What to say in job interview besides this?

A board designated for discussion of personal issues.
Forum rules
Due to the often sensitive nature of the discussions occurring in Life Issues, we ask that you be particularly considerate and respectful toward posters here. Violation of this request will be considered a violation of the rules.

Re: What to say in job interview besides this?

Postby corruption » February 11th, 2011, 2:26 am

Always know a bit about the job in advance, and ths you can cater the questions you have at the end for the best results.

you may want to ask about any requirements for safety, or presentation that you will have to deal with.

Also, do NOT go in wearing a torn t-shirt and jeans, but in clothing appropiate for the job interview. (Now, if you are a woman apply to be a stripper, a torn t-shirt and jeans would be appropiate.)

If you are going to be going after a customer service job, be careful of tattoos and piercings. If you have them, try to town them down. Small things through the piercings would be much better then large chains hanging all over your body. (Come to think of it,if you plan on working with machinery, such chains would be a bad idea as well.)
We are all corrupt in our own ways
corruption

Postby Izkata » February 12th, 2011, 11:30 am

Sonic-ock wrote:Ask about drug testing for sure.

And be prepared for the response, "Would that be a problem for you?"

Bad phrasing can kill even the best question...
Izkata

Postby mosama » February 12th, 2011, 11:49 am

If you're exployer/interviewer seems layed back enough and cool enough- and you're willing to do sexual favors in exchange for the job, LET IT BE KNOWN.
A little bit of head can go a long way.
mosama

Postby Sonic-ock » February 12th, 2011, 3:34 pm

Izkata wrote:
Sonic-ock wrote:Ask about drug testing for sure.

And be prepared for the response, "Would that be a problem for you?"

Bad phrasing can kill even the best question...

Yeah, avoid saying "Brah" when you ask, and try not to bring up your favorite bands, what you listen to will be a tell tale sign of how much of a stoner you are.
ImageImageImageImage
Sonic-ock

Postby redandblack64 » February 23rd, 2011, 4:28 pm

blankd wrote:Why would you volunteer to let go of a job after reaching X amount?

Why would I keep it? There's no reason to stay if it doesn't help achieve any real goal in any way, and I have nothing to lose by ditching them.

Anyways, it looks like I'll have lie in terms of motivation and put on a show to get hired. Time to sharpen my acting and lying skills, and get even better at using/tricking people.

Oh, and I'll have to look for another after starting school, as I'll be moving into the dorms, some 25 miles away from the job.
redandblack64

Postby kyupol » April 15th, 2011, 8:26 pm

act like you know about the company you are applying for.

They like speaking to those who have done their homework.

Turn the interview as much as possible into a situation in where you switch the tables around. Get the interviewer to talk about himself/herself instead of the other way around. Inject some humor here and there. Point is, whatever happens DO NOT be nervous.
Image Image
kyupol

Postby trenton_dawn » April 16th, 2011, 4:13 am

kyupol wrote:act like you know about the company you are applying for.

They like speaking to those who have done their homework.

Turn the interview as much as possible into a situation in where you switch the tables around. Get the interviewer to talk about himself/herself instead of the other way around. Inject some humor here and there. Point is, whatever happens DO NOT be nervous.

This thread is kind of old, but maybe some people who are preparing for an interview might get some use out of it (myself being included in that number). Anyway, ideally you shouldn't have to act like you know stuff. If you do the homework, as you noted, then you should actually know. Pretending like you know more than you actually do is an extremely, extremely bad step. But don't underplay your skills either, with some kind of exaggerated humility or anything.

Asking questions is good insofar as it shows you're engaged in the interview and serious about it. No need to go overboard, but keep your mind active and ask things that you're really curious about. Trying to approach the interview with some kind of mind games isn't really a great way to do it. Unless you're some kind of exceptionally charming person, chances are you're not nearly as slick as you think and it just might backfire. Plus, the idea is to communicate your qualifications for the job, so just stick to that.

Being nervous is all right, as long as it doesn't affect your thinking.
Gaia, a fantasy comic
Ghost, an online novel — Sketchbook thread — deviantArt
Need assistance with anything? Feel free to PM me.
Seven Rain wrote:Trenton speaks words of wisdom.
trenton_dawn

Previous

Return to Life Issues