I don't enjoy making art anymore. I feel so empty.

A board designated for discussion of personal issues.
Forum rules
Due to the often sensitive nature of the discussions occurring in Life Issues, we ask that you be particularly considerate and respectful toward posters here. Violation of this request will be considered a violation of the rules.

Re: I don't enjoy making art anymore. I feel so empty.

Postby Oly-RRR » August 14th, 2016, 7:43 pm

marceraab wrote:I stopped trying so hard and started doing whatever my pen told me to do.

This is great!! And I think helpful...

Also this thread will just NEVER DIE as long as there are any artists on these forums. :lol: Not being mean, I mean I feel you all, it's a constant struggle - it gets better once you're out of school/college/uni but you still have to face that monster and find new ways of negotiating with it from time to time...

Nunumi wrote:One last thing! I think you might like that video from the highly missed David Bowie:
Why you should never play for the gallery.

This somehow sums up about everything I need to hear on most of my bad days, but then that's one of the reasons Bowie is fantastic, he got this shit.
My problem would rock your world. - Sam Tyler
Oly-RRR

Postby GreenRaptorStudios » February 4th, 2018, 8:15 pm

I've gotten like this too. I specialized in art too, though I never got burned out in such a way, but yes are school will kinda take you away from what you love.

After I got out and started doing my own work and even I get burned out, especially with my comic work. The best advice I could give is break and inspiration. Doing art is an ever going job with no finish line and no end. So as a result, it's always wise to take breaks.

I don't think you can really hate what you love, just get a little frustrated. If you truly love to draw it will never your system, it will always find a way back, you just need to get back to it. I always find my mojo working again when I read my favorite comics and see beautiful artwork that inspires me. One such inspiration for me is the art work in Disney's W.I.T.C.H, whose artwork always brings a smile to my face and gets me drawing.

Remember what inspired you, what got you drawing in the first place. Go back and view it, and try to draw again, not for glory or a grade, but just fun. Once you get yourself back up you'll keep going, all your have to do is revisit what inspired you in the first place and see if it helps you out. And of course remember to take breaks, play some games, hang out with friends. Embrace art but don't let it overpower your life. Hope that helped.
GreenRaptorStudios

Postby MK_Wizard » February 5th, 2018, 8:41 am

I went through this same phase when I tried moving outside my comfort zone and more ahead with the ideas I wanted to pursue rather than what was popular. The backlash was... hard and for a while, I went back to just doing my art in private. However, after a while, I came to realise how important my art was to me and no great writer big or small got anywhere by not writing the way they wanted to write. And yes, they faced backlash for it, but they did it anyway.

You should keep trying no matter what happens. So you're not on the Dean's List, so what? Most great artists never made it on lists when they started out. If anything, they were usually the people who got naysayed for doing their art the way they wanted to do it. By all means, do well with your grades because education is important, but so is identity. Be yourself through your art.
MK_Wizard

Postby eishiya » February 5th, 2018, 8:50 am

This thread's two years old xP Even though it got necro-bumped before, that was also well over a year ago. Please check the dates on threads before you post in them! The OP hasn't been here for nearly two years, I doubt they'll see your responses.
eishiya

Postby mg_art17 » May 19th, 2018, 7:20 pm

eishiya wrote:This thread's two years old xP Even though it got necro-bumped before, that was also well over a year ago. Please check the dates on threads before you post in them! The OP hasn't been here for nearly two years, I doubt they'll see your responses.

But wouldn't this help out in some way to another artist that looked at the title and found it in some way relatable? Even If the author of the thread doesn't see the response anymore? <3
mg_art17

Postby Lutztoons » May 19th, 2018, 7:36 pm

I agree! Losing motivation in art is a common problem that artists face and we could always use some encouragement. ♡
Lutztoons

Postby EllisMatthews » November 13th, 2018, 1:58 am

Haha, I was so excited to see this thread because I feel like this all the time and thought I was alone!

One of the best pieces of advice I ever got about creative work is to do it no matter how you feel. Everyone works better with inspiration, but the truth is you can't be inspired all the time and creative work requires constant and regular effort. I hate to sound so cold, but I think sometimes you just have to put your head down and power through until the good feelings return.
EllisMatthews

Previous

Return to Life Issues