Tough Life of A BL Author

A board designated for discussion of personal issues.
Forum rules
Due to the often sensitive nature of the discussions occurring in Life Issues, we ask that you be particularly considerate and respectful toward posters here. Violation of this request will be considered a violation of the rules.

Tough Life of A BL Author

Postby ArineAyano » March 19th, 2018, 9:57 am

Hi, I'm Aya @ Arine Ayano. I'm a new author in Smackjeeves and Webtoon with my new published comic called Heart Matters. When I first posted my webcomic on Smackjeeves and Webtoon, many of the readers didn't realized that it was actually a BL Webtoon. They just kept on reading until I blatantly declared that it was a BL on the cover.

The surprise is, I lost almost half of my subscribers and fans because of the declaration. What should I do? It is really shocking knowing that I lost so much by declaring it's a BL. What can I do then? I live BL, it is one of my favorite genre. Fujoshi is life!!!! That's why I decided my first comic should be BL. I never regret my decision and never will. BL is my passion and I want to live with that but whowww! That is a tough life for a BL Author to be recognized!

My art is still not perfect, I need to learn more and improve my art skills and story telling skills. I know some of the BL author out there takes years to be recognized and I just uploaded the Webtoon a 4 months a go and I vent on losing my subscribers. I know, it's a tough life and I have to deal with it.

I promise I'll do my best in improving myself!
Last edited by eishiya on March 19th, 2018, 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please don't promote your comic here, and please don't embed large images.
ArineAyano

Re: Tough Life of A BL Author

Postby eishiya » March 19th, 2018, 10:40 am

I suspect the reason you lost all those readers isn't because being a BL author is particularly tough, but because you accidentally appealed to the wrong audience at the beginning. So, the people who were hoping for a non-romance or for a non-BL romance ended up leaving, and since your comic wasn't openly BL at the start, the BL fans ignored it. You'll probably build your numbers back up as the BL fans find your comic (again, in some cases).

If anything, I've found that it's much easier to get a lot of subscribers for a comic that's BL and is clearly labelled as such, because "BL" is very easy to communicate, and BL fans know what they like. The downside is that BL fans are so used to BL being labelled that they assume anything that's not labelled as BL isn't BL.
eishiya

Postby kayotics » March 19th, 2018, 10:58 am

I'm going to start off my response by saying I'm pretty openly queer and part of the LGBT community.

I'm glad that you've found a genre you love, and that you love your boys' love stories. But I'd like to at least say that, from my personal perspective as a queer artist, saying "it's a tough life for a BL author to be recognized" is a little bit... offensive.

I don't know if you're lgbt or not. You don't have to share that information, it's not anyone's business. I know plenty of LGBT who make BL stories. But if you're making entertainment off of a marginalized group, it might not be the best thing to say that it's tough for you to be an author of that genre, when there's people who are living being lgbt.
kayotics

Postby ArineAyano » March 19th, 2018, 11:10 am

eishiya wrote:I suspect the reason you lost all those readers isn't because being a BL author is particularly tough, but because you accidentally appealed to the wrong audience at the beginning. So, the people who were hoping for a non-romance or for a non-BL romance ended up leaving, and since your comic wasn't openly BL at the start, the BL fans ignored it. You'll probably build your numbers back up as the BL fans find your comic (again, in some cases).

If anything, I've found that it's much easier to get a lot of subscribers for a comic that's BL and is clearly labelled as such, because "BL" is very easy to communicate, and BL fans know what they like. The downside is that BL fans are so used to BL being labelled that they assume anything that's not labelled as BL isn't BL.

Hmmmm, it's kinda true. Maybe I'm just a bit sad when I posted this, thinking no one want to read them, not because of the genre but because of the shock of the sudden declaration of the genre. Yeah, as one of BL fans, I'm tend to ignore the cover with no BL signs thinking they're not BL. Great advice! Thanks anyway. I just need to continue what I'm doing and the fans will come with the flow.
ArineAyano

Postby ArineAyano » March 19th, 2018, 11:14 am

kayotics wrote:I'm going to start off my response by saying I'm pretty openly queer and part of the LGBT community.

I'm glad that you've found a genre you love, and that you love your boys' love stories. But I'd like to at least say that, from my personal perspective as a queer artist, saying "it's a tough life for a BL author to be recognized" is a little bit... offensive.

I don't know if you're lgbt or not. You don't have to share that information, it's not anyone's business. I know plenty of LGBT who make BL stories. But if you're making entertainment off of a marginalized group, it might not be the best thing to say that it's tough for you to be an author of that genre, when there's people who are living being lgbt.

I'm sorry! I didn't mean to offend anyone from anywhere or anything! I just feel sad that almost half of my subscribers left and I thought it was because of the BL signs I just put there but actually it was from the shock of accepting the genre that they didn't expect in the first place because at the beginning I didn't blantantly declare the genre but then I just suddenly shocked some of the subscribers. Like a wrong target of audience cases. I'm so sorry for being offensive, I didn't mean to be one.
ArineAyano

Postby kayotics » March 19th, 2018, 11:19 am

ArineAyano wrote:I'm sorry! I didn't mean to offend anyone from anywhere or anything! I just feel sad that almost half of my subscribers left and I thought it was because of the BL signs I just put there but actually it was from the shock of accepting the genre that they didn't expect in the first place because at the beginning I didn't blantantly declare the genre but then I just suddenly shocked some of the subscribers. Like a wrong target of audience cases. I'm so sorry for being offensive, I didn't mean to be one.

Hey, no problem. :) Overall, I think that BL can be a really good tool to make LGBT issues more accessible to a wider audience. I have no major problems with it, and I think there's a lot of good that can come from the genre. Thank you for the apology.

I hope you get your subscribers back, and good luck. I know it can be frustrating to suddenly lose a bunch of your following, but if you keep at it, I think things will bounce back soon enough.
kayotics

Postby ArineAyano » March 19th, 2018, 11:31 am

kayotics wrote:
ArineAyano wrote:I'm sorry! I didn't mean to offend anyone from anywhere or anything! I just feel sad that almost half of my subscribers left and I thought it was because of the BL signs I just put there but actually it was from the shock of accepting the genre that they didn't expect in the first place because at the beginning I didn't blantantly declare the genre but then I just suddenly shocked some of the subscribers. Like a wrong target of audience cases. I'm so sorry for being offensive, I didn't mean to be one.

Hey, no problem. :) Overall, I think that BL can be a really good tool to make LGBT issues more accessible to a wider audience. I have no major problems with it, and I think there's a lot of good that can come from the genre. Thank you for the apology.

I hope you get your subscribers back, and good luck. I know it can be frustrating to suddenly lose a bunch of your following, but if you keep at it, I think things will bounce back soon enough.

Thank you for your advice! Yes, I'm feeling really down because of the lost of subscribers but like you said if I just continue with my passion and continue doing my comic genuinely, subscribers will bounce back into the amount.
ArineAyano

Postby LemPem » March 19th, 2018, 5:04 pm

First thing I want to say is that I'm not trying to bash or start a fight or something (if I come across as rude I apologise in advance) but I usually feel like a BL stamp on your cover is in fact a way to gain a lot of fans. Definitely not saying you don't have to be skilled if you do BL, but as aforementioned the BL genre seems to have a lot of fans who know what they like/want. I think as soon as your target audience notices that it is in fact a BL your fan count will bounce back up, and then some. :)

I usually don't read most of the things here marked with BL because, funnily enough as a queer person, I don't feel like I'm part of the target audience of this specific genre. ^^" I find myself enjoying the series where a lot of sexualities and identities are represented/explored and group dynamics play a bigger role than the love between two characters much more actually.

Hope the right audience will find your comic! :)
LemPem

Return to Life Issues