Thoughts off the top of your head

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Re: Thoughts off the top of your head

Postby JoKeR » March 3rd, 2019, 8:13 am

Hey avian-reader *waves hand* ...... *my own of course*

Why is it that social medias feel suddenly so narrow?
At the beginning when you start at some platform ...everything is so vast and full of stuff and then you slowly develop this feeling of narrowness.
Unspoken rules, your own filter bubble, being a freak under freaks (... being nice counts as freak as it seems), not squeaking and heart-ing every cute character...

I know, I discovered those artist through the reposts/retweets/retoots of others ...but I feel like I'm imprisoned into a clique of "friends", and I'm not invited.
I can't really interact but my taste and world view gets narrowed. And I hate this feeling.

Maybe it's time to clean up my list of who I follow and add some others.

This is not a vent but my thought off the top of my head

-=: jokercologne.deviantart twitter.com/JoKeRcologne joker-cologne.tumblr :=-

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
JoKeR

Postby eishiya » March 3rd, 2019, 9:05 am

JoKeR wrote:snip

I feel this too. Most interactions I see on Twitter, etc are not engaging to me, they're either too negative, too meaningless (I'm not into squeeing myself xP) or deal with fandoms I'm not into, and as a result I feel cut off. I know that there are many people out there whom I'd find very interesting, but with the way networks work, getting to them would require braving that unengaging territory, which I lack the energy to do.

I've had the most luck with the webcomics, pixel art, and game development communities on Twitter and Mastodon, people in those seem far more willing to talk about those topics frequently, and are great about sharing each other's work so it's easier to find new people.

A related thing I've noticed is humour matters. One's sense of humour and how one expresses it can really change the tone of any interaction, and make it easier or harder to find people to interact with. Some people out there make fantastic work and informative posts, but I just cannot follow them because I find their attempts at humour abrasive, and I've made friends with some people with whom I have minimal interests in common because our jokes click. On the flipside, I'm sure my own humour has turned many people off from interacting with me.
eishiya

Postby maelstrom51210 » March 5th, 2019, 10:22 am

To this day, I am still saddened by the fact that during that oddly specific boom of dark and edgy live-action adaptions of fairy tales in the early 2010's, there was never a grim n' gritty Three Little Pigs. Possible involving were-pigs fighting werewolves and starring Robert Downey Jr.
maelstrom51210

Postby Raging Ghost » March 5th, 2019, 1:14 pm

Every time I see footage of Apex Legends, I feel reminded that we were this close to the greatness of EA potentially shutting down, ending the life of one of the worst video game publishers in the world.
Raging Ghost

Postby kevansevans » March 5th, 2019, 4:30 pm

Raging Ghost wrote:Every time I see footage of Apex Legends, I feel reminded that we were this close to the greatness of EA potentially shutting down, ending the life of one of the worst video game publishers in the world.

Oh don't you worry your pretty little gamer head, it'll happen eventually. It always happens.
kevansevans

Postby mitchellbravo » March 5th, 2019, 5:51 pm

maelstrom51210 wrote:To this day, I am still saddened by the fact that during that oddly specific boom of dark and edgy live-action adaptions of fairy tales in the early 2010's,

This post made me acknowledge that the 2010s are nearly completed as a decade
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby Seven Rain » March 6th, 2019, 7:46 am

mitchellbravo wrote:
maelstrom51210 wrote:To this day, I am still saddened by the fact that during that oddly specific boom of dark and edgy live-action adaptions of fairy tales in the early 2010's,

I'm not ready for that. I've already struggled to come to terms with my tearful nostalgia for the weird, transitional part of my life/personality that went down in 2009-2011. It feels so far away now.
Seven Rain

Postby redandblack64 » March 6th, 2019, 1:17 pm

mitchellbravo wrote:

The last 4 years were a complete blur to me. It's strange that I'm older but feel much younger than before since I've started eating cleaner and started working out more in 2014. I'm almost 29 but am mistaken for a 21 year old all the time.
redandblack64

Postby TheFunTrain » March 6th, 2019, 1:49 pm

Quitting YouTube cold turkey has made me realize how much of addict I am not just to the platform, but video media in general. Growing up, I spent hours in front of the TV. Around 2008, my TV time greatly decreased as "reality" took over the last bastions of high quality informative content (History and Discovery in my case). With broadband around '08 and a new college laptop in '09, I spent more time procrastinating on YouTube. Eventually, I was watching letsplays for entertainment even when I wasn't avoiding schoolwork. As the decade wore on, I realized every song recorded was available to listen on demand as well. I was willing to accept video ads as a small payment to the artists and creators who got a percentage for their labors. That percentage shrank and shrank with no satisfying reason given. The platform grew and changed and implemented more and more anti-consumer practices. Finally, I realized TWO video ads were playing at the start of videos, I decided to free myself of a massive time sink. It was feeling less worthwhile with a work schedule that leaves limited free time these past two years. Regularly being dropped into tasks for which I don't have the tools or knowledge has made me wonder: Is it really possible to be prepared for the future? Is the secret to life stumbling ahead into the unknown and making the best of the hand we're dealt? This from a person who likes to know what he's in for.

That's my twenty-teens in a nutshell.
TheFunTrain

Postby pixlyJolt » March 7th, 2019, 2:21 am

MLG Snivy
Attachments
F6BA18E5-ED91-41FC-9B63-7D6C4F6852BB.png
(897.1 KiB) Not downloaded yet
pixlyJolt

Postby eishiya » March 8th, 2019, 8:26 am

Silly spambots think they can copy my posts and go unnoticed!
eishiya

Postby maelstrom51210 » March 8th, 2019, 12:29 pm

At my parents house, we're having people over to redo the kitchen. Yesterday they had to totally shore up the floor when they tried to remove the tiling, because the floor beams were so dang uneven. It's weird not having that kitchen floor be super squeaky anymore.
maelstrom51210

Postby Raging Ghost » March 9th, 2019, 9:47 am

Childhood is wanting a future like Star Trek. Adulthood is realizing one akin to either The Expanse or Warhammer 40K (or even a mix of both) would be more realistic.
Raging Ghost

Postby maelstrom51210 » March 26th, 2019, 10:17 am

Is there anyone around here from New England? I have a question: how cheap is the lobster up there? The other day I had a lobster roll from a food truck that was around 12 bucks.
maelstrom51210

Postby Oly-RRR » March 27th, 2019, 4:36 pm

eishiya wrote:Silly spambots think they can copy my posts and go unnoticed!

The war of robots gotta begin with something like that! :lol:
My problem would rock your world. - Sam Tyler
Oly-RRR

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion