I think I'm insane.

A board designated for discussion of personal issues.
Forum rules
Due to the often sensitive nature of the discussions occurring in Life Issues, we ask that you be particularly considerate and respectful toward posters here. Violation of this request will be considered a violation of the rules.

I think I'm insane.

Postby KonaTobennh » April 17th, 2012, 7:39 pm

Or something. I posted what I'm basically going to talk about in a condensed version, but perhaps I need to go into detail.

Perhaps my problem is that I didn't take Spanish 1 when I was in 10th Grade. I'm somewhat new in this Public School business, having been in a Private School for 8 years, so I'm used to my classes handed to me on a silver platter. (Well, besides the elective of course.) While on the topic, I'm not sure if it was the formal air around the school or if my parents disciplined me correctly, but I'd try my best to behave properly in my classes. It felt like the right thing to do, and I found that respecting by respecting my elders, I'd have enough respect to respect them as they were teaching me. But I'm going off on a tangent that will eventually intersect again with the function f(x) that is my current issue.

So I'm taking Spanish 1, a shame to a junior like myself. I'm stuck in a room filled with ninth/tenth graders, and I'm the oldest in the room. (But not the tallest.) There's some nice ninth graders, and I hope when I leave, they'll be more successful than me, and the tenth graders who are studious, I hope they do well being the Class of 2014. But a great majority of the class are filled with people just trying to fill credits. And it shows in their work ethic. And by work ethic, I mean throwing paper and food throughout the classroom, yelling expletives as loud as they can without attracting attention to the teacher, and publicly ditching class just because they get punished for, and I quote, "God knows why."

Meanwhile, for those who are actually trying to "estudian en la clase de espanol" (study in Spanish class) have to deal with these antics, and it makes it a bit hard to progress in our studies since they end up stopping the class for the teacher to deal with these troublemakers. Troublemakers who constantly dodge what they're being accused for. Doesn't help that she has SOMEHOW lost respect for the class that she'll accidentally punish the wrong person. Cue 20 minutes of class being wasted. My education right now is important to me, I'm almost leaving this school, I'd like to leave on a high note. Yes, it's basic Spanish, but still, I'd like to do well.

Now let me offer this information to you. Since I believe that it's not solely one person's fault, let me tell you about the teacher. For some reason, this teacher has a bad reputation throughout campus, but I don't see what's wrong with her. The first thing you will probably think is that she has Dora the Explorer's haircut. Which is understandable, since that's what some people pair up with learning how to speak Spanish. Now, her rules are, "Do not stand up during class, don't talk in class, raise your hand and I will help you with what you need help with, don't eat, be ready to work once inside." There's more in there, but they're basic school rules. Frequently, I will see 2 such people standing up just to talk to someone on the other side of the room. There's also people coming late to class, but they don't seem to care.

And is it because of the teacher? No. Subs get the same treatment too. Unless, of course, they give them little to no work at all and lets them talk. Or should I say, "Discuss Spanish?" One teacher clearly saw that the class is probably the one not being able to learn properly because they don't want to. Their response? "No, you have to see how she teaches Spanish. She'll teach you something that you haven't learned yet like how to say 700." Which we had learned prior, it's just he was probably talking too much to listen. And for subs they don't like? Once she's out the door, cue someone going to "throw away trash", code for, closing the door on her. I don't want to brag, but there must be a problem if I'm the one that stops them from doing so.

Now, the way she punishes someone is by changing their seat, sending them to the office, sending them to another room, or detention. Personally, it won't work on these kids. I'll see someone walk out of detention after a few people in class get to leave. I'll see people sitting in a seat other than their own. Those people who get sent outside head for the bathroom or somewhere else. I personally think these kids need a spanking, but it's too late. "Spanking would be child-abuse at this age," says someone I've talked to. Which might be true.

I've moved seats without complaining. I don't falsely complain about not being able to see the board, I just move where I'm told. And by moving, I've met most of these people and what they do. But let's talk about one person in particular, the seatmate recently moved in front of me. He is, if you pardon my language, a "fat bastard". One look from me is all I needed to know how much of a spoiled brat he was. I cannot believe that someone like him exists. If I had a polar opposite, it would probably be him. I'm colored, he's white. I'm gentlemanly (well, I try) towards women, he dumps trash on their hair. I'll try to follow rules, he'll break them on purpose. We've talked one day, and he says, "I don't care, I do what I wanna." Well, stop. It's disruptive.

Well, being the oldest, I'm stuck with escorting people like him to where they're designated. He does prefer to do what he wants. Escorting him to a room, he'll try to make the trip as long as possible. He walks to his locker, take the long way to the classroom, and talk to people along the way. Meanwhile, I'm missing a review for a test in the future. Why is he sent out of the room? He keeps getting out of his seat to "throw away trash". Throwing away trash with a quirky smile on his face.

Well, I believe the reason why he does these things is because of the approval from his classmates. He won't be the only one smiling, others laugh as well. I'm probably the only one not smiling. What's funny about ruining a girl's hair by dumping chewed-up gum on it? Especially when she truly wants him to stop? So, it was then I realized, "If the approval is the one thing that drives him, he needs to be disapproved." Cruel, I know. But I just want to stop this guy from making me insane. Unless, I'm already insane at that point. So, time to kill a plant by the roots.

So, before he was moved in front of me, there was a nice 9th grade lady who tried her best to do well in the class. I enjoyed her company, and I hope she enjoyed mine, but here's Mister "Do what I wanna". He was about to pour more trash in her hair. And some did fall out. I swatted the dust pan out of his hand. I can see this guy must not do his own chores as well. And then he switches seats with her. He proceeds to ask me if "I like bush", which I quickly deducted as, pardon my language again, "pubes." Fortunately, I'm not fun (in Spanish class), so I respond with, "Being ignorant to politics, I unfortunately no opinion on the term of President George W. Bush." He caught on that I'm not impressed. This happens to be the day I asked him why he does these things, and the day I escorted him.

Cut to today. Today, he decided to throw paper. Nothing new, he does it too often, it's most likely him. He asks for paper from someone. Huh, I wonder why he doesn't have any? And he begins throwing it to his friend and they have a mini-paper war. He's not wise, though, to sit sideways on his desk, put his "ammo" in arms reach for me to pluck. Did I do it? No, he's too fast. Instead, I try blocking shots. I lost a 0.5 lead pencil doing so, the door being opened where I am. Just a minor casualty. And now he asks for food. Pretzel sticks. Now the ammo is food. Fortunately, it was a shortened period today, so I didn't have to stand 2 hours of this torture. The period ended after he ran out of pretzel sticks, and the teacher discusses with him that he'll have a parent teacher conference on Thursday. It won't work. If he can afford to act like this, he won't care about what his parents have to say.

Then I did something I would never do. As he packed up, I laughed. All that pent up aggression finally found a way out. And I remember what I said immediately afterward very clearly...
"Oh man, I can't wait to see you in a job... You wouldn't be able to keep it. You'd get fired on day one. (laugh) You'd get fired after throwing paper and FOOD!" I continue to laugh, cry, and shake. I laughed because of his face after I said it... Cruel laughter. I cried because I'd finally let these trolls get to me, and I had submitted. And I shook because I had realized that I was truly becoming insane after today.

Everyone heard the "AND FOOD!" line, and stopped in their tracks. Here's the oldest guy in the room, the quietest guy in the class, and he's yelling. Wouldn't you look? I had to talk with the teacher, who said she would deal with him, but who's going to deal with me? I'm planning to see the school psychologist, I'm not sure if he'll psychoanalyze me or something, I just hope he can help me. I'm praying that I don't succumb to insanity, because if I had the gall to violently yell, I might have the urge to physically harm someone or something.

In summary. I'm not well.
User avatar
KonaTobennh
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: December 2nd, 2010, 7:15 pm
Location: The place where bad steam punk artists are... ;-;

Re: I think I'm insane.

Postby Advertisement » April 17th, 2012, 7:57 pm

Psychiatrist.

Nuff said.
User avatar
Advertisement
 
Posts: 277
Joined: May 4th, 2011, 12:17 pm

Re: I think I'm insane.

Postby UrbanMysticDee » April 17th, 2012, 8:08 pm

I'm so sorry to hear you had to leave private school to go to the failing shit-factory that is public school. Public education is dead (which is why I never became a teacher, though I would love to).

You're not nuts. That's the first thing. You just lack the tools to deal with the situation you're facing.

Next, you definitely shouldn't see the school shrink. Those people are nuts. They are drones of the state and they get paid big money to make kids into drug addicts and take them away from their parents.

Lastly, this class won't last forever. The system itself is the problem and nothing you do in that class will change it, so ignore everything that's going on until you get out. I recommend a good meditation practice to help you focus your mind to ignore Cartman and the others in the class (unless they do something to you personally, then let loose on them with the sword of Damocles. During the Vietnam War Buddhist monks burned themselves alive in protest (not the war itself) and were able to ignore the pain using meditation. Now you don't need to become that proficient, but even a little bit of skill goes a long way.
Image Image
Image
Image Image
User avatar
UrbanMysticDee
 
Posts: 3914
Joined: March 13th, 2010, 12:33 am

Re: I think I'm insane.

Postby xox1melly1xox » April 17th, 2012, 8:19 pm

... I don't think you're insane... It isn't that uncommon for people to eventually snap from enduring all of that. Not to mention you're in a different school environment than you're normally accustomed to.

But yeah, going to the psychologist would be a good idea. Enduring it and keeping quiet about your frustrations can be quite a poison to yourself(from experience), so talk it all out to a friend you trust if you need to.

Best of luck to you, sorry can't help you much.
User avatar
xox1melly1xox
 
Posts: 130
Joined: February 28th, 2012, 2:34 am

Re: I think I'm insane.

Postby RyoSoulreaper » April 17th, 2012, 8:20 pm

Yeah, you are not insane.

That dude was a complete jackass. As Urban said you lack the tools psychologically to handle a situation like that.

I know it'll sound mean or whatever but in all seriousness, that kid needs the fear of god put in him or somebody to put him in his place.
Compared to this guy, my High School was god damn candyland.
Image
Egoraptor in reference to Sonic 06 wrote:YOU GOTTA LOOK INSIDE YOURSELF AND ASK "WHAT AM I WILLING TO PUT UP WITH TODAY?" NOT FUCKING THIS!!
User avatar
RyoSoulreaper
 
Posts: 4383
Joined: August 24th, 2008, 12:43 pm
Location: Hyrule

Re: I think I'm insane.

Postby The Bearded Man » April 17th, 2012, 8:35 pm

What I learned from school is that it is both a mirror of society and a place where luck is your biggest mean of survival. I had the chance of getting friend with a guy that was respected by everybody. Morons and innocents alike.

Now that I think back, they should allow severe legal actions against bullies and they should isolate trouble kids from those who want to learn.

And on a much more early stage...
Spoiler! :
Image
User avatar
The Bearded Man
 
Posts: 259
Joined: December 12th, 2011, 4:46 pm

Re: I think I'm insane.

Postby sulfurbunny » April 18th, 2012, 2:49 am

I'm very sorry to hear all that. Try to emotionally disengage from the situation if you can. Evidently the class is not a suitable learning environment, so if there's no alternative (i.e. you're stuck in this school), you could see about learning Spanish on your own. There are very good free online courses and websites you could use. You might find the situation less distressing and stressful if you could take control of your learning that way, so the class just becomes something you have to endure for a couple of hours a week.
Image
User avatar
sulfurbunny
 
Posts: 95
Joined: February 16th, 2012, 3:02 am

Re: I think I'm insane.

Postby darkenergy » April 18th, 2012, 3:21 am

I went to a good (like, really good) public school and I never dealt with that shit...and i still managed to yell at a person. High schoolers are numbnuts. It also happens Spanish I ismong the worst because it's all the kids who need language credits and heard Spanish was the easiest.

Also if you can be ashamed of yelling, I find it hard to believe you would hit someone.
Image
User avatar
darkenergy
 
Posts: 803
Joined: May 29th, 2010, 10:44 pm
Location: An oft-frozen Hell.

Re: I think I'm insane.

Postby Cave » April 20th, 2012, 11:27 pm

UrbanMysticDee wrote:I'm so sorry to hear you had to leave private school to go to the failing shit-factory that is public school.


Don't group all public schools as a "failing shit-factory". I am actually quite happy that the private school I went to in 9th grade shut down and I attended a public school because it was so much better and much more serious about getting everything together for college.

Not saying it's perfect, but just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean everyone that comes out of public school is a product of a "failing shit-factory."

Anyway, Kona, sorry to hear about your situation. It seems like your the victim of some horrible luck being stuck in that class. Is there any way that you could be switched to a different class or have your schedule re-arranged? Or take some kind of summer course as credit for the class?

edit:
They are drones of the state and they get paid big money to make kids into drug addicts and take them away from their parents.


....

You can not possibly be for real....
Image
Image
User avatar
Cave
 
Posts: 211
Joined: March 22nd, 2007, 11:52 am

Re: I think I'm insane.

Postby UrbanMysticDee » April 21st, 2012, 12:32 am

Cave wrote:
UrbanMysticDee wrote:I'm so sorry to hear you had to leave private school to go to the failing shit-factory that is public school.


Don't group all public schools as a "failing shit-factory". I am actually quite happy that the private school I went to in 9th grade shut down and I attended a public school because it was so much better and much more serious about getting everything together for college.

Not saying it's perfect, but just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean everyone that comes out of public school is a product of a "failing shit-factory."

Anyway, Kona, sorry to hear about your situation. It seems like your the victim of some horrible luck being stuck in that class. Is there any way that you could be switched to a different class or have your schedule re-arranged? Or take some kind of summer course as credit for the class?

edit:
They are drones of the state and they get paid big money to make kids into drug addicts and take them away from their parents.


....

You can not possibly be for real....


How many highschool graduates know who the Vice President is? How many know what the Bill of Rights is? How many can even locate the United States on a map or name the heads of state of three other countries? How many highschool graduates need to take remedial classes their first year in college because they never learned math or reading? US schools are in the bottom half of the developed world, and throwing $400 billion a year at them isn't working because math and science scores fall every year. You want more evidence that the public school system has completely failed? Here are some facts:

According to a survey conducted a while back by the National Geographic Society, only 37 percent of all Americans between the ages of 18 and 24 can find the nation of Iraq on a map of the world. (gee, we only spent a trillon dollars and nine years fighting over there, it's just been in the news every day, who cares, Real Housewives is on)

Even worse, according to that same National Geographic survey only 50 percent of all Americans between the ages of 18 and 24 can find the state of New York on a map. (gee, that's only one of the two most famous states in the country, beside California, why do I need to know where it is?)

Here's from a story called "Stupid In America":

I talked with 18-year-old Dorian Cain in South Carolina, who was still struggling to read a single sentence in a first-grade level book when I met him. Although his public schools had spent nearly $100,000 on him over 12 years, he still couldn't read.

So "20/20" sent Dorian to a private learning center, Sylvan, to see if teachers there could teach Dorian to read when the South Carolina public schools failed to.

Using computers and workbooks, Dorian's reading went up two grade levels -- after just 72 hours of instruction.

His mother, Gena Cain, is thrilled with Dorian's progress but disappointed with his public schools. "With Sylvan, it's a huge improvement. And they're doing what they're supposed to do. They're on point. But I can't say the same for the public schools," she said.


I spent three years working to become a teacher. I've seen the system from the inside. I've seen the people who are trying to become teachers and they are just as obsessed with Jersey Shore and goofing off and cheating on tests as anyone, and yet they are the ones expected to educate our children. I know how they take anyone off the street to fill the vacancies they always have. I know how they teach "self-esteem" instead of results and have no-score sports and everyone gets a trophy day, and hold back the smart kids so the dumb ones don't feel bad, and they aren't allowed to fail anyone anymore, they just push them through like cattle. I know how they teach kids what to think instead of how to think with all their propaganda trying to make kids trust the government and believe what the government tells them instead of their own parents. They show them propaganda films where big name people like Al Gore actually tell them that they (the children) are smarter and know better than their parents and that they shouldn't listen to their parents. This is how dictators are made, by brainwashing children. They always have some sweet and well meaning person appear and say "don't listen to your parents, listen to us, and if your parents try to stop you from coming to our rally kill them." Tyrants MUST get parents out of the picture and gain control of the children to create the perfect slave army. Tyrants throughout history have done this and they're doing it now with the education system.

I know the mountains of government regulations, the state trying to take kids from parents. There are schools in at least two states now serving kids four meals a day, and people in the school system admit that the only reason they don't have kids sleeping in school is because they can't find room to put the beds. They want to make it so kids have no reason to ever go home. They. want. to. take. your. kids. away. They want to brainswash kids into becoming slaves of the government. They have food inspectors taking kids homemade lunches away and replace it with union approved crap that the kids won't eat and throw away, and then they bill the parents for the replacement food.

They make up fake psychological diseases to give kids (and adults) drugs. Thousands of drug studies have been faked with the psychiatrists and pharmaceutical companies working together to approve drugs that they have no idea how they work, drugs with side-effects worse than the conditions they are supposed to treat. Drugs that are supposed to treat depression (never cure, there are no cures in psychiatry, only life-long treatments, well let me tell you I've gotten through three major depressive episodes in my life and drugs aren't what saved my life) cause suicide, drugs to treat schizophrenia cause behavioural toxicity, all these drugs cause brain damage and that brain damage is sold as treatment. These people will admit if you corner them that the idea that psychological illness is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain is a fiction they use to sell drugs, and no matter how many people from inside the psychiatric community come out and tell people it's all a scam designed by the drug companies to make trillions people don't listen, because popping a pill is easier than coming to terms with their own minds.

THE AMERICAN PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM HAS COMPLETELY FAILED.
Image Image
Image
Image Image
User avatar
UrbanMysticDee
 
Posts: 3914
Joined: March 13th, 2010, 12:33 am

Re: I think I'm insane.

Postby Cave » April 21st, 2012, 11:06 am

You don't even know the difference between copying and copyright infringement, why should I believe anything you have to say? Numbers are just that: NUMBERS. That's why standardized tests are the biggest thing wrong with the school system. All they give is a goddamn number and not the actual work ethic a person has put in.

I have had many good teachers who took their jobs seriously and had concern for the students and pushing them. My teachers helped me get into and through college. Were they all perfect? By far no. But lumping ALL teachers into a category that is unworthy of YOU is ridiculous.

What does prescribing fake psychological diseases have to do with a failing school system? Nothing! The OP isn't going to the psychologist looking for drugs, s/he is looking for advice, for counseling, which omg, some people see psychologists for!!! The OP is far from crazy, she is simply frustrated which she has every right to be! (Also, I was prescribed drugs for my "depression" back when I was in high school. I didn't take them. Having stupid parents and being annoyed with life =/= depression).

I'm not here to say that every class or every student or everything is perfect. I think the school system is crap too, but I hate, absolutely hate, the way you say things and they way you spout crap out of your mouth. Give it a rest because you are a troll and nobody will take you seriously.
Image
Image
User avatar
Cave
 
Posts: 211
Joined: March 22nd, 2007, 11:52 am

Re: I think I'm insane.

Postby mitchellbravo » April 21st, 2012, 2:16 pm

UMD, I've seen you post pleasant things so I know this isn't true, but sometimes I think you're only comfortable if you see only negativity.

I can jive with a bit of what you posted, but I've had too many good teachers to think that all of them are selfish vegetative monsters. In fact, I can only think of a few that I ever had that fall into that category. I won't discount what you've said because I know you're speaking from experience, but making such generalizations about a group of people that is as varied as the colors in a box of crayons makes you seem narrow-sighted and hungry to find fault.

spoilered because holy fuck did I go off on a tangent

Spoiler! :
I don't want to hijack the thread further, but I'll say that the problem I perceive within our education system is the push that all kids MUST be academics, they all must fit the same mold. Some kids aren't cut out for academics. I have a craving for knowledge, and a pretty reliable memory for certain things, so I was lucky throughout my learning career in that I almost never had to fight tooth and nail to get good grades. But I've come to realize that not everyone has that craving. I'm not sure where I got mine, though I presume it has a bit to do with people telling me when I was younger that I was smart (though acknowledging that my way of seeing/understanding things was different from other kids and therefore in technical terms I was often "wrong").

Knowing that you could be right in one way while still being wrong was a HUGE deal- that meant that even if I was marked down for something, I could still be a little bit right, and was therefore still "smart." Granted I also had a big ego from that and probably came across as snobby to a lot of the other kids, but I never had the problem that I've noticed in others that my grades were tied to my self worth. If I failed something, i never "felt" like a failure. Oops, fell off the bike, well I'll get back on it and not hit that rock in the road the next time. For a lot of kids (and people in general), grades ARE tied to self-worth. This blends together with a media message of "too smart isn't good" (you know, the "nerdy" character who no one likes, stuff like that- it's good to be "clever," but not necessarily "smart") and you get a lot of kids who out and out stop trying and do so very early in their careers.

These arent' things I think you can just blame teachers for. In most parts of the country (I honestly have no idea what locations you're talking about where kids are spending most of their hours in an educational environment, unless you mean boarding schools which usually aren't public) parents do have their kids around a good amount of the day, and on weekends, and during hte summer, and breaks, et cetera. Parents arent' all saints. I've known parents who will do their kids' homework for them, do their projects for them, don't understand why it's a bad idea. You know why things like "teachers can't celebrate the smart kid's achievement without also trying to celebrate the lazy kid's achievement" come from? Parents who complain to the school board. It's not the kids doing it, it's not the teachers saying "Oh I'm a big bleeding heart, poor Jimmy never got a good grade, here let me give him an engraved medallion." It's the parents saying "My kid is the most important thing in my world, I don't want to see him suffering emotionally, I don't know both sides of the argument, I'm a bit biased and blinded by my emotional attachment to my kid, I'm going to complain to the school board and get this fixed."


To the OP: Kona, I feel your pain. In ninth grade I got put in an English class with the troublemaking kids who just plainly did not give a shit about anything. It was miserable. On the bright side, you only have a few months left of this. Hang in there, and if possible talk to the teacher to let her know that you want to do your best in her class. Hearing that from a student will probably make her feel better, she'll be willing to help you if you need anything, and at least you'll both know you have one ally in the room.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Image
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
User avatar
mitchellbravo
 
Posts: 6494
Joined: October 11th, 2010, 1:31 pm
Location: too tired

Re: I think I'm insane.

Postby UrbanMysticDee » April 21st, 2012, 2:36 pm

Cave wrote:You don't even know the difference between copying and copyright infringement, why should I believe anything you have to say? Numbers are just that: NUMBERS. That's why standardized tests are the biggest thing wrong with the school system. All they give is a goddamn number and not the actual work ethic a person has put in.

Yep. Numbers are numbers. Guess we should throw out all of science cause numbers are just numbers. Let's build bridges and cars and planes however we want, not by testing things and looking at statistics first. Let's not pay attention to health statistics and just get whatever quantity of vaccines and diaysis machies we guess will be enough. Let's throw out economics and marketing too, because numbers are just numbers so focus groups and consumer reviews mean nothing because they can't scale up. Let's ignore how other countries spend less on schools and get smarter kids so we can get scientists from China on work visas to come here because America doesn't need innovation, we can keep doing what we've been doing and let the world pass us by. Let's ignore the trend in charter schools and the number of families in poverty who would love school vouchers to give their kids a good education if only the state would let them. Let's ignore what's actually happening to people in the real world because numbers are just numbers.

Statistics mean things. They reflect trends in the real world. In the real world an employee getting a poor performance review isn't going to say "but I tried really hard." The boss is going to say "you can't do the work, my business is losing money, take a hike." When you take 6000 HS graduates and ask them basic questions the answers to which I knew when I was 8 and only 3000 of them know the answer something is fucking wrong. 6000 is a statistically significant number, and it reflects real trends in the quality of the education kis are really getting.

The American public education system is broken. Saying there are good teachers and covering up the colossal failure of the system itself just hurts kids, not me. I'm done with school, I don't have to care that kids can't read or do math or know who we're fighting a war with. I don't have to care, but I choose to care because I want better for the country's children. Since when is wanting better a bad thing? Since when is wanting the contry to return to its previous state of prestige a bad thing? Since when is pointing out the obvious that the direction we're going is wrong is a bad thing? The emperor has no clothes and throwing more and more money into public education is not making smarter kids.


mitchellbravo wrote:I can jive with a bit of what you posted, but I've had too many good teachers to think that all of them are selfish vegetative monsters. In fact, I can only think of a few that I ever had that fall into that category. I won't discount what you've said because I know you're speaking from experience, but making such generalizations about a group of people that is as varied as the colors in a box of crayons makes you seem narrow-sighted and hungry to find fault.

My beef is with the system itself, not individuals. I've had great teachers who would gladly work long hours for free who have shaped who I am today, but we're not just falling behind in terms of education we're flying in reverse with a rocket strapped to our back.

I don't think it's teachers or parents behind promoting mediocracy, I think it's the higher ups in the Department of Education (and people above them too) who want everyone to be dumb so they're easier to control. I think there's real corruption up top that is purpously sabotaging the education system for their own ends.

mitchellbravo wrote:I don't want to hijack the thread further, but I'll say that the problem I perceive within our education system is the push that all kids MUST be academics, they all must fit the same mold. Some kids aren't cut out for academics.

I agree in part. I think everyone should get a basic education to where they can read and write and do their taxes and then, at age 15 or so, if they don't want to become a doctor or engineer or scholar they can go to a trade school or something. Most job-related skills are learned on the job anyway, not in school, so setting people off on the right path early on makes sense to me. I don't think, however, that the push is to make all kids academics, I think the push is to keep them in the education system longer to brainwash them. Again, it's the system doing it, not individual teachers. Individual teachers could have the best motives in the world but if you give them crap to teach their good motives only go so far.
Image Image
Image
Image Image
User avatar
UrbanMysticDee
 
Posts: 3914
Joined: March 13th, 2010, 12:33 am

Re: I think I'm insane.

Postby RyoSoulreaper » April 21st, 2012, 3:17 pm

Ok, Statistics mean nothing to the individual. So I take all Statistics thrown my way with a grain of salt because they could mean nothing to me or any single person.

But I can't contribute what A.) hasn't already been said or B.) isn't Super vague and unpopular.

Also we continue to derail this thread.
Image
Egoraptor in reference to Sonic 06 wrote:YOU GOTTA LOOK INSIDE YOURSELF AND ASK "WHAT AM I WILLING TO PUT UP WITH TODAY?" NOT FUCKING THIS!!
User avatar
RyoSoulreaper
 
Posts: 4383
Joined: August 24th, 2008, 12:43 pm
Location: Hyrule

Re: I think I'm insane.

Postby KonaTobennh » April 21st, 2012, 4:02 pm

sulfurbunny wrote:Evidently the class is not a suitable learning environment, so if there's no alternative (i.e. you're stuck in this school), you could see about learning Spanish on your own.


Admittedly, although I do wish to learn Spanish, I need 2 years of this class to graduate from high school. I want to kill two birds with one stone, and I'm afraid I'm going to have to endure it. Maybe through meditation, maybe through learning how to deal with it.

darkenergy wrote:Also if you can be ashamed of yelling, I find it hard to believe you would hit someone.


Maybe I won't. Hopefully. I asked my teacher to move my seat, and the seat I'm at now is the best place for me to be in my opinion. Coincidentally, it's the seat I chose when the class started.

Cave wrote:Is there any way that you could be switched to a different class or have your schedule re-arranged? Or take some kind of summer course as credit for the class?


It would be possible to switch to another class, but my schedule would have to suffer, and because it's late in the year, my grades as well. My schedule is as follows:
1st - History
2nd - Literature
3rd - Spanish 1
4th - Chemistry
5th - Clay Animation
6th - Calculus
There's another Spanish 1 class, but it's at a different period as Chemistry. Rearranging the schedule just to "solve" the problem would cause more problems.

Anyway, I've been doubting that the psychologist would be able to help me in this situation. Might be a dangerous thing to think, but I think if I'm able to get advice from people who might have gone through something like this, I'll use it more often than someone who would probably make conjectures.

Oddly enough, the next day I went to the class, (Thursday, we use block schedule) the guy I yelled to was awfully quiet. Not sure if it was the parent-teacher conference that happened (not even sure if it was before class...), or because he took what I said literally? I'd rather not know. The more I look back at the situation, the more awkward I am.

Not to say, problem solved. He was doing antics during class, but he kept it to a minimum. Which is nice.
User avatar
KonaTobennh
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: December 2nd, 2010, 7:15 pm
Location: The place where bad steam punk artists are... ;-;

Next

Return to Life Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron