your day in webcomics

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Re: your day in webcomics

Postby eishiya » September 16th, 2019, 10:43 am

maelstrom51210 wrote:For some reason I've become obsessed with paneling lately. Like, I've been studying some of the comic books I own just analyze the layout of their panels.

That's great :D
eishiya

Postby mitchellbravo » September 17th, 2019, 8:15 pm

When you feel like you're making good progress but then realize how many little things you still have to do to a page

It feels like inking is taking unusually long to do, which on its own isn't a bad thing as I feel like I'm being more careful about what I'm doing, but I have all these little background tidbits I was excited about including but now wish I could just half-ass them because the scene has been stretching out for weeks and weeks. And because I can't shake that feeling sometimes that the amount of time I spend on this dumb comic might I might as well spend face down on the ground for the amount of difference it makes. I wish I could make myself feel excited and motivated. This used to be so much easier.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby Lutztoons » September 19th, 2019, 12:24 am

Finished coloring a page that I'm extremely proud of. I've had the interior of my character Gideon's house in my head for over a decade and we are finally, finally seeing it in living color.
Lutztoons

Postby Davey Do » September 19th, 2019, 9:53 pm

I am brand spankin' new to webcomics, joining this and another website past this week.

I hope to learn from this site and you all the logistics of webcomics.

Any input and guidance will be appreciated!
Davey Do

Location: Goofy, Illinois (NW of Anomaly, which is way out side of Normal)

Postby mitchellbravo » September 22nd, 2019, 10:33 am

Davey Do wrote:I am brand spankin' new to webcomics, joining this and another website past this week.

I hope to learn from this site and you all the logistics of webcomics.

Any input and guidance will be appreciated!

Welcome to the community! It's quiet around here but we're generally pretty nice.
mitchellbravo

Postby maelstrom51210 » September 22nd, 2019, 12:03 pm

I've been using Manga Studio for about almost 5 years to make my comic, and I'm only now trying to figure out how to use tools like the perspective ruler in it :I
maelstrom51210

Postby eishiya » September 22nd, 2019, 12:06 pm

maelstrom51210 wrote:I've been using Manga Studio for about almost 5 years to make my comic, and I'm only now trying to figure out how to use tools like the perspective ruler in it :I

This seems to be pretty common with complex tools. I know a lot of artists who didn't know about some features of their software that I would consider their main selling points :'D
eishiya

my decade in webcomics

Postby Cope » September 22nd, 2019, 5:21 pm

It feels weird looking at my first webcomic now. It used to be such an intense part of my brain, but that was over a decade ago. Nowadays, the finer details of the story tug at long-neglected aspects of my memory. It's like some sort of out-of-body experience.
Cope

Postby Alexis_Royce » September 24th, 2019, 12:02 pm

Man, I did it. Killed off Kinesis.

Evil Plan's really almost over.
Alexis_Royce

Postby mitchellbravo » September 30th, 2019, 8:51 pm

Alexis_Royce wrote:Man, I did it. Killed off Kinesis.

Evil Plan's really almost over.

So many people are actually finishing their comics <3

After not touching pen or pencil in... a week? 2 weeks? I managed to get a little bit of inking done just now. It's never as much of a drag as I expect it's going to be, but it's always so hard to get motivated about it. I had hoped to get more done this weekend. I hate that I'm on a yo-yo of hiatusing.

Spoiler! :
I'm also feeling very loathsome and bad about things lately which isn't helping motivation of any sort
mitchellbravo

Postby mitchellbravo » October 3rd, 2019, 8:09 pm

My ruler has a chip in the edge, right around the midpoint of the ruler which usually winds up being what I'm trying to use for a straightedge. It's only on one side but I keep forgetting about it and going to make my line
mitchellbravo

Postby Seven Rain » October 4th, 2019, 10:01 am

mitchellbravo wrote:My ruler has a chip in the edge, right around the midpoint of the ruler which usually winds up being what I'm trying to use for a straightedge. It's only on one side but I keep forgetting about it and going to make my line

You just brought back buried memories of being in this exact situation back in my younger years when I did tons of physical drawing. What a strange thing to feel nostalgic about, chipped/broken straight edges.
Seven Rain

Postby jellyfishin » October 4th, 2019, 5:21 pm

mitchellbravo wrote:My ruler has a chip in the edge, right around the midpoint of the ruler which usually winds up being what I'm trying to use for a straightedge. It's only on one side but I keep forgetting about it and going to make my line

Maybe you might want to make a very visible mark where the chip is located. That way you know where the chip is located when making a line.

At least it's not like my ruler. The sides were cut at an angle to make a raised edge, but it wasn't cut evenly underneath the edge. So if I'm using anything but a dip pen I have to make sure I have to pull my pen at a specific angle - otherwise if the nib just slips right underneath the edge I end up with squiggly noodle lines.
jellyfishin

Postby mitchellbravo » October 4th, 2019, 8:45 pm

Seven Rain wrote:

You just brought back buried memories of being in this exact situation back in my younger years when I did tons of physical drawing. What a strange thing to feel nostalgic about, chipped/broken straight edges.

:lol: :lol:

jellyfishin wrote:Maybe you might want to make a very visible mark where the chip is located. That way you know where the chip is located when making a line.

At least it's not like my ruler. The sides were cut at an angle to make a raised edge, but it wasn't cut evenly underneath the edge. So if I'm using anything but a dip pen I have to make sure I have to pull my pen at a specific angle - otherwise if the nib just slips right underneath the edge I end up with squiggly noodle lines.

Thanks for the suggestion!! I was thinking of just taping over it with thick tape but that will inevitably cause bumps wherever the tape winds up ending. I HAVE A SQUIGLY RULER LIKE THAT TOO it can only be used in certain applications :/

Has anyone found their attention span/stamina re: drawing to have decreased majorly since "back in the day," whatever that may mean for you? I can't discern if it's a matter of me getting older, or having gone from several years of producing pages at a fairly regular rate to several years of periodically broken hiatus that's made me less able to work for extended periods of time. I used to be able to sit down with just some music and the comic page and work for 2-3 hours uninterrupted, but now I keep my laptop and sometimes also my desktop computer on while I work, as I can only go for about 15-20 minutes before my brain just checks out. I take a break for a bit either reading forums or playing sims or whatever and then can return to the comic for another plenchlet of time, but it's just weird to me as I never had to do that in the past. I don't know that it's necessarily a problem, since I'm still getting drawing done one way or the other. Just weird that drawing used to be a thing where I could completely disconnect myself and now I have to pause so often.

Maybe it has to do with my workspace. I used to always be drawing in either my bedroom at home or like my dorm room in college, isolated by a door from everyone else. Now my desk is in the living room of the apartment- the couch and a bookcase form somewhat of a barrier so it's like half of the living room is my "office" or whatever you want to call it- but if my husband's home and in the living room or in the dining room, I'm not entirely by myself and I think it's harder for me to get into that same state I used to get into. Like it's hard to tune the world out when you feel a modicum of self consciousness while you work- when I get really into a page, I pull faces, whistle loudly, and sometimes I'm even like dancing as I go, and not being completely alone makes it harder to feel comfortable even if I know no one's activley "judging."

eh !!!!
mitchellbravo

Postby Shyads » October 8th, 2019, 6:07 pm

I just finished thumbnailing my first comic! (well. first i'll be posting online anyways, but still)
Shyads

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion