What would YOU do?

A board designated for discussion of personal issues.
Forum rules
Due to the often sensitive nature of the discussions occurring in Life Issues, we ask that you be particularly considerate and respectful toward posters here. Violation of this request will be considered a violation of the rules.

What would YOU do?

Postby mosama » November 7th, 2010, 5:09 pm

Ok so lets say you pitched this comic to a pretty well known webcomic publisher and they where all 'OH cool i like it! just make like 30-40 pages so theres enough' and then you kept making all of the pages and now your at like page 25 YET THE PUBLISHER MANAGER PERSON HASNT TALKED TO YOU OR ANYONE FROM THE INTERNET IN LIKE 5 MONTHS. Would you take your comic elsewhere? Would you still have hopes and keep your dream alive that one day he will come back and you'll get what you where originally hoping for? idk what would you do and or suggest?
and mind you this was like a really special project/comic for you.
Image
Image
User avatar
mosama
 
Posts: 1544
Joined: January 24th, 2009, 9:13 pm

Re: What would YOU do?

Postby xkrazydog » November 7th, 2010, 6:48 pm

I'm going to assume you tried SLG as your publisher of choice? Or is it some other publisher? not many publish webcomics nowadays.

Well there's nothing wrong in contacting them with your progress and you should also be absolutely sure that they are interested, or whether 30-40 pages is the standard for them to PEND the idea. Though i do believe most will accept 5-10 pages as a pitch if they're sure they want to see your work. But there's nothing wrong with pitching your comic to multiple publishers at once. If a publisher asks who else you pitched it to, dont take it as offense, they're just curious to know the competition.

Also realize that the publishing process takes a long time *on top of the actual period you spend drawing the comic out.* there's no rule that you cant prod them to make them remember who you are and whether they are still interested. keep you head up and pitch it to whoeever you can, and even if it isnt published, put it up as a webcomic. you'll build a fanbase and atleast you'll have an audience.
Image
User avatar
xkrazydog
 
Posts: 1960
Joined: August 4th, 2007, 10:33 pm
Location: somewhere here. somewhere there.

Re: What would YOU do?

Postby mosama » November 7th, 2010, 11:30 pm

Oh idk why i said publisher i didnt actually mean someone who publishes a webcomic onto paper and junk- i meant like they publish it onto the web. And although i was really interested in SLG growing up, there officially the LAST company/publisher/THING i would ever submit to. I think there going bankrupt and they havent really published anything of interest in AGES there sooo 10 years ago lol

I'm always giving the mod who liked my pitch updates on my comic and junk- like i email him every new page i draw as soon as im done making it but he hasnt really replied to me in months so idk whats happening. He said his internet went out but he claimed he got it back so idk whats happening- i dont think hes talking to ANYONE not just me. =/ idk if its even worth it anymore.
Image
Image
User avatar
mosama
 
Posts: 1544
Joined: January 24th, 2009, 9:13 pm

Re: What would YOU do?

Postby xkrazydog » November 7th, 2010, 11:43 pm

Perhaps you're contacting them too much and they're being assholes about it and not responding hoping you'd go away?
You get these kind of people sometimes.
This wouldnt happen to be snafu would it? Because if i recall, the owner of that site is a grade-a elitist from what i heard.
Image
User avatar
xkrazydog
 
Posts: 1960
Joined: August 4th, 2007, 10:33 pm
Location: somewhere here. somewhere there.

Re: What would YOU do?

Postby mosama » November 8th, 2010, 12:20 am

Well theres a reason why i didnt wanna namedrop the site or who it was- i dont wanna come off as someone whos just sort of talking shit about them and junk.
But i can say ive talked to dave, the owner of that site, and from the conversation we had he came off as a very nice person i dont see him as the elitist type idk
Image
Image
User avatar
mosama
 
Posts: 1544
Joined: January 24th, 2009, 9:13 pm

Re: What would YOU do?

Postby xkrazydog » November 8th, 2010, 12:30 am

I could be wrong, i heard second-hand of the owner and how he runs the site but it is a bit more exclusive. Keep your chin up and just keep drawing for yourself though, if your story is as precious as you say, you should really bring it into existance for yourself first and foremost, published/snafu/otherwise.
You may not get a huge reputation just because its not on snafu but putting it anywhere on the web is better than nothing so long as people can see it. Baby steps and then show it to them for your leap of faith. If they see its successful and organized, they may be more inclined to pick it up.
Image
User avatar
xkrazydog
 
Posts: 1960
Joined: August 4th, 2007, 10:33 pm
Location: somewhere here. somewhere there.

Re: What would YOU do?

Postby kyupol » November 8th, 2010, 9:31 am

mosama wrote:Ok so lets say you pitched this comic to a pretty well known webcomic publisher and they where all 'OH cool i like it! just make like 30-40 pages so theres enough' and then you kept making all of the pages and now your at like page 25 YET THE PUBLISHER MANAGER PERSON HASNT TALKED TO YOU OR ANYONE FROM THE INTERNET IN LIKE 5 MONTHS. Would you take your comic elsewhere? Would you still have hopes and keep your dream alive that one day he will come back and you'll get what you where originally hoping for? idk what would you do and or suggest?
and mind you this was like a really special project/comic for you.


I would carry it on myself. Who needs a publisher when you can self-publish and make a name for yourself?

MAG-ISA is at the top 20 in thewebcomiclist.com and at drunkduck.com (as of nov 8, 2010) (out of 16,000+ comics). Not to brag. I hate bragging and I hate sounding like an arrogant prick even though I state a fact. But that is a demonstration of how high your comic rank will get if you can put out good stuff.

Dont sweat it, man.
Image Image
User avatar
kyupol
 
Posts: 91
Joined: December 14th, 2005, 10:27 am

Re: What would YOU do?

Postby mosama » November 8th, 2010, 2:17 pm

Thanks so much for the advice i definitely needed to hear that and i think it helped me thanks :)
Image
Image
User avatar
mosama
 
Posts: 1544
Joined: January 24th, 2009, 9:13 pm

Re: What would YOU do?

Postby mosama » March 1st, 2011, 6:58 pm

It's march.
And I'm still suffering from this bullshit.
This is just ridiculous. RIDICULOUS I SAY!

I really just don't know where to take my shit anymore. Like I made this huge comic and now i have nowhere to go with it. I know i could always go to smackjeeves and i could always do the whole free hosting site thing but I really wanted to do something different with this when i set out to do it and i don't feel like settling for anything less then what i had in mind because if i did i would feel like i failed. My comic was supposed to go up a few weeks back- i made the banner and everything and dave was like 'yup we're totally getting your comic up now!' but he hasnt talked to me in like 2 weeks because he got sick. I know ppl get sick and that sucks and everything but shit- ive been waiting forever and i feel ALONE.
Image
Image
User avatar
mosama
 
Posts: 1544
Joined: January 24th, 2009, 9:13 pm

Re: What would YOU do?

Postby MacSimon » March 1st, 2011, 7:30 pm

mosama wrote:It's march.
And I'm still suffering from this bullshit.
This is just ridiculous. RIDICULOUS I SAY!

I really just don't know where to take my shit anymore. Like I made this huge comic and now i have nowhere to go with it. I know i could always go to smackjeeves and i could always do the whole free hosting site thing but I really wanted to do something different with this when i set out to do it and i don't feel like settling for anything less then what i had in mind because if i did i would feel like i failed. My comic was supposed to go up a few weeks back- i made the banner and everything and dave was like 'yup we're totally getting your comic up now!' but he hasnt talked to me in like 2 weeks because he got sick. I know ppl get sick and that sucks and everything but shit- ive been waiting forever and i feel ALONE.


Mose, i know that waiting for a little thing after you've done something so big is annoying, but keep calm, send him an e-mail to see when will he be able to upload your comic, and if he answers something like 'next week', keep calm and wait for it, or distract yourself with something for a while.
If he confirmed that your comic was going up, it probably will. : )
User avatar
MacSimon
 
Posts: 4481
Joined: February 26th, 2008, 5:47 pm
Location: A planet in space.

Re: What would YOU do?

Postby mosama » March 1st, 2011, 9:47 pm

Awwww macsimon u always know exactly what to do! I did what u said and now everythings working out and i feel dumb ~3~
Image
Image
User avatar
mosama
 
Posts: 1544
Joined: January 24th, 2009, 9:13 pm

Re: What would YOU do?

Postby mosama » April 6th, 2011, 11:08 pm

mosama wrote:Awwww macsimon u always know exactly what to do! I did what u said and now everythings working out and i feel dumb ~3~


YOU'RE THE STUPIDEST PERSON IN EXISTENCE- ITS AN ENTIRE MONTH LATER AND YOU'VE GOTTEN NOWHERE. NO MEANS NO.
You write allot of jokes about rape- YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT. When people are constantly ignoring you and avoiding you it means STFU AND GO AWAY! Its been nearly an ENTIRE YEAR. AN ENTIRE YEAR. How long are you going to wait before TAKING A FUCKING HINT? Snafu does not need you and you do not need snafu. Well you sort of do need them but oh well STFU and find another path to get where you want to get. Asshole. I hate you. AND YOU SMELL LIKE SHIT!


-sorry people, i gotta flame myself every now and then to keep sane.
Image
Image
User avatar
mosama
 
Posts: 1544
Joined: January 24th, 2009, 9:13 pm

Re: What would YOU do?

Postby H0lyhandgrenade » April 7th, 2011, 9:36 am

mosama wrote:
mosama wrote:Awwww macsimon u always know exactly what to do! I did what u said and now everythings working out and i feel dumb ~3~


YOU'RE THE STUPIDEST PERSON IN EXISTENCE- ITS AN ENTIRE MONTH LATER AND YOU'VE GOTTEN NOWHERE. NO MEANS NO.
You write allot of jokes about rape- YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT. When people are constantly ignoring you and avoiding you it means STFU AND GO AWAY! Its been nearly an ENTIRE YEAR. AN ENTIRE YEAR. How long are you going to wait before TAKING A FUCKING HINT? Snafu does not need you and you do not need snafu. Well you sort of do need them but oh well STFU and find another path to get where you want to get. Asshole. I hate you. AND YOU SMELL LIKE SHIT!


-sorry people, i gotta flame myself every now and then to keep sane.


You don't need Snafu, man )8 I'm sure you've heard it plenty before but those guys aren't so popular with everyone. I wouldn't wanna be squeezed in next to Bleedman meself. Snafu doesnt mean success D: You can do it without those guys! Success comes from BELIEVING IN YOURSELF. ... ... And working really really really damn hard. AND BELIEVING! NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER!

Just keep going, man.
Image
Image
User avatar
H0lyhandgrenade
 
Posts: 1547
Joined: July 30th, 2006, 12:15 pm
Location: Sunny sunny England.

Re: What would YOU do?

Postby mosama » April 7th, 2011, 11:17 am

Thanks h0ly i really appreciate it. Last night i sort of had an epiphany and realized i deserve better then this and if not me then my art deserves better then this. I can't keep repressing my art and waiting not knowing whats going to happen next. And it's true snafu does not = success. I think up until this point I was just to scared or insecure to do this on my own but at this point I have nothing to loose and I have to try to change something because if I leave things as is any longer I will go fucking mad. Or... mad-er.
Image
Image
User avatar
mosama
 
Posts: 1544
Joined: January 24th, 2009, 9:13 pm


Return to Life Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests