Since it is cold and flu season

A board designated for discussion of personal issues.
Forum rules
Due to the often sensitive nature of the discussions occurring in Life Issues, we ask that you be particularly considerate and respectful toward posters here. Violation of this request will be considered a violation of the rules.

Since it is cold and flu season

Postby MK_Wizard » January 15th, 2018, 2:51 pm

During this time of winter, people are prone to colds and flus so I thought I would give some advice on what works when people get a cold.

Diet: Eat fruit (especially citrus), vegetables and dry bread. No milk or meat because it's hard on the stomach which interrupts sleep and induces nausea. Soup is great, but it must be vegetable based. Tomato soup is the best especially with lots of garlic and fresh ginger. Most importantly, do not eat sugar or anything too cold. Cold and sugar feeds germs and bacteria.

Stay Clean: Wash yourself every day maybe even twice if you're sweating a lot, wear clean clothes every day and clean pajamas and make sure to brush your teeth morning and night while rinsing with salt water. Salt water gets rid of the germs collected in your mouth.

Rest but walk a bit: Do not stay in bed. Sit, but let your body get fresh air so the germs can move away not cultivate on you. Also, walk a bit because moving gets your system going.

Drink a lot of water and tea: Citrus and spiced teas are amazing for when you're sick, but water is the best. Remember, no sugar so avoid soft drinks and sugary stuff. And no milk or honey. You will regret it...

Take Tylenol for pain only: Unless they are prescribed antibiotics or prescribed medicine, leave the medicines on the counter. They are just straight up sugar placebos. If you need to take over the counter medicine that badly, take Tylenol for pain.

Play Music: I recommend soft music, but if you can handle rock even when sick, that's great too. The better your mood, the better your body will act. Wellness isn't just physical. It's also emotional.
MK_Wizard

Re: Since it is cold and flu season

Postby Admin » January 16th, 2018, 12:58 am

Good tips! I might just try some of this regimen despite being healthy...
Admin
Site Admin

Postby TheJGamer » January 16th, 2018, 1:03 am

Yeah, these are great tips to stay healthy!

I've actually had a stuffy nose for some time, but got real better after taking some Vitamin C gummies, heh. They really do help!
Just some kid who likes to draw and sprite. Thinking of starting a comic and actually sticking with it.
TheJGamer

Postby MK_Wizard » January 16th, 2018, 9:02 am

Glad my advice helps and... sorry for putting this up in the wrong place. Mixed up the rules of different sites. Shoot.
MK_Wizard

Postby DriftingSamurai » January 16th, 2018, 11:03 pm

"Most importantly, do not eat sugar or anything too cold."

oof, looks like it's time to cut off the ben n' jerry's
DriftingSamurai

Postby MK_Wizard » January 17th, 2018, 8:01 am

Yup. Besides, ice cream is cold which also cultures all the bad stuff in you.
MK_Wizard

Postby JoKeR » February 6th, 2018, 10:14 am

MK_Wizard wrote:Yup. Besides, ice cream is cold which also cultures all the bad stuff in you.

Like what?

-=: jokercologne.deviantart twitter.com/JoKeRcologne joker-cologne.tumblr :=-

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
JoKeR

Postby MK_Wizard » February 6th, 2018, 10:56 am

JoKeR wrote:
MK_Wizard wrote:Yup. Besides, ice cream is cold which also cultures all the bad stuff in you.

Like what?

I can't remember at the moment, but most germs get worse in the cold hence why we get sick or worse when we have a cold and go out in the snow.
MK_Wizard

Postby darkenergy » February 6th, 2018, 3:51 pm

MK_Wizard wrote:
JoKeR wrote:

Like what?

I can't remember at the moment, but most germs get worse in the cold hence why we get sick or worse when we have a cold and go out in the snow.

In winter, people tend to spend more time in closed spaces, plus our bodies aren't optimized for cold weather - drippy noses, even when not virulent, are spreading crap. It's not quite that germs are getting worse in the cold. (The current avian flu going around came from Australia, which is currently in summer.)

I get over colds by eating a crapload of sugar (mostly as coconut water). It's quick energy that my body needs so I don't fall over. And fruit *is* loaded with sugar - but it's not the same molecule as whatever processed junk. Processed junk also doesn't contain the vitamins and nutrients you find in real food.

I don't know about the foods we eat feeding germs, but I would hope that food going through your digestive tract aren't being picked up as-is by an upper respiratory virus that is inhabiting the lungs and bloodstream ;) (In fairness, it's been a few years since I took immunology. But I don't recall that viruses can exactly use food that way - they need to co-opt cellular machinery.)
darkenergy

Postby MK_Wizard » February 6th, 2018, 4:48 pm

I can't remember at the moment, but most germs get worse in the cold hence why we get sick or worse when we have a cold and go out in the snow.[/quote]

In winter, people tend to spend more time in closed spaces, plus our bodies aren't optimized for cold weather - drippy noses, even when not virulent, are spreading crap. It's not quite that germs are getting worse in the cold. (The current avian flu going around came from Australia, which is currently in summer.)

I get over colds by eating a crapload of sugar (mostly as coconut water). It's quick energy that my body needs so I don't fall over. And fruit *is* loaded with sugar - but it's not the same molecule as whatever processed junk. Processed junk also doesn't contain the vitamins and nutrients you find in real food.

I don't know about the foods we eat feeding germs, but I would hope that food going through your digestive tract aren't being picked up as-is by an upper respiratory virus that is inhabiting the lungs and bloodstream ;) (In fairness, it's been a few years since I took immunology. But I don't recall that viruses can exactly use food that way - they need to co-opt cellular machinery.)[/quote]

Really? All I know is that my method works, but if yours works for you, it's all good :)
MK_Wizard

Postby darkenergy » February 6th, 2018, 5:05 pm

MK_Wizard wrote:IReally? All I know is that my method works, but if yours works for you, it's all good :)

I agree with your method in general - eating things with actual nutritional content is important, especially when your body is burning through resources rapidly - just pointing out that I've never heard it had anything to do with what germs feed on. :) (I should mention that honey has antimicrobial properties, though don't think much has come of it: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23782759 )
darkenergy

Postby LemPem » February 6th, 2018, 5:23 pm

All I want from people during cold/flu season is cough into the crease of your elbow (not the hand you use to touch everything...!), wash your hands after you went to the bathroom (every time I notice someone exiting the bathroom literally two seconds after they flushed a part of me dies) and stay home when you're really sick...
LemPem

Return to Life Issues