Due to medical issues, I lost everything.

A board designated for discussion of personal issues.
Forum rules
Due to the often sensitive nature of the discussions occurring in Life Issues, we ask that you be particularly considerate and respectful toward posters here. Violation of this request will be considered a violation of the rules.

Due to medical issues, I lost everything.

Postby desideraht » February 24th, 2012, 7:57 pm

I would post this in the vent thread (I'll actually link to this thread there) but I really, really need suggestions... and would like to turn this into a discussion as well. Whatever comes to mind when you read this, please share it. I will consider that "support", if you will. ;(

Here's a little timeline of my life since I started this process on getting my last job...

July 2011: Hospitalized for a severe kidney infection. The pain was so bad that I could not get out of bed or eat solid meals without assistance. Shortly after the incident, and when I was at home recovering, I applied for my job, despite being bedridden. I had no certainty that I would be able to work but I needed a job so badly that I went for it.
August 2011: Thanks to my persistence, I got the job. The job was stable, fast-paced, active, and ideal. They accepted my transsexuality and even change my name tag. My bosses and coworkers were friendly and worked well as a team. Anyone who wasn't a team player would get fired! It was a great job.
September 2011: Nothing bad happened, my life was awesome.
October 2011: I fainted at work, twice. I saw my doctor for assistance. He called the condition "Vasovagal Syncope."
November 2011: I was put on indefinite sick leave. My insurance was cancelled without my knowledge. Part of my lack of understanding was due to my own ignorance of how things work in the work world (this was my first "real" job).
December 2011: The last time I fainted was just a week before X-Mas. I saw a cardiologist and a neurologist in an attempt to get a treatment for the fainting. Without my knowledge, the services weren't covered.
January 2012: I received a notification stating that my insurance was cancelled. I ceased all medical services and contacted my work immediately. They told me I can go to work as long as a doctor says I can work.
February 2012: I get my doctor to fill out a form to approve me working, but he did so with a condition, saying I could not work in high elevations. My work said this could be arranged. After waiting a couple weeks my job notifies me that I cannot work because my doctor suggested I do not work in high elevations (meaning I could not be a picker-- i.e. assemble orders in the warehouse). Previously they said that they could temporarily work me as a packer (preparing orders for shipment), but for reasons which I am not allowed to publicly discuss, they now cannot take me on those grounds.
Today: I got a $555.00 bill from cardiology and I may have another one from neurology on the way. I cannot possibly blame this on anyone but myself because I "should" have known my insurance would be cancelled when they put me on sick leave, but they said I was "still employed", so I thought my insurance still worked... My one glimmer of hope is that my job says they will take me back if I can get the doctor to say that my condition has basically "worn off" (people "grow out" of Vasovagal Syncope, and usually they decide that after 6 months without symptoms. That will be around May 20th if I don't faint between now & then).

Basically I have a huge bill that says, "PLEASE PAY IN FULL TODAY" on it in giant letters, but I have barely enough money to pay this month's bills, and then I'll be broke. I will lose my phone this April, which will make it almost impossible for me to get a job.

In response to the news I went straight to the career center and I will be at orientation on Monday. I will exercise their resources to the best of my ability. I wish I hadn't gotten all of this news on a Friday. In searching for a new job, I am worried that if I put "reason for leaving" as "medical reasons" that people won't employ me based on the same diagnosis that made me lose my job to begin with. I am not sure what "politically correct" way to put this without lying. It's all about legal loopholes and paperwork. I KNOW I am fit to work right now, but "PROVING" it is a different matter... Especially since I now cannot afford to see a doctor.

Medical issues have been the center of my struggles. It was my kidney infection, now this fainting (which may be IBS or a similarly related gastrointestinal syndrome, as I have found that I am constantly suffering from digestive issues and had not considered the two related before), and I am weak/fatigued/stressed from not being on hormones. If I lived in a country where public healthcare were available... I'd be employed right now. Without question.

