Waldo Canyon Fire in Colorado Springs

A board designated for discussion of personal issues.
Forum rules
Due to the often sensitive nature of the discussions occurring in Life Issues, we ask that you be particularly considerate and respectful toward posters here. Violation of this request will be considered a violation of the rules.

Waldo Canyon Fire in Colorado Springs

Postby Elastikid » June 27th, 2012, 6:42 pm

Hello everyone,

Recently the Colorado Springs area has been hit with an enormous wildfire, which still ongoing. It is known in the media as the Waldo Canyon Fire. A good portion of the northwest portion of the city has been evacuated, and already over fifty homes and a few businesses have burnt, including the famous Flying W ranch. Some estimates put that number at hundreds of homes. Garden of the Gods, one of the city's main tourist attractions, is threatened by fire. So is the United States Air Force Academy, which is right up next to the mountains where this thing has been burning. 32,000 residents have been evacuated on the city's northwest side.

The fire has been assisted by record high temperatures and gusts of wind up to 65 miles an hour. We had a small amount of rain today (maybe like 1/10th of an inch) but the fire still rages and there is only about a 20% chance of more thunderstorms, thunderstorms that have about the same potential to spark more fire with lightning and spread it with wind than the potential to help contain this fire.

I am not personally affected by this fire yet. A good friend of mine is a firefighter who has been fighting this thing and is actively trying to help contain it. Another friend of mine had her home destroyed. Also, the small suburban town of Monment that I live in about 15 miles Northeast of the fire has been put on pre-evacuation. I live on the east of the interstate which divides what is known as the "front range" east of the Rocky Mountains (only the west side is on pre-evacuation at this time) so there is not THAT much of a chance that I will be affected (maybe like 5-10% if that), but it is still pretty scary and stressful.

Just wanted to make sure you all knew I was OK and knew what the situation is. We also have a few other Colorado residents here. This is just one of the half dozen or more fires that are burning across the state. Another one, the High Park fire is up in Fort Collins (near the Wyoming border). A fire southwest of Boulder also just started yesterday. We also have a suspected arsonist still on the loose in Teller County. Incidentally, police are asking for information on the Waldo Canyon fire, which just so happened to be occurring on the 10th anniversary of another destructive fire further west, the Hayman Fire.

My family drove down the interstate, about 3-4 miles east of where the fire was actively burning last night. It was a sight to behold. It's always easy to look passingly on natural or manmade disasters in other places, but not when it is happening literally a few miles away from where you live. Really puts things in a new light.

Here are some pics.

Spoiler! :

you can find more at http://www.kktv.com%20if%20you%20are%20interested.

This is some heavy stuff. I'll keep you guys posted.
Elastikid

Re: Waldo Canyon Fire in Colorado Springs

Postby mitchellbravo » June 28th, 2012, 3:57 pm

Jesus Christ. Stay safe, man. I'm glad to hear you're okay. Thanks for updating us.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby TerminalMontage » July 3rd, 2012, 12:55 pm

Oh hey, I live in Colorado Springs.

When it was getting real bad, the evacuation point ended right behind where I lived, I did pack all my things though just incase we were asked to evac. I live about 10-15 minutes from Waldo Canyon and I've been there a few times, it's tragic and I've seen the damage its done, but also kind of cool. I could walk up a hill near where I live and see the flames. Now they have more than half of it controlled I think.
TerminalMontage

Postby Elastikid » July 11th, 2012, 3:38 am

Fire is now officially 100% contained. In total, 347 homes destroyed, 2 deaths of people burned alive in their homes. Worst fire in state history. Flooding remains a risk due to loss of vegetation and erosion. Cause still under investigation.

If it's arson... well, let's just hope it's not.

TerminalMontage wrote:Oh hey, I live in Colorado Springs.

Wait, you live in Colorado Springs? We should totally get together and kick it sometime. :D
Elastikid

Return to Life Issues