Who reads politically incorrect comics?

A board designated for discussion of personal issues.
Forum rules
Due to the often sensitive nature of the discussions occurring in Life Issues, we ask that you be particularly considerate and respectful toward posters here. Violation of this request will be considered a violation of the rules.

Re: Who reads politically incorrect comics?

Postby darkenergy » September 1st, 2017, 11:04 pm

xenophanes90 wrote:
Going out of your way to be anti-pc or whatever in your work is only counter-culture in the sense that it is a counterpoint to a cultural phenomenon

That cultural phenomenon is now the mainstream. When information gatekeepers like google (and pretty much the rest of silicon valley) openly silence critics of that cultural phenomenon, and when doing so can get you fired, then that cultural phenomenon is the mainstream. I am not agreeing with said critics mind you, just stating that they are not the dominant narrative.

There's a difference between 'criticism' and representing viewpoints that have been actively disproven (cough, evolutionary psychology, cough). Works that don't take into account the current state of information—for instance, claiming that colonialism is a net positive or that women have never served in combat—aren't critics/edgy/whatever, they're straight-up ignorant. Since someone mentioned James Damore—Damore didn't have the "edginess" to point out that documented genetic susceptibility to autism and schizophrenia means men may not be well-suited for leadership. He misinterpreted research to make a common claim that fit with his personal biases.
darkenergy

Postby JoKeR » September 2nd, 2017, 5:34 am

UrbanMysticDee wrote:
JoKeR wrote:For me is Political Correctness nothing more than an unknown and fluctuating set of rules and everyone has to abide by those rules... or else you are obviously Political Incorrect...a bad person... and you don't want to be a bad person, right? You don't want to be a Mr.Bungle.

What if I DO want to be a bad person?

Nooooohohohooo ...you don't want to go against the despotism of the goodness.
It's for your own good, to share the same worldview with everyone and be Political Correct.
obedience is freedom.

Scary huh?

What is Bad? Bad exists only in the eye of the alleged Good. From the point of view of the "Bad Person" is the Good the Bad.
To be "Bad" means that you're against what "Good" thinks and does and act against their worldview, Because you know that their way is the wrong way and you are the "Good" here, and therefore they are the "Bad".

This is also a good method to write a good villain for your Story.

-=: jokercologne.deviantart twitter.com/JoKeRcologne joker-cologne.tumblr :=-

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
JoKeR

Postby HM2000 » September 2nd, 2017, 7:27 am

JoKeR wrote:What is Bad? Bad exists only in the eye of the alleged Good. From the point of view of the "Bad Person" is the Good the Bad.
To be "Bad" means that you're against what "Good" thinks and does and act against their worldview, Because you know that their way is the wrong way and you are the "Good" here, and therefore they are the "Bad".

This is also a good method to write a good villain for your Story.

Amen.
HM2000

Postby Gibson Twist » September 2nd, 2017, 4:09 pm

xenophanes90 wrote:
Glueckskeks wrote:But anti-feminism is the opposite of being against convention, really. The last centuries were prevalently sexist, so if anything would be counter-culture, it's feminism.

This might have been true about 100 years ago, but right now feminism is the dominant paradigm of our time. It is the official point of view in classrooms and the workplace. You could criticize it, and then end up like James Damore (among others). An ideology that is entrenched in courts, the workplace, and school seems like a dominant ideology to me.

That is the reason I brought up politically incorrect comics. Most webcomics I've seen are overwhelmingly liberal. Phil's Neighborhood is hardly conservative, but it is anti-liberal (the latter is not synonymous with conservative). I'm always fascinated by those that go against the grain and webcomics are an interesting medium to watch counter-culture trends unfold.

Every part of this is wrong. Feminism is still demonized and ridiculed, workplaces, classrooms, and courts are still hostile environments for women, as they are for people of colour and queer folk. I would suggest that your attraction to work that is non-satirically "politically incorrect" is nothing more than your agreement with those sentiments that you are couching in a shelter of "but it's art!" and you're not really fooling anyone. If you want to be a bigot, own your bigotry.
Gibson Twist

Postby tentacletomato » September 4th, 2017, 4:24 am

It's less pc and more "problematic". I'll read comics for interesting stories and complex characters. Sometimes, those characters can do some horrible things. I guess I don't have much of a place to go with this, but I do want to say one of the effects of mob mentality as a reaction to not "pc" media. People say tumblr has an unhealthy community, though I haven't had a problem there. In fact, it's probably one of the few places I feel safe community-wise.

What concerns me is call out culture, especially on twitter. If a queer artist creates media that isn't a wholesome slice of life it's often open to harsh criticism. Especially artists who write works that feature crime, elements of sexual violence, etc in their comics. Of course they tag-warn and of course the artist doesn't glorify actions characters might take. Once twitter catches word though its a storm of doxxing and death threats for a couple of days until the user locks their account. Then "the evil is defeated" and everybody goes home. Congrats, you saved the inter-no, the WORLD from an independent storyteller who wrote a comic that had tagged warnings and disclaimers on sensitive material. Makes me wish we could go back to the ancient rule of "don't like, don't read"

It's fair to criticize a work if done with true intention to help. But some people are so focused on being fake woke they blur the lines between the lives of real people and lines on a piece of paper. It feels like bullying to me, and you never see these mobs go after mainstream media with sensitive material as hard with harmless independents.

Sorry for the rant, but it's something I've been seeing happen a LOT on twitter lately. It makes me nervous about writing my own story and posting work online. I don't want to get death threats
tentacletomato

Postby Cave » January 24th, 2018, 10:51 pm

Gibson Twist wrote:
xenophanes90 wrote:
Glueckskeks wrote:But anti-feminism is the opposite of being against convention, really. The last centuries were prevalently sexist, so if anything would be counter-culture, it's feminism.

This might have been true about 100 years ago, but right now feminism is the dominant paradigm of our time. It is the official point of view in classrooms and the workplace. You could criticize it, and then end up like James Damore (among others). An ideology that is entrenched in courts, the workplace, and school seems like a dominant ideology to me.

That is the reason I brought up politically incorrect comics. Most webcomics I've seen are overwhelmingly liberal. Phil's Neighborhood is hardly conservative, but it is anti-liberal (the latter is not synonymous with conservative). I'm always fascinated by those that go against the grain and webcomics are an interesting medium to watch counter-culture trends unfold.

Every part of this is wrong. Feminism is still demonized and ridiculed, workplaces, classrooms, and courts are still hostile environments for women, as they are for people of colour and queer folk. I would suggest that your attraction to work that is non-satirically "politically incorrect" is nothing more than your agreement with those sentiments that you are couching in a shelter of "but it's art!" and you're not really fooling anyone. If you want to be a bigot, own your bigotry.

Someone listening to an opposing viewpoint doesn't happen only because that person agrees with those sentiments. Perhaps people listen to those viewpoints to remain open-minded, see an issue from the other person's perspective, and even find reasonable arguments and find a way to create a basis for a mutual understanding that can help grow each person's worldview. I know, hard to believe that anything positive could come from those evil anti-feminist, conservative, whatever you want to call them, people. The way of thinking that we are never allowed to have any contact with someone we disagree with is detrimental to any sort of intellectual, societal, or individual growth and keeps one in a close-minded bubble.

Now back onto the topic... I don't have any comics I follow that I think are politically incorrect, though I do watch some Youtube channels that would be considered that. I don't really go out of my way to find comics to read, I usually just stumble upon them here and there. If something interests me, I'll read/watch it and if it's politically incorrect then I don't usually care since I am very against censorship and I like to see people's true thoughts in their works and sometimes people's thoughts aren't PC and I don't think they have to be in order to be progressive.
Cave

Postby 15Spells » January 25th, 2018, 5:15 am

haha i actually love politically incorrect comics matter fact my ongoing manga is alot like it
15Spells

Postby StanleyComics » January 26th, 2018, 1:30 am

I really don't care about political correctness in a comic, as long as the story is good and the characters are interesting and developed. Also, if the art is great. Get those three done, and political correctness is a worry no more :D
StanleyComics

Postby MK_Wizard » January 26th, 2018, 1:45 pm

It depends. If it's not too offensive, I give it a chance. If I find it's getting mean spirited, I steer clear of it and not speak of it again.
MK_Wizard

Postby whylycoin » February 18th, 2018, 2:10 am

Ive read comics by provacateurs that were genuinely interesting and funny but a lot of non-pc-or whatever you call it- 'art' is just people being bigoted while hiding behind the shields of 'art'. I enjoy some stuff that might be borderline problematic but I don't hold those views myself.
whylycoin

Postby cloverthegreat » February 18th, 2018, 8:35 pm

I just roll my eyes and move on to something else. "Not PC" is usually a sign of immaturity at best and there's a lot of media out there.
cloverthegreat

Postby JoKeR » February 19th, 2018, 6:55 pm

Why do you have to explicitly advertise your comic with "this is politically incorrect content". Just tell your story and stop using content warnings as a billboard.

Politically incorrectness depends btw. on the environment that offending person lives.
In Germany are nude people and swearing nothing special ...sex and hardcore stuff is for adults.
What American people would call P.I. , would no one care about In Germany.
What would Germans offend, would be like a harmless joke in France...
etc.

Those who label their comic "Not PC" just trying to provoke ...nothing else is important in that story, just showing nude and blood and profanity for the sake of it.

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
JoKeR

Postby cloverthegreat » February 19th, 2018, 7:03 pm

JoKeR wrote:Why do you have to explicitly advertise your comic with "this is politically incorrect content". Just tell your story and stop using content warnings as a billboard.

Politically incorrectness depends btw. on the environment that offending person lives.
In Germany are nude people and swearing nothing special ...sex and hardcore stuff is for adults.
What American people would call P.I. , would no one care about In Germany.
What would Germans offend, would be like a harmless joke in France...
etc.

Those who label their comic "Not PC" just trying to provoke ...nothing else is important in that story, just showing nude and blood and profanity for the sake of it.

This is more like, "What do you tell a woman with two black eyes- nothing you didn't tell 'em twice HAW HAW IT'S A JOKE, no but seriously if I had a gay son, I'd kill him."
cloverthegreat

Postby JoKeR » February 20th, 2018, 12:06 pm

cloverthegreat wrote:This is more like, "What do you tell a woman with two black eyes- nothing you didn't tell 'em twice HAW HAW IT'S A JOKE, no but seriously if I had a gay son, I'd kill him."

That's all?

JoKeR

Postby mitchellbravo » February 20th, 2018, 1:53 pm

JoKeR wrote:
cloverthegreat wrote:This is more like, "What do you tell a woman with two black eyes- nothing you didn't tell 'em twice HAW HAW IT'S A JOKE, no but seriously if I had a gay son, I'd kill him."

That's all?

Clover's referring to situations where people make an offensive joke, defend it by saying it's just a joke, but actually aren't entirely joking. Kidding around about offensive stuff is one way of testing the waters to see if other people agree with you. If someone gets mad, well, you were just joking! But if somebody responds "Haha right on!" then you've found a kindred spirit.
Not true in every case, obviously. But for example if somebody started writing a comic about chill funny Nazis killing caricature Jews, I wouldn't be convinced they were "just joking" about it. Then again, I also wouldn't want to read or give pageviews to the comic in the first place.

It's all to do with how things are being represented. Is a comic with racist jokes actually about laughing AT racists, or laughing WITH them? Obviously we can't say for a hypothetical example, because it's, you know, hypothetical.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

PreviousNext

Return to Life Issues