The optimistic thread

A board designated for discussion of personal issues.
Forum rules
Due to the often sensitive nature of the discussions occurring in Life Issues, we ask that you be particularly considerate and respectful toward posters here. Violation of this request will be considered a violation of the rules.

Re: The optimistic thread

Postby UrbanMysticDee » May 27th, 2018, 11:45 pm

Sonic-ock wrote:My incompetent boss finally got fired :D

You're living the dream. I wish my incompetent boss gets fired.
Image Image
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby Lutztoons » May 28th, 2018, 4:49 am

So a few months ago, I finally sucked it up and went to the doc to see if he could do anything about my severe anxiety disorders that have been plaguing me since I was a kid. Once I graduated college and went out into the world, they were constantly getting worse and nothing was helping. The doctor put me on 20mg generic Paxil to start off with and I was skeptical at first because I'd heard a lot of horror stories about its negative side effects. But once the adjustment period wore off, I noticed something.

It was actually helping.

And I thought it wouldn't even do anything. All those paranoid thoughts I'd been having cleared up. I'm no longer crying constantly, brooding about my past, getting myself so worked up that I puke, or having panic attacks over whether or not I'm saying the wrong thing. My work output increased from maybe one page every two months to four or more pages a month, simply because I'm not worrying myself sick for weird reasons. And I'm actually enjoying working on my comic again, what is this?? Yeah, I still have some bad days, but they're easier to manage and I'm actually looking forward to the future instead of cowering in fear of it.
Lutztoons

Postby Oly-RRR » May 28th, 2018, 5:40 pm

Lutztoons wrote:And I'm actually enjoying working on my comic again, what is this?? Yeah, I still have some bad days, but they're easier to manage and I'm actually looking forward to the future instead of cowering in fear of it.

This is so good to hear! :mrgreen: And aaah, the voluntary page output is probably how they should measure mental state in comic artists. :lol:

I was on Paxil a few years ago, it wasn't very helpful for me at the time but at least it was far from the worst thing I've been prescribed when it comes to side effects (actually I don't remember many side effects from it but I think I might have had it together with Risperidone which is like a nuclear bomb of side effects in my experience). So yeah, I'm really glad it's working for you, finding the right medication can be a really frustrating process.
You can't compare shooting a stag with lasers to putting on women's clothing!!! - Liz Carr on Ouch!
You know you're overweight when your stab-vest starts riding up and looking a bit like a crop-top... - Alfie Moore
Oly-RRR

Postby Lutztoons » May 30th, 2018, 2:42 am

Oly-RRR wrote:
Lutztoons wrote:And I'm actually enjoying working on my comic again, what is this?? Yeah, I still have some bad days, but they're easier to manage and I'm actually looking forward to the future instead of cowering in fear of it.

This is so good to hear! :mrgreen: And aaah, the voluntary page output is probably how they should measure mental state in comic artists. :lol:

I was on Paxil a few years ago, it wasn't very helpful for me at the time but at least it was far from the worst thing I've been prescribed when it comes to side effects (actually I don't remember many side effects from it but I think I might have had it together with Risperidone which is like a nuclear bomb of side effects in my experience). So yeah, I'm really glad it's working for you, finding the right medication can be a really frustrating process.

Thank you! :mrgreen: I was in side effect hell for the first month or so during the adjustment period, but other than that it's been helpful. It's not perfect, but at the very least my moods have been better. It DOES give me some weird, vivid dreams, though, and from what I understand, that side effect never goes away. I'm not complaining about that, though!
Lutztoons

Postby Oly-RRR » May 30th, 2018, 8:53 pm

Lutztoons wrote:It DOES give me some weird, vivid dreams, though, and from what I understand, that side effect never goes away. I'm not complaining about that, though!

I had the most vivid and unfortunately REALLY DISTURBING dreams on Melaxen/Melatonin - my sleep cycle has been messed up for as long as I can remember (and especially after my teenage years) so every doctor I met in the last few years jumped onto fixing that until I could get it across that trying to shape it into the canon "up at 6 AM, sleep at 11 PM" schedule causes more trouble than letting it go the way it goes. I don't mind weird/vivid dreams either but sometimes my brain just goes out of its way to spook me. Generally if it's a nightmare that makes me reluctant to go to bed the next night I start thinking it miiiiight be too much.

Pff, at this rate we'll need a medication review thread like psych forums have. :lol:
You can't compare shooting a stag with lasers to putting on women's clothing!!! - Liz Carr on Ouch!
You know you're overweight when your stab-vest starts riding up and looking a bit like a crop-top... - Alfie Moore
Oly-RRR

Postby Lutztoons » May 30th, 2018, 9:20 pm

Oly-RRR wrote:
Lutztoons wrote:It DOES give me some weird, vivid dreams, though, and from what I understand, that side effect never goes away. I'm not complaining about that, though!

I had the most vivid and unfortunately REALLY DISTURBING dreams on Melaxen/Melatonin - my sleep cycle has been messed up for as long as I can remember (and especially after my teenage years) so every doctor I met in the last few years jumped onto fixing that until I could get it across that trying to shape it into the canon "up at 6 AM, sleep at 11 PM" schedule causes more trouble than letting it go the way it goes. I don't mind weird/vivid dreams either but sometimes my brain just goes out of its way to spook me. Generally if it's a nightmare that makes me reluctant to go to bed the next night I start thinking it miiiiight be too much.

Pff, at this rate we'll need a medication review thread like psych forums have. :lol:

Oh no, I'm sorry that happened! Having terrible dreams makes you dread going to sleep, which makes your whole life worse. I had some godawful dreams the first week of Paxil, which made me question how good these meds were going to be but at least it cleared up. And I think we share similar sleep schedules--I related to what you said so hard. The 6am wake-11pm sleep thing just does not work out for me, either. My schedule is more like 1:30pm-7:00am. It's kind of absurd, but it works out for me because I get the most work done in the middle of the night. I MIGHT BE A VAMPIAH! :twisted:
Lutztoons

Postby UrbanMysticDee » May 30th, 2018, 9:23 pm

I did it. I've won. I got a real job. A full time job with a desk. No more lifting things, no more boxes, no more waking up at 5 AM, no more customers.

I'm still having trouble believing this is real. It's only taken 8 years of absolute hell and destroying my body to get to where my parents were fresh out of high school.

I'll be able to actually pay off debt now, not just climb deeper in. I can actually have a life now. I can have a future now. I didn't think this was possible.
Image Image
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby JoKeR » May 31st, 2018, 7:33 am

UrbanMysticDee wrote:I did it. I've won. I got a real job. A full time job with a desk. No more lifting things, no more boxes, no more waking up at 5 AM, no more customers.

I'm still having trouble believing this is real. It's only taken 8 years of absolute hell and destroying my body to get to where my parents were fresh out of high school.

I'll be able to actually pay off debt now, not just climb deeper in. I can actually have a life now. I can have a future now. I didn't think this was possible.

That's great news. Congrats!!

Lutztoons wrote: I get the most work done in the middle of the night. I MIGHT BE A VAMPIAH! :twisted:

We all are ...the night is the most peaceful time of the "day". I was called night owl since I can remember. waking up and going to bed early was a nightmare for me.

-=: jokercologne.deviantart twitter.com/JoKeRcologne joker-cologne.tumblr :=-

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
JoKeR

Postby Oly-RRR » May 31st, 2018, 9:57 pm

UrbanMysticDee wrote: No more lifting things, no more boxes, no more waking up at 5 AM, no more customers.

Congrats!! I hope this lasts. :mrgreen:

Lutztoons wrote:My schedule is more like 1:30pm-7:00am. It's kind of absurd, but it works out for me because I get the most work done in the middle of the night.

Saaaame! Occasionally I shift to going to sleep really early and waking up really early (still not sure how it happens but usually it's caused by spending over 24 hours without any sleep so not exactly good times) but that never lasts long and I'm way less productive then. That and I really like sunsets and sunrises but am not really big on that part of the day when everyone is outside being loud. 8-)
Oly-RRR

Postby mitchellbravo » June 3rd, 2018, 6:26 pm

Logging in and seeing so many new posts and new threads. Maybe I shouldn't be so excited since it's just 2 pages of posts in my week's absence but still :lol:

Looking forward to posting here again soon and getting to draw in my new apartment.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby Oly-RRR » June 3rd, 2018, 11:45 pm

mitchellbravo wrote:Looking forward to posting here again soon and getting to draw in my new apartment.

Yus yus yus :mrgreen: I sense an excuse to dust off that Photos of your art workplace thread!!
Oly-RRR

Postby kayotics » June 7th, 2018, 10:50 pm

Just feeling grateful that this forum is here, honestly. Sure, it's slow, and probably past it's heyday, but I've gotten a lot of good resources and a nice place to just talk about webcomics.
kayotics

Postby Oly-RRR » June 9th, 2018, 11:36 pm

I learned something new today (thanks again eishiya!!) and batching is working out well so far (I coloured two pages in about the same time I used to spend on one page) and I actually have a tiny buffer now. The buffer won't last but what a neat new feeling! :mrgreen:

kayotics wrote:Just feeling grateful that this forum is here, honestly.

This too! :D
Oly-RRR

Postby eishiya » June 15th, 2018, 11:59 am

I finally swept the floor and window sill in the bathroom today. It's minor, but it's nice to not be surrounded by dead insects, even if only for a little while. I sweep the rest of my space more often, not sure what it is about the bathroom that makes me ignore it. Maybe it's just because it's the most distant part, so by the time I'd get to it, I'm too tired.
eishiya

Postby Oly-RRR » June 15th, 2018, 6:39 pm

eishiya wrote:it's nice to not be surrounded by dead insects

Imagine one of those epic battlefield paintings, only with insects and in a bathroom... :mrgreen: But yay clean bathroom!

My small bit of optimism: my Internet connection issues on Switch seem to be sorted (for now at least) and I'm very much enjoying Splatoon and Arms multiplayer. They became a part of my routine over the last year and it's nice to have that again. :D
Oly-RRR

PreviousNext

Return to Life Issues