maybe this scene is just a crummy fluke of disaster and I'll get more on the ball with the next one.
mitchellbravo

Postby UrbanMysticDee » January 9th, 2019, 11:17 pm

I looked through the entirety of an old comic I did, and that I'm not going to finish because it was an experiment to see how much I could get through in a certain amount of time, and I did a lot of really cool angles. Of course there's mistakes, loads, but that's the point. It was an experiment, and it's lovely. I got to get back to thinking like that and experiment more with One Last Time. I have to work to make it better.
Image Image
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby AshenSkye » January 20th, 2019, 9:50 pm

I did three illustrations today after a month of not being able to do anything! Maybe I'll get lucky again next Sunday. *sigh*
[ Just Another Day ][ Etsy ][ Ko-fi ]

Cogito eggo sum. I think, therefore, I am a waffle! | Vegetarians eat vegetables. Beware of humanitarians. | Give 100% in all you do! Unless you're giving blood.
AshenSkye

Postby mitchellbravo » January 20th, 2019, 11:09 pm

AshenSkye wrote:I did three illustrations today after a month of not being able to do anything! Maybe I'll get lucky again next Sunday. *sigh*

yaaaay!!!

I stayed up late so I could see the eclipse that's happening now-ish/soon-ish and in that time got some doodling done. It's been so long since I was able to stay up late, that used to be the time when I was most artistically productive. I was lazy af today so didn't want to go to bed when SO did, was hoping I'd get to draw, and like magic once it got past 930 I started to get into the groove. I remember 10-11 used to be my starting point and I could stay up til 1 or 2 or even later just drawing. I'm not gonna try that far today but I'm glad I got some stuff done.

My next scene includes a flashback and I really love drawing the cast at different ages, so I did a quick sketch of them 6 years younger. The only thing I feel bad about is I wish when I'd started the comic that I'd been slightly more period accurate in terms of hairstyles/clothes/fashion etiquette. Granted the beginning of the comic was only about a year ago in comic time ( :oops: ) so it's not like that would be the drastic differnece, but just... well, you know. Thinking about what you could have done better.
mitchellbravo

Postby yaaboa » January 21st, 2019, 12:22 am

Spent all day sketching and inking this weeks page, and then drew and colored today's title page and managed to finish and post it with 10 minutes left until the deadline. Was sweating on finishing before the deadline, because I had never made a page with that much detail and was able to finish it within 6 hours.

mitchellbravo wrote:
I stayed up late so I could see the eclipse that's happening now-ish/soon-ish and in that time got some doodling done.

I forgot about the lunar eclipse tonight. Just went out to look at it and it's still mostly red. Thanks for the reminder!
yaaboa

Postby mitchellbravo » January 21st, 2019, 4:22 pm

yaaboa wrote:I forgot about the lunar eclipse tonight. Just went out to look at it and it's still mostly red. Thanks for the reminder!

Glad you didn't miss it! I would have observed longer if it hadn't been so far below freezing temps. At least now I can say I've seen it.
mitchellbravo

Postby yaaboa » January 22nd, 2019, 10:06 pm

mitchellbravo wrote:Glad you didn't miss it! I would have observed longer if it hadn't been so far below freezing temps. At least now I can say I've seen it.

The cold, but also the streetlights around here don't make for good viewing of the night sky. Like you said, at least I can say I got to see it.

Used my day off yesterday to continue working on the comic and spent about 5 hours just on coloring. I think I'm putting too much detail into something that's supposed to be emulating a newspaper comic. Also, too many crowd scenes lately. The full page is going to look weird, because the middle two strips have a lot more detail put into them than the first and last, so it's going to look like I was being lazy on those. It just seemed that that was all that was required to tell the story.
yaaboa

Postby Dave Hornet » January 23rd, 2019, 3:17 pm

Currently writing chapter 2 for my manga, have already drawn some pages but I prefer to post everything in bulk.
Is that better?
Dave Hornet

Postby eishiya » January 23rd, 2019, 4:32 pm

Dave Hornet wrote:Currently writing chapter 2 for my manga, have already drawn some pages but I prefer to post everything in bulk.
Is that better?

If your comic reads better in bulk, then there's no harm in posting it in bulk. Some stories read well by the page, some don't.
In general, posting consistently and frequently will help you gain more readers, since it leads to more opportunities for people to see your comic when it updates. If that's not a concern, then posting in bulk is great, since readers will always have a whole chunk of story to read. Some readers binge read even those comics that update one page at a time.

A compromise could be to update scenes in bulk every couple of weeks or something like that, but that's only viable if you draw the pages quickly enough, and if the comic has short, distinct scenes.
eishiya

Postby Captain Ghost » January 23rd, 2019, 10:56 pm

Dave Hornet wrote:Currently writing chapter 2 for my manga, have already drawn some pages but I prefer to post everything in bulk.
Is that better?

Speaking strictly from my own experience, I tend to drop comics that update in bulk -- UNLESS it's very Clearly Stated somewhere just how often/how much of an update we can expect. Then I'm not left trying to figure out where the heck I left off every week/every other day, if I for some reason can't read comics for a few days. . .
If reading a specific comic becomes more of a chore than it needs to be... then, it's not for me s:
With a lot of other comics to read, a daily/weekly update is much more feasible to consume.

That being said, yeah! Like eishiya said, some read better by the page, and some don't.

---------------------------------
on my end here,
Scanned in three freshly inked pages to set up & grayscale, woo! trying to stay ahead *v*~
Captain Ghost

Postby Dave Hornet » January 24th, 2019, 12:14 am

Which one is
"If reading a comic becomes a chore"
If you like a comic, you favourite it and when a new chapter comes, you get alerted
So how does reading a comic become a chore
Dave Hornet

Postby Captain Ghost » January 24th, 2019, 12:40 am

Sorry, I should have explained better. And should have probably used a different word, sorry about that.

It's nice to have new content for something you're interested in, for sure. Super nice, in fact!
What's less nice is having to hunt for where you left off.

This issue can be eliminated in a number of ways though.
-If there's a little author's note on the last page of the update with a link to where the bulk update began, that's helpful! depending on size of bulk update. eliminates having to go back through pages and accidentally stumble across spoilers.
-indicating your specific update schedule somewhere in clear sight - 'a new chapter every friday!' is a lot easier to keep up with versus 'random large amount of pages coming... whenever'
-along that same vein, consistency! for example, the SJ comic Anastasia updates in bulk, but it's a pretty consistent 5-6 pages every update that I can jump to where I left off right from the profile page.
-I think SJ has a bookmark feature but I don't recall if it has to be enabled on the comic author's end? I don't really super trust it though... think it acted up a few times for me at some point. (probably something on my computer's side but even so)

In any case, like I said, only speaking for myself/from my own experience. I've read some comics that I enjoyed, but they went from weekly to random bulk updates and they eventually fell through the cracks for me. /shrug If you think bulk updates benefit your comic, then great! I'm sure some people enjoy em a lot. I'm just not one of those people xP

imo, the easier you can make things for your readers to enjoy a seamless experience, the better.
Captain Ghost

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion