Parents who kiss their kids on the lip.

A board designated for discussion of personal issues.
Forum rules
Due to the often sensitive nature of the discussions occurring in Life Issues, we ask that you be particularly considerate and respectful toward posters here. Violation of this request will be considered a violation of the rules.

Parents who kiss their kids on the lip.

Postby Bliss » April 12th, 2012, 5:39 pm

I grew up with a mom who gave me hugs once in a while, and a kiss on the cheek. Growing up I thought this is how all parents show care for their kids...wrong. On facebook, I have noticed some of my friends, who happen to be mothers, kiss their kids on the lip. It doesn't look right to me, and I find it disturbing. What is your view on this? Are you the type of person that finds parents who kiss their kids on the lips right or wrong?
Bliss

Re: Parents who kiss their kids on the lip.

Postby Xenocide » April 12th, 2012, 5:51 pm

Well, when I was younger, my mom did kiss me on the lips, sure. I found it normal, and it was. However, recently, it's mostly kisses on the cheek or the forehead or something like that, and I'm much more comfortable with that than the alternative. See, right now, I'm living away from my mom, mostly for financial and convenience reasons, but we're going to start living together again soon, along with my stepdad. Me and my mom have a very close relationship, and miss each other terribly while we're apart. However, we saw each other at a recent family reunion, and, when we were about to go our separate ways again, she tried to kiss me on the lips. This somewhat disturbed me, yes, not only because we were sort of surrounded by my family, who I don't know if they'd understand or not, but also because...well, it's my mother. I'm a teenager, and kissing my mother on the lips just sounds wrong, and perturbing, and just...just wrong.

Is this just me being a prude, or do I have a valid reason at all?
I am the God of the Unfortuned, the SiLeNcEd! I am the Eternal Contradiction! I am Infinity! Fear my wrath, mortals, for I bring your damnation upon wings of salvation! Rah! =D
Xenocide

Postby The Bearded Man » April 12th, 2012, 5:52 pm

I really do find it odd indeed so I find it funny that someone finally decided to talk about it! xD
The Bearded Man

Postby M-Hewitt » April 12th, 2012, 10:11 pm

I don't mind it too much considering that I have a few friends who grew up with that affection from their parents, but there is an extent. I remember watching this video of this little boy, quite literally, making out with his mother. The person with the camera and the mother thought it was cute and adorable as her son frenched her and licked her face...it was disturbing.
M-Hewitt

Postby Mr Aids » April 12th, 2012, 11:44 pm

Hmm... I think it depends on the age of the child. If the child is old enough to talk and I saw their parent kiss them on the lips I probably would find that uncomfortable, but if I saw the same thing on a younger child I would probably be ok with it. And in both instances if the kiss wasn't brief I would be calling the cops.
kevansevans wrote:
robybang wrote:Also, it's the internet, people always argue over dumb stuff.

Nuh uh
Mr Aids

Postby Ddraigeneth » April 13th, 2012, 12:00 am

I grew up kissing family members on the lips. Don't think about it much, but if I do feel awkward, I just tilt my head so it's more on the corner of the mouth. Every family has their own ways of showing affection, and a majority probably stem from cultural origins. My family largely comes from Volga-Germans...Europeans in general tend to be more affectionate.

One-year-olds, even maybe up to two can give open-mouthed kisses full of drool and adorableness. Beyond that, I would definitely find it a bit weird.
Ddraigeneth

Postby H0lyhandgrenade » April 13th, 2012, 6:35 am

I kissed my parents on the lips a lot while growing up. Can't remember for how long, but it wasn't a big deal. We don't kiss much at all now, 'cept my dad on the cheek after he hasn''t seen me in a while and such. I get what you mean, but when you think about it a peck on the lips from a mother isn't really THAT offensive.

Long as you don't use tongues.

Worse now when I think about it is when as a kid at some kinda get together, we were supposed to kiss ALL our adult family goodbye. I dreaded that and would generally purposefully try to forget that my uncles and such were there too. No, guys, you're not close enough for it to be fine 8| Man, I'd completely forgotten about that...
H0lyhandgrenade

Postby Aivilo » April 15th, 2012, 1:50 pm

I thought it was kind of odd at first too. My parents always gave me hugs or a kiss on the cheek. But looking at it now, I don't think it's odd if it's a quick peck on the lips. But if I had kids, I wouldn't kiss them on the lips.
Aivilo

Postby mitchellbravo » April 15th, 2012, 1:56 pm

H0lyhandgrenade wrote:I kissed my parents on the lips a lot while growing up. Can't remember for how long, but it wasn't a big deal. We don't kiss much at all now, 'cept my dad on the cheek after he hasn''t seen me in a while and such. I get what you mean, but when you think about it a peck on the lips from a mother isn't really THAT offensive.

Yeah, if it's like a really young kid, I don't see a problem with it. Idk where I'd place the cutoff of it being acceptable, but if you watch a parent kiss their kid, everybody seems to stick their lips so far out away from their face that it's really not that creepy.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby mockingbirdflyaway » April 15th, 2012, 4:35 pm

My boyfriend's family does that, but they're a very open bunch with gestures of affection (and bathroom doors too, but that's another story).

I wouldn't do it with my family, but that's just because we're not the type. I don't see the problem with it really, so long as both parties are OK with it.
What do you do when you come home to a marriage proposal from your best friend.... who happens to be the next in line to the throne?
mockingbirdflyaway

Postby SuperBiasedMan » April 15th, 2012, 4:42 pm

Unless it is actually doing the kids any harm your own personal discomfort isn't particularly a concern for them.

Personally I can't imagine why it would be a problem unless there actually is some sexual element to the kiss (and then the kiss itself is hardly the problem), if the child in this situation is uncomfortable or if other people make the child think it should be considered wrong.
Snuffan and on a separate occasion, my dad wrote:"don´t be a girls who needs a man, be the girl a man need"

SuperBiasedMan

Postby sulfurbunny » May 1st, 2012, 3:44 am

Know what the origin of kissing as a gesture is? Mothers pre-chewing food and pushing it into their infants' mouths with their tongues. (Commence the "ew, yuck" reactions now!) Kissing on the lips is actually as natural as it can possibly get between a mother and child.

That said, if my parents had ever kissed ME on the lips I'd probably have punched them, LOL. I've never been a kissy sort of person. So I personally agree with the OP; but there's a reason for the kissing thing.
sulfurbunny

Postby Wulfmune » May 1st, 2012, 4:48 am

i never thought about it until i read this thread. then i had to think really long and hard as to whether or not my parents would peck me on the lips or on the cheek. the meaning is the same and it's very quick and non-romantic. and i am a super non-affectionate, non-touchy feely person. if it creeps you out or you find it wrong, you might want to be less close-minded/judgmental just because it's not how you grew up.
Wulfmune

Postby desideraht » May 4th, 2012, 3:13 am

I used to kiss my mom on the lips more as a little kid. Now that I'm older... not so much.
But I did when she was really sick and going to the hospital. It wasn't sexual; it never is. It's a peck. We generally do that french "MUAH" thing on the cheek.
My original manga is indefinitely on hiatus (sorry!).
It is going to be gutted and restarted because I started it prematurely.
desideraht

Return to Life Issues