What to say in job interview besides this?

A board designated for discussion of personal issues.
Forum rules
Due to the often sensitive nature of the discussions occurring in Life Issues, we ask that you be particularly considerate and respectful toward posters here. Violation of this request will be considered a violation of the rules.

What to say in job interview besides this?

Postby redandblack64 » February 5th, 2011, 5:57 pm

I talked to a friend about two things I would say in an interview for a menial job if I were being 'myself' (as he previously suggested). If I were asked if the job would help achieve any real goal, I would say "NO". If I were asked why I applied in the first place, I would say "work here until I make $2,200, quit, and waste it on stuff I really want, but don't need". Of course, this isn't going to get me hired, as my friend told me "you have to at least pretend to give a shit." So, what should I say instead of this?
redandblack64

Re: What to say in job interview besides this?

Postby eishiya » February 5th, 2011, 7:28 pm

I had no idea that menial jobs gave interviews, wow.

Job-givers tend to like reliability and commitment. If you tell them that you're only going to work for X time or until you make Y amount of money, they won't want you. They like people willing to learn, so if the job requires some skill, tell them that you're taking the job to further your experience with that skill. Most companies don't like being thought of as stepping stones, so tell them that you're bettering yourself, not just getting resume padding.
eishiya

Postby gun21 » February 5th, 2011, 9:11 pm

redandblack64 wrote:. If I were asked why I applied in the first place, I would say "work here until I make $2,200, quit, and waste it on stuff I really want, but don't need". Of course, this isn't going to get me hired, as my friend told me "you have to at least pretend to give a shit." So, what should I say instead of this?

If I were you, I'd keep the job. Once you're in the real world, constant gold mining is necessary.
gun21

Postby blankd » February 5th, 2011, 9:13 pm

Why would you volunteer to let go of a job after reaching X amount?
SuperBiasedMan wrote:Just because you've proven something blankd doesn't mean I have to believe it.

Image Image
blankd

Postby robybang » February 5th, 2011, 9:17 pm

gun21 wrote:
redandblack64 wrote:. If I were asked why I applied in the first place, I would say "work here until I make $2,200, quit, and waste it on stuff I really want, but don't need". Of course, this isn't going to get me hired, as my friend told me "you have to at least pretend to give a shit." So, what should I say instead of this?

If I were you, I'd keep the job. Once you're in the real world, constant gold mining is necessary.

But gold mining is so much work, and once you get it, it has no practical applications for armor or weapons at all. The Creepers would run right through you...

Oh, you're not talking about Minecraft.
three wrote:
The_Hankerchief wrote:AHNOLD TSUNDERENEGGER

"AHL BE BAHCK... BUT NAHT BECAUSE I LIEK YOU OR ANYTHING."
robybang

Postby joamettegil » February 5th, 2011, 10:32 pm

It sucks, but even if it's a menial job you don't care about, you have to seem to care. Try to emphasize that you are a committed person, a hard worker, and happy to do your part in helping the team (even if your role for the team is cleaning the toilet). If it's something tedious like sorting files or something, mention your penchant for keeping things organized and your goal oriented attitude.

Basically, say whatever bullshit you can think of to seem like you love x job because, yes, McDonald's is crazy enough to believe that there's someone out there with a burning passion to ask people if they want fries with that for a living and that's the pink unicorn they're looking for. This is also assuming that there are no opportunities for work you would find fulfilling around you. If there are, try to go for one of those. You'll be happier in the long-run.
joamettegil

Postby corruption » February 6th, 2011, 4:02 am

"Listen, I'm not one of those people who can just sit around doing nothing all day. I believe in earning your way, that's just the way I was raised. My goal, if it can be called a goal, is to not be a lazy lay about."

Bull like that is great.
We are all corrupt in our own ways
corruption

Postby redandblack64 » February 7th, 2011, 3:36 pm

Interesting answers. You're all more or less saying the same thing my friend said. Also, the job is obviously just for a little extra cash so I can buy a few things before I move and start college. When I'm in college, I'll have to find and keep another job so that I can take care of myself.
redandblack64

Postby Swift Red » February 8th, 2011, 2:55 pm

redandblack64 wrote:Interesting answers. You're all more or less saying the same thing my friend said. Also, the job is obviously just for a little extra cash so I can buy a few things before I move and start college. When I'm in college, I'll have to find and keep another job so that I can take care of myself.

Why not do both? Find a job that you'll be able to keep during college? State during that interview that eventually you'll have to cut back on hours to fit your class schedule in.
Swift Red

Postby Vitotamito » February 8th, 2011, 3:06 pm

At the end of the interview ALWAYS have questions for them, even if it's as simple as asking them their background.
Sonic-ock wrote:Prepare yourself for the gay adventures of Kuro the dragonwolf and Shiro the wolfdragon.

Vitotamito

Postby Izkata » February 9th, 2011, 7:48 am

Vitotamito wrote:At the end of the interview ALWAYS have questions for them, even if it's as simple as asking them their background.

But be careful - you don't want to give the impression that you don't know what you're applying for.
Izkata

Postby Vitotamito » February 10th, 2011, 2:02 am

Izkata wrote:
Vitotamito wrote:At the end of the interview ALWAYS have questions for them, even if it's as simple as asking them their background.

But be careful - you don't want to give the impression that you don't know what you're applying for.

Well, I meant sort of like a "Where'd you go to school / How'd you get to the position you're in currently" sort of questions.
Sonic-ock wrote:Prepare yourself for the gay adventures of Kuro the dragonwolf and Shiro the wolfdragon.

Vitotamito

Postby SuperBiasedMan » February 10th, 2011, 7:09 am

Vitotamito wrote:
Izkata wrote:

Well, I meant sort of like a "Where'd you go to school / How'd you get to the position you're in currently" sort of questions.

Yes, avoid questions more like
"What is this job again?"
Snuffan and on a separate occasion, my dad wrote:"don´t be a girls who needs a man, be the girl a man need"

SuperBiasedMan

Postby Sonic-ock » February 10th, 2011, 7:42 am

Don't ask if there are if there are any minorities working there, and defs don't ask what the specific number of minorities is. Avoid referring to "The Jews" too much, or at least try to get the manager to bring them up first. Find out what they're sexual harassment policies are like. Ask about drug testing for sure. Avoid flat out asking your potential employer if he'd like to spark up a j.
ImageImageImageImage
Sonic-ock

Postby SuperBiasedMan » February 10th, 2011, 7:58 am

Sonic-ock wrote:Avoid flat out asking your potential employer if he'd like to spark up a j.

Do it subtley.
Snuffan and on a separate occasion, my dad wrote:"don´t be a girls who needs a man, be the girl a man need"

SuperBiasedMan

Next

Return to Life Issues