Thoughts off the top of your head

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Re: Thoughts off the top of your head

Postby UrbanMysticDee » December 8th, 2018, 9:00 pm

Raging Ghost wrote:The Game Awards is happening (as of this writing) and Rockstar is obviously rigging the whole thing.

EDIT: Nevermind. PS4's God of War won GOTY and another award, so I guess it wasn't rigged.

EVERY time I see your screen name I think of this

On an unrelated note, I never understood the whole thing about not using "passive" voice. To me most "passive" sentences sound better than "active" ones. "Active" sentences sound like how 2-year-olds talk and "passive" sentences sound like how intellectuals who have never left their armchairs in their entire lives talk.
Image Image
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby JoKeR » December 12th, 2018, 1:31 pm

It's pretty quiet here... hello!? ...lo...lo...lo...o...o

-=: jokercologne.deviantart twitter.com/JoKeRcologne joker-cologne.tumblr :=-

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
JoKeR

Postby TheFunTrain » December 13th, 2018, 11:19 am

Technology is evolving ever faster. I used to be able to tell if a TV was on in any room of the house by the distinctive 15.734 kilohertz whine of the CRT flyback transformer. It was my secret superpower because older people start to lose hearing above about 10 kHz. I looked up videos of it and they were painfully loud. Good to know that unlike TVs, I haven't changed. Like a lame version of the bell from The Polar Express.

All this because I was reading about analog video wondering if it was feasible to connect an RGB LED to a computer to make the case glow with the same colors as the monitor after I saw RGB lighted RAM sticks while looking from RAM since Cities Skylines now hogs up all my memory until it crashes since I stared playing it again after I saw Matt playing it again

Today's theme is apparently children's books with the latter reference being If you Give a Mouse a Cookie
TheFunTrain

Postby TheJGamer » December 16th, 2018, 9:21 pm

Just out of curiosity, do any of you guys tend to sweat a lot from your hand when you're doing something that involves them? My hands sweat heavily every time I type up an essay, create pixel art, play video games, and write. In the end, my poor laptop/controller/paper gets pretty soaked in sweat, and I find it pretty annoying. It especially gets really bad when I sweat too much on my mousepad, making the mouse controls pretty wack (you guys have no idea how much I have to undo whenever I make pixel art with sweaty hands-- the messed up mousepad makes the mouse go all over the place!) Just want to know whether it's normal and all that, heh.
Just some kid who likes to draw and sprite. Thinking of starting a comic and actually sticking with it.
TheJGamer

Postby maelstrom51210 » December 16th, 2018, 10:25 pm

My hands tend to sweat a lot while I drive . That's not quite the same.
maelstrom51210

Postby Sonic-ock » December 23rd, 2018, 7:52 am

Thinking back on the heyday of "why is there so much BL/Yoai on this site?" threads.
ImageImageImageImage
Sonic-ock

Postby maelstrom51210 » December 23rd, 2018, 8:59 am

Anyone else notice that whenever people write fiction and stuff that takes place in the 1860s-1890s it's almost always Victorian England as opposed to Gilded Age America unless it's specifically a wild west story? It's something I noticed the other day. My only theory why is that Victorian England is a bit more "classy". Also more famous literature was written there.
maelstrom51210

Postby eishiya » December 23rd, 2018, 10:18 am

maelstrom51210 wrote:Anyone else notice that whenever people write fiction and stuff that takes place in the 1860s-1890s it's almost always Victorian England as opposed to Gilded Age America unless it's specifically a wild west story? It's something I noticed the other day. My only theory why is that Victorian England is a bit more "classy". Also more famous literature was written there.

There's a decent amount of fiction set in New York (and to a lesser extent, other east coast cities) in that era, especially in TV.
And of course, with the 1860s-70s, you get a fair bit of Reconstruction Era stories, although a lot of these tend to be closer to dramatizations than full fiction.

