Who reads politically incorrect comics?

A board designated for discussion of personal issues.
Forum rules
Due to the often sensitive nature of the discussions occurring in Life Issues, we ask that you be particularly considerate and respectful toward posters here. Violation of this request will be considered a violation of the rules.

Who reads politically incorrect comics?

Postby xenophanes90 » August 21st, 2017, 10:22 pm

I must confess that is strangely satisfying to read things that fly in the face of convention sometimes. I've been reading Carlos Latuff's stuff for years and some of the anti-Israel stuff is a bit extreme. Nevertheless the man has quite an imagination and he undeniably clever. Do any of you read offensive comic strips, and if so, which is the most offensive one you've read so far?
xenophanes90

Re: Who reads politically incorrect comics?

Postby Hornmeister » August 22nd, 2017, 3:09 am

The most politically incorrect comic I've read so far were the first two volumes of The League of extraodinary Gentlemen and tbh it really dampened my enjoyment of them. I usually don't quit stuff over it, but that's only so I can get a picture of the whole thing. If I know beforehand that something is deliberately being crude just to provoce people into getting riled up about it, I usually stay away from it.
Tbh I wouldn't really describe politically incorrect stuff as something that flies in the face of convention, though.
Hornmeister

Postby xenophanes90 » August 22nd, 2017, 9:50 am

Hornmeister wrote:Tbh I wouldn't really describe politically incorrect stuff as something that flies in the face of convention, though.

It flies in the face of verbal conventions though. At times it's not even the speech itself per se, but the message that some people find offensive. I just found this webcomic on Instagram that doesn't use sexist terms but it's still quite anti-feminist. Comics are a fascinating medium for expressing counter culture viewpoints.

PS the comic I mentioned is www.instagram.com/philsneighborhood
xenophanes90

Postby Glueckskeks » August 22nd, 2017, 11:31 am

But anti-feminism is the opposite of being against convention, really. The last centuries were prevalently sexist, so if anything would be counter-culture, it's feminism. A lot of what people nowadays call political correctness is that you're not allowed to be a jerk to people anymore that people have been jerks to for a long time. For example, homosexuality was considered a crime until fairly recently, there's nothing cool or new or alternative about being homophobic. What you seem to be doing is being conservative under the pretense of coolness.
Glueckskeks

Postby UrbanMysticDee » August 22nd, 2017, 2:05 pm

Read, write, everything I watch and listen to. I don't go out to see a movie unless there are a ton of butthurt reviews. I find it to be the best screening method for quality.
Image Image
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby xenophanes90 » August 22nd, 2017, 4:37 pm

Glueckskeks wrote:But anti-feminism is the opposite of being against convention, really. The last centuries were prevalently sexist, so if anything would be counter-culture, it's feminism.

This might have been true about 100 years ago, but right now feminism is the dominant paradigm of our time. It is the official point of view in classrooms and the workplace. You could criticize it, and then end up like James Damore (among others). An ideology that is entrenched in courts, the workplace, and school seems like a dominant ideology to me.

That is the reason I brought up politically incorrect comics. Most webcomics I've seen are overwhelmingly liberal. Phil's Neighborhood is hardly conservative, but it is anti-liberal (the latter is not synonymous with conservative). I'm always fascinated by those that go against the grain and webcomics are an interesting medium to watch counter-culture trends unfold.
xenophanes90

Postby Hornmeister » August 22nd, 2017, 4:58 pm

We are still in a phase of working against societal problems established centuries ago and the way you present those issues is very reductive. Going out of your way to be anti-pc or whatever in your work is only counter-culture in the sense that it is a counterpoint to a cultural phenomenon, not by going against the mainstream or something like that. I didn't read too many of those comic strips you linked, but it doesn't even seem that offensive to me. It's mostly just bad puns with superficial shock value.
Hornmeister

Postby mitchellbravo » August 22nd, 2017, 5:02 pm

xenophanes90 wrote:
Glueckskeks wrote:But anti-feminism is the opposite of being against convention, really. The last centuries were prevalently sexist, so if anything would be counter-culture, it's feminism.

This might have been true about 100 years ago, but right now feminism is the dominant paradigm of our time. It is the official point of view in classrooms and the workplace. You could criticize it, and then end up like James Damore (among others). An ideology that is entrenched in courts, the workplace, and school seems like a dominant ideology to me.

Which is why the U.S. has had so many female presidents, paternity leaves are as common, as encouraged, and as long as maternity leaves, and birth control meidcations are so easily affordable even without insurance? ;)

As for myself, I usually lose interest the minute someone starts bragging about being "politically incorrect." If you have an opinion, go on and state it, you don't need to puff up about how brave you are to be "speaking the truth" so far as you think it to be. It's absolutely possible to be sexist, racist, whatever, and be amusing about it- but it comes down to knowing your audience and, well, actually being funny. Some comedians/writers seem to think being rude or being an asshole is inherently funny, and that's where they draw all their humor from. I think most folks who support those comedians/writers support more because they on some level agree with whatever the person is saying, than actually thinking what the person has to say is humorous. This is why I cringe at a lot of political cartoons that express opinions I politically agree with- ohh, you drew the other side to look really stupid and bad, ha ha, our side is truly the better. (ones I disagree with, too, but I come across fewer of those). I would avoid reading something like the comic you describe that aligns itself as "anti-liberal," as I would avoid something "anti-conservative"- they tend to just get too negative, too up-their-own-ass, etc, I find it tiresome. If I wanted to read people having closed-up, strawman-battling, dismissive opinions about things, I can read the comment threads on just about any facebook page and save msyelf some time.

I guess my peeve is with people who drape themselves in the garb of "telling it like it is" and using it to cover up their laziness or lack of creativity.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby UrbanMysticDee » August 22nd, 2017, 5:17 pm

I think it's best to define "liberal" and "conservative", because different people in different countries use those words to mean different things. I've taken a number of these political spectrum type online quizzes, and depending on who made them I'm either center-left or center-right.
Image Image
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby mitchellbravo » August 22nd, 2017, 6:00 pm

Good point, Dee- and socially conservative/liberal vs. fiscally conservative/liberal also gets muddy.

In general, I'm defining conservative as more reactionary*, traditional, "keep things the way they are"/"don't fix what ain't broken," and liberal as progressive*, "times have changed, and the law/society's opinions ought to change to keep up with it."

*These are also loaded terms I suppose... reactionary meaning waiting until there's a big problem/a lot of noise made before expending the resources to change something, progressive meaning seeking problems in need of resources, even if not everyone agrees that those problems deserve those resources.

An example, using a recent trans* issue as the comparison point- and I hope it makes enough sense-
A reactionary approach is the introduction of bathroom ban laws, because there are people who are newly aware transgendered people may use the same bathroom as them, and are scared. Coming from the traditional idea that since you take some of your clothes off in a bathroom, it must in some level be a private-parts-based category activity. The bathrooms themselves and the premises are unchanged- man go in man bathroom, woman go in woman bathroom- but become more enforced based on one definition of what comprises a man vs. a woman.
A progressive approach is the introduction of more unisex bathrooms, which benefit several small groups of people- transgendered people afraid of being harassed, folks with disabilities who might need the bathroom more often/take longer in there, parents with young kids of the opposite gender who are old enough to realize they're in the "wrong" bathroom but too young to go alone, etc. But many (most?) of the population are perfectly fine with the sex/gender-link of public bathrooms as-is, and may disagree that this is a valuable use of resources (space, money).
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby xenophanes90 » August 22nd, 2017, 6:15 pm

Going out of your way to be anti-pc or whatever in your work is only counter-culture in the sense that it is a counterpoint to a cultural phenomenon

That cultural phenomenon is now the mainstream. When information gatekeepers like google (and pretty much the rest of silicon valley) openly silence critics of that cultural phenomenon, and when doing so can get you fired, then that cultural phenomenon is the mainstream. I am not agreeing with said critics mind you, just stating that they are not the dominant narrative.
xenophanes90

Postby Hornmeister » August 22nd, 2017, 6:40 pm

It's the same with the pc-culture you perceive to be affecting every facet of our lives. Both of them are just some voices among many, and neither of them are some sort of dominant culture. It's just that very common ideas, like for example that people don't like being ostracized or having their beliefs ridiculed, are oftentimes congruent with the latter.
Hornmeister

Postby JoKeR » September 1st, 2017, 7:29 pm

What is Political Incorrect?
Not what the term means but what is the definition of it.
How can you describe something so subjective vague like Political Correctness and declare something else to its counterpart.
For example:
Is a lame joke about handicapped people p-incorrect? Is a good joke about handicapped people p-incorrect? Is a good joke about handicapped people told by a handicapped person p-incorrect? Is excluding handicapped people from any kind of joke p-incorrect? Is talking about handicapped people in jokes already p-incorrect?

For me is Political Correctness nothing more than an unknown and fluctuating set of rules and everyone has to abide by those rules... or else you are obviously Political Incorrect...a bad person... and you don't want to be a bad person, right? You don't want to be a Mr.Bungle.

-=: jokercologne.deviantart twitter.com/JoKeRcologne joker-cologne.tumblr :=-

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
JoKeR

Postby UrbanMysticDee » September 1st, 2017, 8:40 pm

JoKeR wrote:a lame joke about handicapped people

I don't know if that was intentional, but that was good.

JoKeR wrote:For me is Political Correctness nothing more than an unknown and fluctuating set of rules and everyone has to abide by those rules... or else you are obviously Political Incorrect...a bad person... and you don't want to be a bad person, right? You don't want to be a Mr.Bungle.

What if I DO want to be a bad person?
Image Image
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby HM2000 » September 1st, 2017, 9:15 pm

UrbanMysticDee wrote:What if I DO want to be a bad person?

More power to ya! Just keep the dead bodies to a 0%, avoid the homicidal fans like the plague, and be the biggest jackass you can be. Free country, baby.
HM2000

Next

Return to Life Issues