The optimistic thread

A board designated for discussion of personal issues.
Forum rules
Due to the often sensitive nature of the discussions occurring in Life Issues, we ask that you be particularly considerate and respectful toward posters here. Violation of this request will be considered a violation of the rules.

Re: The optimistic thread

Postby kayotics » March 10th, 2018, 11:13 pm

Congrats on your engagement and your (hopefully) new job!
kayotics

Postby Oly-RRR » March 13th, 2018, 12:35 pm

Congrats on everything, Mitchell! Go you! :mrgreen:
You can't compare shooting a stag with lasers to putting on women's clothing!!! - Liz Carr on Ouch!
You know you're overweight when your stab-vest starts riding up and looking a bit like a crop-top... - Alfie Moore
Oly-RRR

Postby kayotics » March 31st, 2018, 11:33 am

I got engaged! I'm very excited!
kayotics

Postby eishiya » March 31st, 2018, 11:37 am

kayotics wrote:I got engaged! I'm very excited!

Congrats! I hope everything goes well!

I solved a problem with rendering in my game that had been bothering me for mooonnnnths. Everything is so smooth now, aaaa <3 No more pixel jitter.
eishiya

Postby mitchellbravo » March 31st, 2018, 12:39 pm

Yay!!!!!!
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby Oly-RRR » April 3rd, 2018, 11:19 am

Congrats!! :mrgreen:
You can't compare shooting a stag with lasers to putting on women's clothing!!! - Liz Carr on Ouch!
You know you're overweight when your stab-vest starts riding up and looking a bit like a crop-top... - Alfie Moore
Oly-RRR

Postby kayotics » April 3rd, 2018, 6:13 pm

Thank you, everyone!
kayotics

Postby Quillpen » April 3rd, 2018, 9:53 pm

I get called a lot of names. People don’t like me at my school, and sometimes it really hurts. But one person, who I originally despised, turned out to be this amazing, wonderful, caring person. We talk all the time during class, pair in group projects, and we work really well together. She’s liked by a lot more people and has more important things to do, but she still takes the time to talk to me. Being noticed, appreciated... it feels really good. I am noticed sometimes, but 90% for the wrong reasons. Knowing that I have someone like this is comforting and makes me feel a lot less self conscious. Shoutout to anybody who might’ve gone through the same thing. Also another shoutout to the people who look the exact opposite of their personality I feel you.

Moral of my rambling story: Not everybody’s bad. Just give ‘me a chance.
Quillpen

Postby Soft Dorito » April 8th, 2018, 12:22 am

I think I made a new friend and reconnected with an older one over the last week. ^_^
I'm trying. :)
Molly-sama (here from 09) - If anyone was waiting on my comic just know its deletion was entirely by accident. : | It's here, but it will be back on SJ soon.
Sketchbook
Soft Dorito

Postby ashtree-house » May 10th, 2018, 1:41 pm

Congrats everyone on engagements! I have been dropping hints like crazy to my brain dead boyfriend hehe
ashtree-house

Postby mitchellbravo » May 11th, 2018, 4:55 pm

I've had a rough time with my new class, but after about a month and a half of working with them, things are starting to fall into place- I get them, they get me, we cooperate better than we did, they get my jokes and they get when I'm serious....
Today was our last day of standardized testing which they had never taken before. I had a lot of kids who opted out this week, but today I gave a little pep-talk to my kids who were taking it about how proud I was of them for how hard they worked all week, and how brave they were to take their first standardized test, and that the test doesn't tell anyone what kind of person you are or what you're worth, it just tells whether you learned and/or we taught the things some people in some office somewhere decided your grade needs to know. It felt like they were really listening to me and seeing the smiles on their faces was really heartwarming, especially when several of them started raising their hands to share about how it wasn't as bad as they expected it to be, that they even *liked* parts of it, etc. I'm not really "pro" standardized testing but I get why it is done, and it just made me happy to hear that for almost the whole class the experience was neutral-to-positive.

I really enjoy working with this age group and I'm just so glad I've started to connect to this particular group of kids considering how crazy the beginning of the year was (before I had them) and how many other teachers came and went for them this year. Things are still challenging but I'll take challenging and fulfilling over easy and feeling meaningless. I wasn't expecting to ever get to this point with them and I'm really glad it's starting to coalesce.

But now I'm loopy with appreciation and have to stop myself before I start sending effervescently and unnervingly positive emails to parents :lol:
mitchellbravo

Postby Oly-RRR » May 12th, 2018, 9:35 pm

mitchellbravo wrote:I've had a rough time with my new class, but after about a month and a half of working with them, things are starting to fall into place- I get them, they get me, we cooperate better than we did, they get my jokes and they get when I'm serious....

Hearing about your positive teaching experiences fills me with joy - I both get to see it from a different perspective and I'm just glad that more kids get to have an adult like you in their lives. I know it's a cheesy internet phrase but this gives me hope. :D
Oly-RRR

Postby mitchellbravo » May 13th, 2018, 2:03 pm

Oly-RRR wrote:
mitchellbravo wrote:I've had a rough time with my new class, but after about a month and a half of working with them, things are starting to fall into place- I get them, they get me, we cooperate better than we did, they get my jokes and they get when I'm serious....

Hearing about your positive teaching experiences fills me with joy - I both get to see it from a different perspective and I'm just glad that more kids get to have an adult like you in their lives. I know it's a cheesy internet phrase but this gives me hope. :D

:D :D :D I'm glad to be able to share the fleeting positivity!!!! Seriously I wasn't expecting to ever get to this point with this group... I feel like if I can make it this time I can make it anytime. Whether that's true remains to be seen but it gives me hope...
mitchellbravo

Postby Soft Dorito » May 17th, 2018, 2:31 pm

So I just got a new job last week and turns out tooling around with SJ templates and the HTML there is helping me. Their site pages aren't too far off. XD Thanks, SmackJeeves!
I'm trying. :)
Molly-sama (here from 09) - If anyone was waiting on my comic just know its deletion was entirely by accident. : | It's here, but it will be back on SJ soon.
Sketchbook
Soft Dorito

Postby Sonic-ock » May 27th, 2018, 1:54 pm

My incompetent boss finally got fired :D
ImageImageImageImage
Sonic-ock

PreviousNext

Return to Life Issues