I think part of the reason is this period of history isn't well-covered in US schools in history and literature classes (and of course, is barely mentioned at all in other countries), so writers just don't have this period on their minds, they have no imagery or events associated with it, with the exception of the Wild West (which tends to be divorced from any dates). Instead, as you said, they're influenced by famous literature set in or written in the era (Sherlock Holmes, Jack the Ripper stories, Jekyll & Hyde, Dracula, etc). I think this could change fairly easily if a work set in the period became popular with younger audiences, as it would seed interest in that period that could later develop into many works by that audience when they grow up, and perhaps some of their works might see enough success to maintain awareness/interest in the period. The multiple resurgences of Viking Age stories seem to have largely followed this pattern, I don't see why the same couldn't happen with the Gilded Age.
eishiya

Postby Sonic-ock » December 23rd, 2018, 10:46 am

eishiya wrote:There's a decent amount of fiction set in New York (and to a lesser extent, other east coast cities) in that era, especially in TV.
And of course, with the 1860-70ss, you get a fair bit of Reconstruction Era stories, although a lot of these tend to be closer to dramatizations than full fiction.

It feels like people who write about this era up through the beginning of WWII are more interested in talking about about rising class divisions and the various social upheavals and their own perspective on that history over straight dramatization. If there was some sort of emergence of gilded age/early 1900's fiction it would probably be centered on drawing thematic parallels between then and the present over rising income inequality, labor issues, or imperialism.
ImageImageImageImage
Sonic-ock

Postby eishiya » December 23rd, 2018, 11:37 am

Sonic-ock wrote:
eishiya wrote:There's a decent amount of fiction set in New York (and to a lesser extent, other east coast cities) in that era, especially in TV.
And of course, with the 1860-70ss, you get a fair bit of Reconstruction Era stories, although a lot of these tend to be closer to dramatizations than full fiction.

It feels like people who write about this era up through the beginning of WWII are more interested in talking about about rising class divisions and the various social upheavals and their own perspective on that history over straight dramatization. If there was some sort of emergence of gilded age/early 1900's fiction it would probably be centered on drawing thematic parallels between then and the present over rising income inequality, labor issues, or imperialism.

Yeah, probably.

Also, @maelstrom51210: There's also the entire Southern Gothic genre that often takes place in that period (and also a bit earlier, before the Civil War), that may be of interest.
The early Progressive Era (covering the latter part of your year range) is the one for which I can't think of any modern examples, seems like most modern Progressive Era fiction takes place during its later years (1910s-20s), although there are also a fair .
eishiya

Postby maelstrom51210 » December 23rd, 2018, 12:31 pm

Aw, shoot. I can't believe I forgot about Southern Gothic stuff. I forgot that can take place right after the Civil War. I more used to the William Faulkner/ Flannery O' Connor and the like works that take place around WWI.
maelstrom51210

Postby eishiya » December 25th, 2018, 7:45 pm

Felt bad because I hadn't been very active here recently.

Checked my post history. I've been posting just about daily :V Brain, that is not inactive.
eishiya

Postby mitchellbravo » December 28th, 2018, 1:33 pm

For most of my teenage years and ensuing adult life, I've taken pride in my ability to put together pretty solid playlists- for events, for car rides, et cetera. Well, I'm going through CDs now to try to downsize (some are good albums that are worth hanging onto, others have like 1 or 2 good songs which should just be ripped and the rest of the disc can go in the garbage) and have a bunch of CDs I burned in my late teens/early 20s. ... they are strange. Like usually you could skip through and get a feeling of like, "Oh, this must have been for a barbecue" or "This was my pep music I intended to use to help me get up in the morning," but a lot of the discs right now just seem completely random. Songs poorly segue and there seems to be no cohesive theme to some of them. I guess I was just compiling random groupings of my favorite songs? Like I'm pretty sure many of these were the "good morning" CDs I had made (I tried to make one for each day of the week and promptly went on to use none of them ever), but some of the songs just feel inappropriate to the rest.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby UrbanMysticDee » December 30th, 2018, 10:17 pm

The Death of Stalin is officially the funniest movie of the past decade.
Image Image
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby Kiki-Wyvern » December 31st, 2018, 3:58 pm

UrbanMysticDee wrote:
Kiki-Wyvern wrote:Here's a random thought, what if one day you woke up, and you were an egg?

How would that work? Do you still have all your old memories or is this like some reincarnation thing?

late as heck but... you remember everything i guess
Kiki-Wyvern

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion