Please help me! I need to help my friend!

A board designated for discussion of personal issues.
Forum rules
Due to the often sensitive nature of the discussions occurring in Life Issues, we ask that you be particularly considerate and respectful toward posters here. Violation of this request will be considered a violation of the rules.

Please help me! I need to help my friend!

Postby JakiraJurosawa » October 17th, 2017, 8:53 pm

An internet friend of mine was telling about her life and how her mother is emotionally abusive and doesn't let her have contact with any people except on the internet. she doesn't really think much of it but she needs to get out of there. She has no family or friends who live near her. I thought maybe she should go to the police station but what would that do? I need advice on where she can go? Who she should call? What she should do? She's 16 btw
Check my webcomic Crimes & Cars! http://crimeandcars.smackjeeves.com/
A story about the schemes and misadventures of a cold trophy-wife, Renée, and a cocky teen scoundrel, Rudy, set in circa 1930s. Stay tuned for all sorts of crazy twists!
JakiraJurosawa

Re: Please help me! I need to help my friend!

Postby Admin » October 18th, 2017, 6:06 pm

Does your friend go to school?
Admin
Site Admin

Postby JakiraJurosawa » October 18th, 2017, 7:30 pm

No she was always homeschooled and now I don't even think she is schooled anymore
A story about the schemes and misadventures of a cold trophy-wife, Renée, and a cocky teen scoundrel, Rudy, set in circa 1930s. Stay tuned for all sorts of crazy twists!
JakiraJurosawa

Postby Squirreltastic-Blue » October 19th, 2017, 5:15 pm

Your case isn't impossible but it's a little unheard of.
Your best bet is social services, but depending on your friends age, they may simply suggest working and then renting out their own place.
Squirreltastic-Blue

Postby eishiya » October 19th, 2017, 6:06 pm

Squirreltastic-Blue wrote:Your case isn't impossible but it's a little unheard of.
Your best bet is social services, but depending on your friends age, they may simply suggest working and then renting out their own place.

They said she's 16, which is under the age of majority on most places. Social services may actually be helpful in this case.

OP: The organizations responsible for handling child abuse vary from country to country, state to state, city to city. I recommend googling "report child abuse" followed by your friend's location, e.g. "report child abuse UK" or "report child abuse Nebraska". You may stumble on the correct place right away, or you may find a site that'll help you narrow down the search.
In general, these organizations will not be the police, but Child Protective Services or a similar agency. However, if the parents outright hurt your friend, or deliberately neglect them (leave them without food for longer than an evening, leave them without clothing, lock them out of the house, etc), then that is absolutely a reason to call the police.

Some services, like the UK's ChildLine, have numbers that are toll-free and don't show up on your phone bill. If you can find one of those in your friend's area, that's probably the best place to start.

If possible, your friend should seek a trusted adult who doesn't have close ties to the abusive parent, so that they can help. Since your friend probably doesn't have any teachers, a good bet is a church official. An adult may be able to help navigate the mess that is dealing with government agencies, as well as provide shelter or protection in case the abusive parents try to retaliate.
eishiya

Postby JakiraJurosawa » October 19th, 2017, 10:06 pm

@Squirreltastic-Blue and @eishiya ah! Thank you so much!
JakiraJurosawa

Return to Life Issues