Oddly enough... I am NOT mad at my work. I am not even mad... Like, the system sucks, and that's it. I guess if I'm mad at anyone, it's at America for not having a public healthcare system.

Thoughts? Advice? Condolences? Hugs??? D':

On the positive, upswing note, I feel completely confident that I can fix this... just... when? It's so hard to get work right now. And I lost my awesome job for reasons I can't control...
Last edited by desideraht on February 24th, 2012, 8:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My original manga is indefinitely on hiatus (sorry!).
It is going to be gutted and restarted because I started it prematurely.
desideraht

Re: Due to medical issues, I lost everything.

Postby Pizzaman the bold » February 24th, 2012, 8:13 pm

Oh my god that's horrible.

Your now in my thoughts in prayers, if that makes anything better.
blankd wrote:
Neon the Sniper Joe wrote:
Loverofpiggies wrote:No this is clearly serious.

But then SJ will be nothing but a sexpool full of horny people.

Which SpankJeeves have you been visiting?
Pizzaman the bold

Postby desideraht » February 24th, 2012, 8:22 pm

Pizzaman the bold wrote:Oh my god that's horrible.

Your now in my thoughts in prayers, if that makes anything better.
Thanks. <3 I appreciate it.
As devoutly atheist as I am, I will never reject a good prayer. :lol: The thought really means a lot to me. :>
desideraht

Postby Falconer » February 24th, 2012, 8:32 pm

That's terrible! D: I hope you're doing better and stay better...and I really hope something can get worked out. You'll be in my prayers too. *hugs*

Arrrgh I hate our healthcare system. >_<
Falconer

Postby desideraht » February 24th, 2012, 8:37 pm

Falconer wrote:That's terrible! D: I hope you're doing better and stay better...and I really hope something can get worked out. You'll be in my prayers too. *hugs*

Arrrgh I hate our healthcare system. >_<
Thanks, guys. My best friend was basically like, "Wtf they don't give you insurance when you're on sick leave when you need it most???" xD It's so true, wtf. D:<
desideraht

Postby robybang » February 24th, 2012, 8:43 pm

Do you have a Paypal or something? Maybe we can pitch in and help.
three wrote:
The_Hankerchief wrote:AHNOLD TSUNDERENEGGER

"AHL BE BAHCK... BUT NAHT BECAUSE I LIEK YOU OR ANYTHING."
robybang

Postby blankd » February 24th, 2012, 8:59 pm

Health coverage laws vary a little between states so I can't provide very specific information (up to you if you want to supply that info, it's understandable if you don't want to disclose it)- however I do believe that generally company health insurance is only really required to cover injuries/conditions incurred from the job (however this too can depend on company policy). Most companies also try to avoid allowing too open of health insurance as insurance in general is fairly expensive and well they have to keep afloat as well.

Is there anyone in your area that can supply you with some financial support? You could try appealing for help from the net as roby suggested but no guarantees as overall the country is still very much going through hard economic times. Prep for the worst, hope for the best. 8S
SuperBiasedMan wrote:Just because you've proven something blankd doesn't mean I have to believe it.

Image Image
blankd

Postby robybang » February 24th, 2012, 9:35 pm

You might also be able to call the hospital's billing department and haggle the price. You probably won't get the fee waived, but you'll get a nice chunk of it knocked off.
three wrote:

robybang

Postby Tailsgod » February 24th, 2012, 9:36 pm

\
Everything happens for a reason, may not seem like it now but things do get better. The lucky part is that you are still young and have time to get back up and take control of things that have been thrown out of control due to medical reasons.
I really am sorry for the position your in, and I hope things improve on your end
On a side note public medicare may seem like a good thing now that you do have all these bills, but half the treatments you did get wouldn't have been available to you if it were a public system, and if it were you would still be paying the same bill only in taxes, it may suck but every system has it flaws, in our current system its people like you getting a ton of crap thrown on them for no good reason.
All I can say is that I hope you are able to figure things out and I offer many virtual hugs to you in times like these. The Economy sucks, the world sucks, but hey it only takes a few good people to make it better
may your luck improve in the coming weeks
Tailsgod

Postby kite-lupine-aquila » February 24th, 2012, 9:38 pm

My one suggestions would be where you write that it was medical issues, stress that they are PAST and no longer effecting you medical issues - the BEST of luck to you <3 I do hope that this works out for you, and as other's have said, you'll be in my thoughts and prayers also :) and here, have a virtual hug! -snuggles-

'Fly' is a fantasy-winged-wolf comic that follows the journey of an outcasted young pup named Alita.
kite-lupine-aquila

Postby desideraht » February 24th, 2012, 9:44 pm

robybang wrote:Do you have a Paypal or something? Maybe we can pitch in and help.
O.O The idea of asking for money from people makes me feel sooo bad though. I suck at accepting help, LOL. If you understand that feeling any know how to help me get over it, I'm all ears. :lol:

robybang wrote:You might also be able to call the hospital's billing department and haggle the price. You probably won't get the fee waived, but you'll get a nice chunk of it knocked off.
I'm doing this on Monday. If I get a job soon, I don't even mind paying in full. Basically all I really want is time. I am not worried about the size of the bill if they give me time. >.<

blankd wrote:Health coverage laws vary a little between states so I can't provide very specific information (up to you if you want to supply that info, it's understandable if you don't want to disclose it)- however I do believe that generally company health insurance is only really required to cover injuries/conditions incurred from the job (however this too can depend on company policy). Most companies also try to avoid allowing too open of health insurance as insurance in general is fairly expensive and well they have to keep afloat as well.

Is there anyone in your area that can supply you with some financial support? You could try appealing for help from the net as roby suggested but no guarantees as overall the country is still very much going through hard economic times. Prep for the worst, hope for the best. 8S
I'm in California (my profile doesn't say San Diego? I live by there so that's what I usually put. I might change that lol).

This isn't about my job covering it. My job provided insurance, which covers basically anything... because I was paying for it. My insurance took a chunk of every paycheck, and was a service I was paying for. I was unaware that it would expire as soon as I was put on sick leave. I was only supposed to be on sick leave for a couple weeks, too. It turned into 4 months, and now I've just finally lost the job.

As far as I know, no one can really help me with the costs (family & friends included). But my parents do help by not demanding rent from me. They do want rent after these bills are paid off, though. That's definitely fair. They aren't asking for much.

Any suggestions on how I could get over accepting financial help from people? Basically I feel like it's not their problem or their fault so I feel bad accepting assistance. >.>;

Tailsgod wrote:\
Everything happens for a reason, may not seem like it now but things do get better. The lucky part is that you are still young and have time to get back up and take control of things that have been thrown out of control due to medical reasons.
I really am sorry for the position your in, and I hope things improve on your end
On a side note public medicare may seem like a good thing now that you do have all these bills, but half the treatments you did get wouldn't have been available to you if it were a public system, and if it were you would still be paying the same bill only in taxes, it may suck but every system has it flaws, in our current system its people like you getting a ton of crap thrown on them for no good reason.
All I can say is that I hope you are able to figure things out and I offer many virtual hugs to you in times like these. The Economy sucks, the world sucks, but hey it only takes a few good people to make it better
I'll be blatantly honest with you-- I do NOT think everything happens for a reason. I don't feel the children are starving in Africa "for a reason". I don't feel people are being killed by shrapnel in Syria "for a reason". But I DO know things will get better, because I live in a country where hard work and persistence can pay off. I fear it won't be this way for long, though, so I must act quickly. The country is taking a steep dive for the worse.

Honestly the treatments I need would be publicly available. They are in other countries that have public healthcare. Nothing I need is highly specialized and honestly I just need a GP. I can't even afford that. And I do pay high taxes already-- most of it goes to the war.

Sorry if that just turned out to be an argumentative response. >.> I don't mean to just argue when someone's trying to give me advice. Also the hugs are much appreciated. <3

kite-lupine-aquila wrote:My one suggestions would be where you write that it was medical issues, stress that they are PAST and no longer effecting you medical issues - the BEST of luck to you <3 I do hope that this works out for you, and as other's have said, you'll be in my thoughts and prayers also :) and here, have a virtual hug! -snuggles-
Yeah, I think that would be the best way to put it. Though if they ASK about it, I'm not sure what to tell them... and even though telling the truth is what got me here in the first place, I just hate the idea of lying for any reason...

Thanks for the hugs. Thanks to everyone for the thoughts/ideas! :mrgreen:
desideraht

Postby Tailsgod » February 24th, 2012, 9:53 pm

desideraht wrote:
Tailsgod wrote:\
I'll be blatantly honest with you-- I do NOT think everything happens for a reason. I don't feel the children are starving in Africa "for a reason". I don't feel people are being killed by shrapnel in Syria "for a reason". But I DO know things will get better, because I live in a country where hard work and persistence can pay off. I fear it won't be this way for long, though, so I must act quickly. The country is taking a steep dive for the worse.

Honestly the treatments I need would be publicly available. They are in other countries that have public healthcare. Nothing I need is highly specialized and honestly I just need a GP. I can't even afford that. And I do pay high taxes already-- most of it goes to the war.

Sorry if that just turned out to be an argumentative response. >.> I don't mean to just argue when someone's trying to give me advice. Also the hugs are much appreciated. <3
[

Hey its cool, as a republican my opinions aren't always the best received on the internet lol
As for the for a reason part its something I have to tell myself to get through half the crap that happens in life, true or not it helps me i was hoping it could help
Tailsgod

Postby robybang » February 24th, 2012, 9:58 pm

desideraht wrote:
robybang wrote:Do you have a Paypal or something? Maybe we can pitch in and help.
O.O The idea of asking for money from people makes me feel sooo bad though. I suck at accepting help, LOL. If you understand that feeling any know how to help me get over it, I'm all ears. :lol:

We're patrons of the arts and we're supporting an aspiring comicker. ;)
three wrote:

robybang

Postby Tailsgod » February 24th, 2012, 10:05 pm

desideraht wrote:

By the way this is a good attitude to have, but there is a difference between charity and investments.
Charity, if optional, helps those that can't help themselves, familys in troubled times ect.
Charity, if not optional, may help familys in troubled times but will always come with strings.

But you, you aren't charity, you are an investment.
If I had money to give, (alas struggling myself in that area), I would donate money because with your attitude, you just need a push and you will be off and changing the world. Don't be quick to turn away free money, just be sure you pay it back in everything you do :)

in english
Charity is expecting the person to use that money to survive and needing it again.
Investment is expecting the person to be able survive after the money is gone.
Both have their places and their times.
With you if we were to donate money to you I expect very much to not need to do it again as I'm sure you will be able to get back on your feet.
reason why the economy sucks right now is do to an overuse of Charity instead of investments.

examples
The Bailout = Charity
College scholarships = Investment
Tailsgod

Postby Wonderquarium » February 24th, 2012, 10:16 pm

robybang wrote:You might also be able to call the hospital's billing department and haggle the price. You probably won't get the fee waived, but you'll get a nice chunk of it knocked off.

Definitely call the hospital. If you explain your situation, they will probably be sympathetic because they deal with this kind of thing all the time! They will at least set you up with a payment plan of sorts.I had a similar situation when I had a (benign) brain lesion. My insurance paid for most of my surgery, but left me with a 700$ bill. I called the hospital and they reduced it to 400$. It was still a big chunk of change for a student to pay, but every little bit counts!
Wonderquarium

Next

Return to Life Issues