Studying and webcomics

A board designated for discussion of personal issues.
Forum rules
Due to the often sensitive nature of the discussions occurring in Life Issues, we ask that you be particularly considerate and respectful toward posters here. Violation of this request will be considered a violation of the rules.

Studying and webcomics

Postby Dave Hornet » January 24th, 2019, 8:26 am

Are there any other teenager Jeevers here? Like the ones like me who have webcomics?
How do you manage uploading comics and studying? Especially if you're in college
Dave Hornet

Re: Studying and webcomics

Postby eishiya » January 24th, 2019, 8:48 am

I'm not studying any more, but I did my first webcomic while I was still at university. I was in STEM, not art, so I didn't have art classes to burn me out on art.

Mostly, I made use of downtime during the day. Carried a clipboard with paper on it everywhere. Wrote during commutes (big campus) and during some of the more awkward breaks between classes. Thumbnailed during lectures that were light on note-taking. If I had no writing or thumbnailing to do, I doodled alternate takes on panels, or worked out difficult-to-draw stuff. Then, I'd use my evenings or my off-days to pencil and ink the pages. Uni didn't feel like an obstacle to the webcomic at all. If anything, lectures were the best environment for thumbnailing, I find thumbnailing at home much more difficult!

I kept a weekly update schedule pretty easily and built up a buffer, which was handy during exams. I could've probably done more frequent updates, but there was no reason to.

One thing that I think was particularly helpful for me was that I took notes with a pencil on paper and very rarely brought a laptop with me (and when I did, I kept it in my bag until I really needed it). It's a lot easier to draw when you've got paper in front of you and a pencil in your hand. Many of my notes from that time have thumbnails or other sketches on the left and class notes on the right.
eishiya

Postby Dave Hornet » January 24th, 2019, 11:23 am

Alright, makes sense
Dave Hornet

Postby mitchellbravo » January 26th, 2019, 11:17 am

College was actually the height of my productivity, but I had a major where workload out of class time wasn't a huge stressor/timesink. I was able to update weekly or sometimes more than once per week. I had ups and downs throughout my undergrad years, but I had a lot more energy and mental space for creativity back then- just the nature of being away at school doing a major I enjoyed.

Are you already in college, or about to graduate high school? Have you already decided on a major?
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby Kyulein » January 26th, 2019, 3:27 pm

I started my comic while in college and I often feel like I was more productive at the time. I wasn't studying art, which helped me focus on the comic as my creative outlet, rather than distract me with lots of other graded projects.

Here comes the part, that I wouldn't necessarily recommend to anybody:
I drew quite a few pages during lectures. My trusty Bamboo on the lap, painting away while the teacher talked. From an outside perspective this is probably extremely disrespectful towards the teacher and not conducive to studying/learning as a whole, but I listen better if I'm concentrating on something else. It's something I noticed with audiobooks prior to college. I'd readily interrupt painting to take notes, though. I did all of that digitally anyway, so switching between programs wasn't that difficult. I got a lot done during the days on campus. And as I said it often feels like I was more productive during that time because of that. But yeah, I wouldn't recommend that approach out of hand, because everybody is different and drawing comics during economics lectures is probably frowned upon for all the right reasons... (So, don't do that, unless you're 300% certain it won't distract you from your studies and even then think about it twice.)
Kyulein

Postby Dave Hornet » January 26th, 2019, 4:46 pm

Hmmmmm---I'm about to graduate High School and I just wanted to know what college is like and my mum's constantly telling me that I'll have to drop drawing when I begin college
With the looks of it, I might have to
Dave Hornet

Postby Kyulein » February 1st, 2019, 10:19 am

My grandparents were always rather adamant about me having to drop drawing when entering the "adult world".... I'm a couple of years into the adult world and while I had to dial it back at some points I never stopped drawing. If it's a passion you'll be drawn back to it pretty quickly.

Your mother is right in that you may need to prioritise differently, that is important to learn. No matter which field you hope to enter in your future. But I doubt stopping completely is the way to go long-term. Even if you are determined to follow her advise and "quit" drawing, it will come back eventually. It starts with a doodle on your study notes and only grows back from there :)
Kyulein

Postby Bliss » February 1st, 2019, 1:16 pm

Dave Hornet wrote:Hmmmmm---I'm about to graduate High School and I just wanted to know what college is like and my mum's constantly telling me that I'll have to drop drawing when I begin college

First off it's your life, not your mother's. No offence to your mother, but she's giving you an outdated 1980s version of how she thinks the world works. You should only go to college if YOU truly want to, to pursue a career you know you're going to work your ass off in. I implore you to not fall into the student debt "death" trap where you leave college and are still stuck paying off loans. Never stop drawing at all, under any circumstances, and you should pursue comics fully. You're going to run into a lot of people who are going to suggest you take the route that doesn't fulfill you. You're SO young, if you focus the majority of your energy into creating comics, getting them published, comic-cons, etc. then you'll be in a great position in a few years! But like I said, you will need to work your ass off, no short-cuts if this is what you truly want.
Bliss

Postby StanleyComics » February 1st, 2019, 5:24 pm

I recently started work as a full-time animator at a studio, while also having university courses I attend. It's very difficult, but it's all a matter of not burning out and managing your time in a way that you can accomplish both school work and your own projects.
You may ask "Wow, should I take it that you've succeeded with that, since you're giving me this advice?"
And the answer to that question is WHO LET YOU BACK IN MY HOUSE!!!??
StanleyComics

Postby redandblack64 » February 1st, 2019, 8:32 pm

Dave Hornet wrote:Hmmmmm---I'm about to graduate High School and I just wanted to know what college is like and my mum's constantly telling me that I'll have to drop drawing when I begin college

Yeah... no. This could turn into a rant, but I'll say this. Your mom thinks that art is worthless and is simply a waste of time. It's a society wide problem where most people seem to think that certain skills are worthless and not worth paying for, simply because they aren't practical. I'm guessing at this, but your mom is probably trying to get you into a field that you aren't passionate about, just one that has lots of money in it. I would tell her that sure, there's money in whatever it is you major in, but it's a losing battle for one simple reason; you're competing against people who do this for fun. People who work on projects outside of work hours, trying to solve a problem not for a paycheck, but because they simply enjoy what it is they are doing.

This video explains it, and it can be applied to any skilled field. Show that video to your mom, and keep drawing. No one dictates what you do with your life, it's up to you. So long as you have free time, you'll have time to draw, and you will. I'm in school and work part time and still have time to draw and paint\.
redandblack64

Postby Bliss » February 1st, 2019, 8:49 pm

redandblack64 wrote:

Yeah... no. This could turn into a rant, but I'll say this. Your mom thinks that art is worthless and is simply a waste of time. It's a society wide problem where most people seem to think that certain skills are worthless and not worth paying for, simply because they aren't practical. I'm guessing at this, but your mom is probably trying to get you into a field that you aren't passionate about, just one that has lots of money in it. I would tell her that sure, there's money in whatever it is you major in, but it's a losing battle for one simple reason; you're competing against people who do this for fun. People who work on projects outside of work hours, trying to solve a problem not for a paycheck, but because they simply enjoy what it is they are doing.

This video explains it, and it can be applied to any skilled field. Show that video to your mom, and keep drawing. No one dictates what you do with your life, it's up to you. So long as you have free time, you'll have time to draw, and you will. I'm in school and work part time and still have time to draw and paint\.

You hit it right on the nail, I couldn't agree more.
Bliss

Postby mitchellbravo » February 1st, 2019, 10:22 pm

I'll counter (spouse is sleeping so I'm not watching the vid, pardon if I miss out on its content)-

Art got me through a lot of high school and definitely through college. I used it as a hobby in the sense that I was passionate about it but knew better than to try to make it my career. Obviously this is different for people who pursue art to make a living, but I knew that for me I wanted it as a means of expression- not something I had to do in order to get by. I went to college for another subject I was interested in; during my second semester, I changed majors when I found something that fit me better. All the while I kept drawing. Now, I have started a career in an entirely different field than the one I went to school with. My art has stayed with me throughout high school, college, a retail job, and graduate school, and now finally the career I hope to stay in.

It is exceptionally difficult to make a living off of your art. Neither I nor anyone else in this thread can tell you whether you're cut out to be able to do it. Other people who've gone to school for art (and there are many on thsi board, but you can also google for people's blogs and experiences) may be able to give you a better picture about what that life is like. For me, I knew the minute art was something I had to do because someone else told me to do it, was the minute I stopped enjoying it and my creativity would halt. Are you someone who loves drawing for the sake of drawing, and will be able to complete art assignments in order to get a degree, then later pay your rent and bills? Or are you someone for whom drawing is an escape where you rule the roost and get to decide what you're drawing, when, where, etc?

I love my non-art career. I love drawing. But those are (for the most part) separate circles on the Venn diagram of my life. If art is important to you, you will find time to fit it into your life, even if you are in college and even if adults in your life are telling you otherwise. You do not need to worry about not having time for it. It's a matter of living a balanced and fulfilled life. Don't write off college because you're afraid you won't be able to draw anymore, and don't write off drawing because you want to go to school. Select a major in a field that is of interest to you. Follow the trail of what fulfills you and you will end up exactly where you are supposed to be, and I'm sure one way or the other you will find art in your life.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby eishiya » February 1st, 2019, 10:35 pm

mitchellbravo wrote:I love my non-art career. I love drawing. But those are (for the most part) separate circles on the Venn diagram of my life. If art is important to you, you will find time to fit it into your life, even if you are in college and even if adults in your life are telling you otherwise. You do not need to worry about not having time for it. It's a matter of living a balanced and fulfilled life. Don't write off college because you're afraid you won't be able to draw anymore, and don't write off drawing because you want to go to school. Select a major in a field that is of interest to you. Follow the trail of what fulfills you and you will end up exactly where you are supposed to be, and I'm sure one way or the other you will find art in your life.

This this this!

You can have art in your life without turning it into your work (if anything, turning it into work is a quick way to kill your passion for it), and if you find a good job, you'll likely have time left for it. It's harder to find well-paying work that doesn't suck up all your time these days, but art seems to find its way even out of those artists who work multiple shite jobs.
Also, as I and multiple others in this thread mentioned, college tends to leave plenty of time for art! Some majors are more intense than others (e.g. law, chemistry, medicine, and, ironically, art) but overall it's a lot like highschool but with even more downtime. And if you choose a field you enjoy, you'll probably have even more free time because you'll have an easier time with it. It's only really when you get a job that finding time for art becomes a real problem, but that would be a problem regardless of your field of work. Working artists struggle to find time for personal art too P
eishiya

Postby Dave Hornet » February 3rd, 2019, 5:16 am

Thank you all a lot, I've definitely learnt a lot of things, thanks
Dave Hornet

Postby Gibson Twist » February 4th, 2019, 9:17 am

Take a year off between high school and college if at all possible. Get a job or something, step back from studying for a while. That may not seem relevant to the topic, but it is.

Also, while you'll never have to stop drawing, be it for college or job or what have you, it's likely you won't be able to keep up with a regular comic production schedule while you're studying. And you shouldn't, there's a lot for you to experience in the next few years and you should experience it rather than worrying about getting a page of your webcomic done. Comics will be there later, whenever you want them, but those experiences probably won't.
Gibson Twist

Next

Return to Life Issues