Anyone else doing a comic based on a book?

A board designated for discussion of personal issues.
Forum rules
Due to the often sensitive nature of the discussions occurring in Life Issues, we ask that you be particularly considerate and respectful toward posters here. Violation of this request will be considered a violation of the rules.

Anyone else doing a comic based on a book?

Postby MK_Wizard » February 18th, 2018, 9:26 pm

I ask because maybe we can talk. I am very open to building bridges with people who make famous books and tales into comics. Tastefully that is. I keep it clean and kind. I respect those who are more adventurous in their writing. I am just not that type of girl lol. And when I say literature and such I mean books like Grimm Tales, Frankenstein, Peter Pan, The Odyssy, Phantom of the Opera, etc.

Anyone?
MK_Wizard

Re: Anyone else doing a comic based on a book?

Postby UrbanMysticDee » February 18th, 2018, 9:35 pm

I've written two books that were inspired by or updated versions of classics Frankenstein and the myth of Orpheus. One of my comics (The L, or just L I think I'm calling it now) is inspired by Hamlet, although it stalled in the 70 page prologue and we've just seen the father before I put it on indefinite hiatus.
Image Image
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby avian-reader » February 19th, 2018, 10:59 am

Man I'd love to do a manga style comic based on Red Dragon. So much of it evokes awesome images in my head :)

I'd keep little kid Francis's face hidden until the "c*nt face" scene, and give him the most adorable look when he says it. Create massive dissonance :D
Got questions about autism? Feel free to ask :)
avian-reader

Postby tentacletomato » February 22nd, 2018, 1:54 am

Honestly it's a crime The Well of Loneliness hasn't received any form of adaption yet. Though it does make sense, it's an old book from 1928 about a woman's life as a lesbian (and possibly transgender too?) Safe to say I'm pretty sure it's one of those banned books, but ever since I came across it in an antique store, it's been there for me. If possible, I want to be the one to bring it back into the public light.
tentacletomato

Postby MK_Wizard » February 22nd, 2018, 8:18 am

tentacletomato wrote:Honestly it's a crime The Well of Loneliness hasn't received any form of adaption yet. Though it does make sense, it's an old book from 1928 about a woman's life as a lesbian (and possibly transgender too?) Safe to say I'm pretty sure it's one of those banned books, but ever since I came across it in an antique store, it's been there for me. If possible, I want to be the one to bring it back into the public light.

It sounds like a book that was ahead of its time for obvious reasons. There needs to be more LGBT themed books and I say this as a straight, but not narrow woman. Specifically ones that don't romanticise being LGBT and show the realistic struggles. And most important that people of that group are human. I can recommend a webcomic that I am reading for you that is LGBT but with respect if you are interested.
MK_Wizard

Postby Oly-RRR » February 24th, 2018, 10:33 pm

tentacletomato wrote:The Well of Loneliness

I stumbled on a reference to this book just a couple of days after reading this thread so it's not forgotten! Just... not adapted into any other media, yeah.
My problem would rock your world. - Sam Tyler
Oly-RRR

Postby authorloremipsum » March 1st, 2018, 2:45 pm

I only just joined SJ, but I'm planning on adapting multiple of the Sherlock Holmes stories. Yeah it's a little cliche but like, no one remembers how light hearted and fun they actually are!
There's not as much action sure, but there's all this cloak and dagger, there's Holmes and Watson being actual children, it's funny and sweet and NO ONE REMEMBERS in favor of bang bang shooty and smart characters who are assholes.
Also, I've yet to find an adaptation with a trans Sherlock Holmes so that's going to be an adventure :D
authorloremipsum

Postby eishiya » March 1st, 2018, 3:04 pm

authorloremipsum wrote:I only just joined SJ, but I'm planning on adapting multiple of the Sherlock Holmes stories. Yeah it's a little cliche but like, no one remembers how light hearted and fun they actually are!
There's not as much action sure, but there's all this cloak and dagger, there's Holmes and Watson being actual children, it's funny and sweet and NO ONE REMEMBERS in favor of bang bang shooty and smart characters who are assholes.
Also, I've yet to find an adaptation with a trans Sherlock Holmes so that's going to be an adventure :D

I resent the assumption that no one remembers xP Every time there's a new adaptation out, there's a big chunk of the Internet complaining about how the adaptation missed the point, and an even bigger chunk that just keeps its mouth shut. The books still sell consistently well, so there are lots of people still familiar with the originals :D It's true that the majority probably only know the characters through pop culture osmosis and adaptations, but the minority sure isn't "no one" :D And it is that minority that'll probably be reading your comics and loving them.
eishiya

Postby Oly-RRR » March 1st, 2018, 5:15 pm

eishiya wrote:I resent the assumption that no one remembers xP

This! I fell in love with those books when I was a kid and my mother had to ban "Sherlock" as a pet name. And it's not that I only like books but all tv adaptations let you down in the end because tv people rarely know where to stop.

authorloremipsum wrote:all this cloak and dagger, there's Holmes and Watson being actual children, it's funny and sweet

authorloremipsum wrote:Also, I've yet to find an adaptation with a trans Sherlock Holmes so that's going to be an adventure :D

So yes, bring it on, bring it on! :)
My problem would rock your world. - Sam Tyler
Oly-RRR

Postby authorloremipsum » May 7th, 2018, 11:54 pm

Hello again
just popping in to say that the comic I mentioned before has actually begun :>
Last edited by eishiya on May 8th, 2018, 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please don't link to your comic here. You can use the Self-Promotion forum and your signature for that.
authorloremipsum

Return to Life Issues