I know I am naturally a homosexual, but..

A board designated for discussion of personal issues.
Forum rules
Due to the often sensitive nature of the discussions occurring in Life Issues, we ask that you be particularly considerate and respectful toward posters here. Violation of this request will be considered a violation of the rules.

Re: I know I am naturally a homosexual, but..

Postby Guest » February 25th, 2012, 3:29 am

I see two options here. Either:

1) You decide that you agree that homosexuality is evil in the eyes of God and you go to your local Catholic church to get help dealing with it. I think they actually have organizations dedicated to living chastely in that situation. or,
2) You decide that you think that homosexuality is perfectly fine and you go to your college's local LGBT group to find fellowship and support. (Assuming your college has one, not sure how prevalent they are in the Philippines?) And, if you still feel that you are a Christian, search out a church that is okay with homosexuality.

Personally, I haven't heard a convincing argument that says that the Catholic version of God condones homosexuality, so you may have some difficulty if you want to stay a Catholic. Then again, I have a Lutheran friend whose entire brand of Lutheranism is fine with homosexuality and they have a lot of Biblical translation "clarifications" to justify this. (Full disclosure: I have a hard time reconciling the Bible with homosexuality, but I fall firmly in the queer camp and not in the Bible camp so there's a lot about the Bible I just plain don't get.)

Best wishes on your continuing personal journey. <3

Postby desideraht » February 25th, 2012, 4:18 am

It's not the God... it's the church. And Catholicism is very church-focused. That's the issue. She could be Christian and join a sect that supports gays. Or... she could realize how nonsensical the whole damn thing is. I mean what loving God would hate his creations? Just saying. I have an issue with mainstream faiths because of how they "police" people's lives. It's up to her if she wants to reject that idea, and seek a more personal spirituality. I always encourage people to reject religion. That makes me a "bad" guy I guess but it's not like I'm trying to tell them to reject God. I just assume their brain has a "God gene" mine doesn't have or something. I give them the benefit of the doubt, like they REALLY believe in God... but if they do,their church, and the "form" God is in, shouldn't matter. They don't need that "authority" to have that "personal relationship". So really they ought to do what is best for their lives, and avoid an organization that condemns their human nature.

I can tell you that no religious method of un-gaying people, or making them celibate, works. It leads them to suicide, or, they break out of it and quit their religion. Those are the only ends to "un-gaying" people. It just doesn't work. Medical science has proven this. Years upon years of study...

I kind of wish this user would reply, so that I could see if my position is even viable. If she is totally not OK with the idea, I'll stop acting like it's remotely within her reach. >.>
My original manga is indefinitely on hiatus (sorry!).
It is going to be gutted and restarted because I started it prematurely.
desideraht

Postby Guest » February 25th, 2012, 5:02 am

I don't disagree with you, Des, I think you know that. :) I'm just the type to lay out the options and let them piece it together on their own. Of course it's up to her to decide if she wants to reject or accept any idea.

I don't think you can "un-gay" anyone, but from what I know, the Catholic Church doesn't think so either. But, I challenge you that, if a straight person can become a celibate due to religious convictions, then a gay person can become a celibate too. I think what would drive them to suicide would be this idea that they are only celibate because their "urges" are evil, which yes, I think is complete and utter bullshit. *sigh* There you made me say it. xD I think becoming celibate for no reason other than "God says gay sex is evil" is a terrible idea. However I think a gay person could become celibate for more "normal" reasons like they want to become a monk etc.

Postby Reigan » February 25th, 2012, 11:39 am

From reading the previous posts here, I know that everything that needs to be said has been said. Still, as someone who is still exploring her sexuality (Panromantic Homosexual is where I'm at right now), I feel the need to point out something important:

If it makes you happy, and you're not hurting anyone, then do it.

Well, "do it", in this case, would be embrace your sexuality. I am not religious myself, so I dare not even graze the topic, but I refuse to believe that loving someone could be anything but a wonderful thing. No matter who you are, everyone should have the right to love and be loved. Don't let people tell you that your feelings are "wrong". It makes me sad that one person can go up to another and say, "your love is a sin". That they can tell someone that who they are, who they were born as, is "wrong". Love is one of the better things in life, so don't let others tell you what is "right" or "wrong" on the matter.

I hope this has helped in some way, Kairin, and that everything works out in the end!
Reigan

Location: The land or fairy tales, gum drops, and all that good stuff.

Previous

Return to Life Issues