Due to medical issues, I lost everything.

A board designated for discussion of personal issues.
Forum rules
Due to the often sensitive nature of the discussions occurring in Life Issues, we ask that you be particularly considerate and respectful toward posters here. Violation of this request will be considered a violation of the rules.

Re: Due to medical issues, I lost everything.

Postby desideraht » February 24th, 2012, 11:24 pm

Tailsgod wrote:Hey its cool, as a republican my opinions aren't always the best received on the internet lol
As for the for a reason part its something I have to tell myself to get through half the crap that happens in life, true or not it helps me i was hoping it could help
Atheists own the internet! >:'D People got so mad when Reddit added the Atheism section, lol...
Hmmm, I can see what you mean. The "reason" thing does help some people... I personally can't let myself feel that way, because of all the suffering in the word. I REFUSE! to believe people starve, suffer, die, get mutilated, for some "greater purpose"... instead, I just think of it as the challenge that is life. Some people get challenged to their final breath-- truly awful. For me, it is what drives me.

robybang wrote:
desideraht wrote:
robybang wrote:Do you have a Paypal or something? Maybe we can pitch in and help.
O.O The idea of asking for money from people makes me feel sooo bad though. I suck at accepting help, LOL. If you understand that feeling any know how to help me get over it, I'm all ears. :lol:


We're patrons of the arts and we're supporting an aspiring comicker. ;)
...Touché, bonhomme!

Tailsgod wrote:
desideraht wrote:
robybang wrote:Do you have a Paypal or something? Maybe we can pitch in and help.
O.O The idea of asking for money from people makes me feel sooo bad though. I suck at accepting help, LOL. If you understand that feeling any know how to help me get over it, I'm all ears. :lol:

By the way this is a good attitude to have, but there is a difference between charity and investments.
Charity, if optional, helps those that can't help themselves, familys in troubled times ect.
Charity, if not optional, may help familys in troubled times but will always come with strings.

But you, you aren't charity, you are an investment.
If I had money to give, (alas struggling myself in that area), I would donate money because with your attitude, you just need a push and you will be off and changing the world. Don't be quick to turn away free money, just be sure you pay it back in everything you do :)


in english
Charity is expecting the person to use that money to survive and needing it again.
Investment is expecting the person to be able survive after the money is gone.
Both have their places and their times.
With you if we were to donate money to you I expect very much to not need to do it again as I'm sure you will be able to get back on your feet.
reason why the economy sucks right now is do to an overuse of Charity instead of investments.

examples
The Bailout = Charity
College scholarships = Investment

Thanks... I appreciate this. It's true that I am no waste... I have the drive of a runaway train. I think once I find my place in the workforce, I'll be unstoppable. I really am a strong competitor, but my body's been a medical obstacle. My will extends well beyond my form. This, too, is tragic (and just my luck, lol). :lol:

Wonderquarium wrote:
robybang wrote:You might also be able to call the hospital's billing department and haggle the price. You probably won't get the fee waived, but you'll get a nice chunk of it knocked off.


Definitely call the hospital. If you explain your situation, they will probably be sympathetic because they deal with this kind of thing all the time! They will at least set you up with a payment plan of sorts.I had a similar situation when I had a (benign) brain lesion. My insurance paid for most of my surgery, but left me with a 700$ bill. I called the hospital and they reduced it to 400$. It was still a big chunk of change for a student to pay, but every little bit counts!
That's true... I should stop telling myself I owe them in full. I keep saying "Don't reduce the price, just give me time!" I'm always like that, and hate to cut people short. But are they really being cut short? Sigh... Considering the profits every industry makes, probably not.
My original manga is indefinitely on hiatus (sorry!).
It is going to be gutted and restarted because I started it prematurely.
Image
User avatar
desideraht
 
Posts: 518
Joined: January 28th, 2012, 7:37 pm

Re: Due to medical issues, I lost everything.

Postby Guest » February 24th, 2012, 11:45 pm

desideraht wrote:Thanks... I appreciate this. It's true that I am no waste... I have the drive of a runaway train. I think once I find my place in the workforce, I'll be unstoppable. I really am a strong competitor, but my body's been a medical obstacle. My will extends well beyond my form. This, too, is tragic (and just my luck, lol). :lol:


I think you're an investment too, Des. :) <3
Guest
 

Re: Due to medical issues, I lost everything.

Postby Twickitybix » February 25th, 2012, 8:21 am

I think I might know what the problem is. You say you were bedridden for a time and then you went straight into a fast paced job without giving yourself time to recover? Well, that could have made you ill because you hadn't been active for a while and then you were suddenly active all the time, until you starting fainting. It's possible that you have Chronic fatigue syndrome: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_fatigue_syndrome
You seem like the kind of person who might have problems with fatigue because you might drive yourself through periods of exhaustion and make yourself ill.

I'm recovering from what I think is CFS myself, and it isn't easy, but if you know what you're doing then you can get yourself fit enough to get back into work.
Basically, what you need to do is spend a few months resting, but not too much, while you gradually increase your daily activity. When you get back to work, make sure that you don't push yourself, know your limits.
Anyway, read up on it and let me know if the symptoms seem familiar. It will really help you if you know what the problem is, but doctors can be slow to diagnose these things.

Twick.
User avatar
Twickitybix
 
Posts: 29
Joined: March 29th, 2011, 5:32 pm
Location: UK

Re: Due to medical issues, I lost everything.

Postby adrilahan » February 25th, 2012, 9:00 am

I had the Panama and Fuji influenzas back-to-back, they damned near killed me. Though I went back to college two weeks after the flu symptoms were gone from the second flu, I had real trouble with exhaustion. I had zero muscle tone, and suffered from excruciating starvation-caused headaches. I'd dropped from about ~140lbs to under 90lbs in three weeks because I couldn't eat at all. That was almost 10 years ago, and my physical fitness still isn't quite what it was before the flu, partly because I do work myself too hard and don't give myself time to recover. I'm like you, competitive, and when I'm inspired, I'm very driven, driven to the point it can be harmful to my health. I'm finally to the point where I can lift and carry the amount of weight I could before I got sick, but my long-distance running still isn't quite there. It can take time to recover from low body condition, which I'd imagine you were in after being bedridden with kidney problems, so try and make sure to give yourself time to recover. Even though you might look outwardly healthy and in condition, you may not be, since your stamina can be absolutely destroyed by long bed rest or extreme starvation. If you think about it, you built up your stamina over many, many years of childhood, so naturally, it's something that will take a long time to come back.

Also, try thinking more holistically. If you watch House, this is going to sound familiar. Have you considered that the kidneys, the fainting, and the digestive issues are all related? Scary thought, I know, but it's a possibility. You said you were on hormones? Am I right in thinking they'd connected hormone usage with an increase in probability of some conditions? I'd say when you can afford it, ask a doctor if they think your hormones could be causing the problems.

Either way, I hope your health starts improving soon, it sucks being sick. I'll ask my spirit guides to see what they can do to help you. :)
User avatar
adrilahan
 
Posts: 102
Joined: February 5th, 2012, 8:56 am

Re: Due to medical issues, I lost everything.

Postby Cave » February 25th, 2012, 10:24 am

First just want to say really sorry to hear this happened to you. :( Health insurance is just a big business and I'm convinced they don't care about helping anyone, the people at the top just want as much money as possible and will find every way to screw you over - like not telling you when your insurance has mcmagically run out. e_e I currently don't have health insurance because I can't afford it (see, if they cared about people, they'd find ways for people working minimum wage to afford their fking insurance.)

I also agree with calling the hospital. There comes a point where they just want whatever amount of money they can get out of you (as long as it isn't a big enough amount to bring you to court over >.>).

adrilahan wrote:Also, try thinking more holistically. If you watch House, this is going to sound familiar. Have you considered that the kidneys, the fainting, and the digestive issues are all related? Scary thought, I know, but it's a possibility. You said you were on hormones? Am I right in thinking they'd connected hormone usage with an increase in probability of some conditions? I'd say when you can afford it, ask a doctor if they think your hormones could be causing the problems.


NO. Don't diagnose yourself. *does not like House* I'll leave it at that.
Image
Image
User avatar
Cave
 
Posts: 211
Joined: March 22nd, 2007, 11:52 am

Re: Due to medical issues, I lost everything.

Postby adrilahan » February 25th, 2012, 11:40 am

Cave wrote:
adrilahan wrote:Also, try thinking more holistically. If you watch House, this is going to sound familiar. Have you considered that the kidneys, the fainting, and the digestive issues are all related? Scary thought, I know, but it's a possibility. You said you were on hormones? Am I right in thinking they'd connected hormone usage with an increase in probability of some conditions? I'd say when you can afford it, ask a doctor if they think your hormones could be causing the problems.


NO. Don't diagnose yourself. *does not like House* I'll leave it at that.


I'm just suggesting mentioning it to a doctor. Sometimes they don't think to connect the dots. Watch enough of those medical mystery programs, and you'll begin to realize that some doctors are better than others, and some are very rigid in their ways of thinking.
User avatar
adrilahan
 
Posts: 102
Joined: February 5th, 2012, 8:56 am

Re: Due to medical issues, I lost everything.

Postby FailureConfetti » February 25th, 2012, 1:24 pm

Definitely call and talk to the hospital if you haven't already. They like to threaten you with huge bills, due dates, and sending it off to collection agencies, but if you talk to them they are likely to work with you on it. Basically if you keep sending them money, even if it's a small amount at a time, they generally won't send it off to a collection agency because you are paying. It has happened to my fiance and I in the past because we both kind of live paycheck to paycheck at the moment, and ran into unexpected health emergencies. It was really stressful for a while, but the hospitals did end up working with us.

Also, I'm pretty sure jobs aren't allowed to turn you away for health reasons if they are in the past. Feel free to explain to them what happened.
Image
User avatar
FailureConfetti
 
Posts: 717
Joined: December 16th, 2009, 3:28 pm

Re: Due to medical issues, I lost everything.

Postby desideraht » February 25th, 2012, 4:35 pm

Twickitybix wrote:I think I might know what the problem is. You say you were bedridden for a time and then you went straight into a fast paced job without giving yourself time to recover? Well, that could have made you ill because you hadn't been active for a while and then you were suddenly active all the time, until you starting fainting. It's possible that you have Chronic fatigue syndrome: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_fatigue_syndrome
You seem like the kind of person who might have problems with fatigue because you might drive yourself through periods of exhaustion and make yourself ill.

I'm recovering from what I think is CFS myself, and it isn't easy, but if you know what you're doing then you can get yourself fit enough to get back into work.
Basically, what you need to do is spend a few months resting, but not too much, while you gradually increase your daily activity. When you get back to work, make sure that you don't push yourself, know your limits.
Anyway, read up on it and let me know if the symptoms seem familiar. It will really help you if you know what the problem is, but doctors can be slow to diagnose these things.

Twick.
Hmmm, I suppose that may be possible... Though the first time I fainted was when I was 16... That COULD be a coincidence though, since the fainting HAS stopped since I've been out of work. This is a significant observation. I have in the past driven me to exhaustion to the point of illness. I was throwing up daily and didn't know why. After a few days of rest it stopped. My body was driven to it's limit and I didn't even really realize it... Unfortunately, the symptoms listed are not terribly similar to my condition.

I didn't get deep into it because my condition is kind of gross. I tend to faint when I'm taking a dump, or after I take a shower. About 80% of the time I faint, I'm on the toilet. Other times, I have just come out of the bathroom. The fainting tends to be accompanied by severe abdominal pain and nausea. I tend to wake up with my pants pulled down in front of the toilet. This happened at work, twice. It's happened at home a few times as well. It hasn't happened since December, however, despite the fact that I have had 2 or 3 episodes of abdominal pain so bad that I would lay on my back (on the ground, no matter where I was, often the sidewalk in public) and the pain would be so bad I couldn't stand. Such an episode happened yesterday. I was lying at the side of the road for a good 10 minutes unable to sit up, but I did not lose consciousness.

adrilahan wrote:Also, try thinking more holistically. If you watch House, this is going to sound familiar. Have you considered that the kidneys, the fainting, and the digestive issues are all related? Scary thought, I know, but it's a possibility. You said you were on hormones? Am I right in thinking they'd connected hormone usage with an increase in probability of some conditions? I'd say when you can afford it, ask a doctor if they think your hormones could be causing the problems.

Either way, I hope your health starts improving soon, it sucks being sick. I'll ask my spirit guides to see what they can do to help you. :)
I am pretty sure the fainting relates to the digestive issues. I do not think the kidney infection is related. I get frequent UTIs.

Being taken OFF of hormones is what I think a lot of my problem is, actually. I now have a deficiency.

Cave wrote:NO. Don't diagnose yourself. *does not like House* I'll leave it at that.
Haha, I like House, but I'm not House. I have no idea what this condition is. I've tried to figure it out but my symptoms are so bizarre that I keep getting misdiagnosed by REAL doctors.

FailureConfetti wrote:Definitely call and talk to the hospital if you haven't already. They like to threaten you with huge bills, due dates, and sending it off to collection agencies, but if you talk to them they are likely to work with you on it. Basically if you keep sending them money, even if it's a small amount at a time, they generally won't send it off to a collection agency because you are paying. It has happened to my fiance and I in the past because we both kind of live paycheck to paycheck at the moment, and ran into unexpected health emergencies. It was really stressful for a while, but the hospitals did end up working with us.

Also, I'm pretty sure jobs aren't allowed to turn you away for health reasons if they are in the past. Feel free to explain to them what happened.
The scary thing is that I am so close to broke that I literally will not be able even pay a small amount. My bills will suck up the very last of my funds, then I will no longer have a phone. It will make it almost impossible for me to find a job...

But yeah, I will just have to tell the billing office that I am quite literally broke, but intend to start paying as soon as I'm employed. If they send me to collections, everyone will find that I literally have no assets at all. No car, no house... I don't even properly own this computer. I have nothing, really.
My original manga is indefinitely on hiatus (sorry!).
It is going to be gutted and restarted because I started it prematurely.
Image
User avatar
desideraht
 
Posts: 518
Joined: January 28th, 2012, 7:37 pm

Previous

Return to Life Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests