Your Funeral

A board designated for discussion of personal issues.
Forum rules
Due to the often sensitive nature of the discussions occurring in Life Issues, we ask that you be particularly considerate and respectful toward posters here. Violation of this request will be considered a violation of the rules.

Your Funeral

Postby MacSimon » March 22nd, 2011, 1:51 pm

I know this might not get as enough attention as it would have on the General Discussion forum, but i believe this to be a serious discussion of everyone's part in life.

I read the story "Pre-Need" from Box Brown lately. And today, i had to go to a funeral, of my godfather's father.
When i came home from the funeral, after seeing so many people respond in different ways (SPECIALLY my godfather), i got to think.

How do you think your funeral should be?

...I also ask everyone to be serious about their opinions. Say what you mean and not really something to just make people laugh. I love those comments, but this is not really the place. : )
MacSimon

Re: Your Funeral

Postby Reigan » March 22nd, 2011, 2:00 pm

Well, I don't want anyone to cry. I probably (hopefully) lived a good life (assuming I've died from old age) and there's no need to be sad. The only tears that should be shed are those of joy because they remember all of the memories we shared.

I can't really think of anything else...
Reigan

Location: The land or fairy tales, gum drops, and all that good stuff.

Postby eishiya » March 22nd, 2011, 2:33 pm

If I am still in good health (or the opposite, if I have some outstanding disorder), I want my body to be donated to science/medicine.
The remnants, or all of me, if I am not useful after death, should be either cremated or buried in an eco-cemetery (whichever is cheaper at the time, transportation and other fees included). I want my cremation/burial to be attended only by those doing the cremation/burial, I do not want family/friends to take time out of their day just to see my useless remains.

I do not want them to visit me after I am dead, or to feel like they should be sad or cry. I want them to carry on.
eishiya

Postby PerfectSephiroth » March 22nd, 2011, 2:39 pm

I want an epic funeral. Lots of rock 'n' roll, lots of laughs, lots of win.

I also want to be put on a boat and have the boat set on fire and kicked down a river. Boromir-style. Except with fire.
tezzle wrote:I'm just wondering how someone who looks so young can at the same time have a manly Bruce Campbell chin. This kid's going places.
PerfectSephiroth

Postby robybang » March 22nd, 2011, 2:44 pm

I'm leaning towards being cremated. I don't know what I'd do about the ashes, whether I want them spread over some special place or kept in an urn, so I'd let the executor of my will decide. Part of the reason is an irrational fear of still being conscious after death and being able to feel everything happen to my body without the ability to react. Of course I realize the fear is crazy and that being cremated would hurt as well, but not compared to the horror of slowly decomposing and being eaten alive by insects and mold. As for a funeral, I don't know. If I get married in the future, I'd just let my spouse take care of that. If not, I'd let my parents. I have no particular location that I feel I "belong" to, so I could care less about whether my funeral is in a church, a funeral home, or a house.
three wrote:
The_Hankerchief wrote:AHNOLD TSUNDERENEGGER

"AHL BE BAHCK... BUT NAHT BECAUSE I LIEK YOU OR ANYTHING."
robybang

Postby xkrazydog » March 22nd, 2011, 2:53 pm

Booze must be present. Everyone who attends will drink to my memory.
xkrazydog

Postby UrbanMysticDee » March 22nd, 2011, 3:00 pm

Four days after this body has been evacuated, during which the proper readings should be conducted, it should be placed in a simple box, preferably one I have manufactured myself so I know no one will be wasting money, and interred somewhere quiet, with trees and things. A simple stone should be placed on top, with similar stipulations as the box, so people know not to dig there. Caramelldansen should be played for 24 hours, because it is the happiest song I have ever heard and I never tire of listening to it, to lighten the mood. Nothing else need be done.

Not sure when this will happen, so I'm not sure who will be there. I can't afford dying right now, so it will have to wait.

It would be best to have a system in place to make sure these things are done. Maybe something with a safe that won't release the payment for the lawyer conducting these matters (all they care about is money, so it's easy to bribe them) until all the above conditions have been met.
Image Image
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby tezzle » March 22nd, 2011, 3:18 pm

I'll be dead, they can mourn me however they want.

...I hope it involves ponies.
I'm Tooch now.
tezzle

Postby Gibson Twist » March 22nd, 2011, 4:25 pm

All the musicians I've known over the years take the stage and play for hours while everyone gets drunk and tells stories. Then, karaoke.
Gibson Twist

Postby Butterscotch » March 22nd, 2011, 4:27 pm

I want to be buried. There's this really old graveyard not far from my grandparent's house that I'd like to be buried in, except it's so old I don't think it's used much anymore. Some of the graves date back to the 1700's and it's kind of overgrown and has a more natural feel than newer graveyards. New graveyards are too neat and organized. :/
If you for some reason I have to be cremated, I'd want my ashes scattered in the ocean, not kept in an urn on the mantle. That's creepy.

I wouldn't want people to cry too much and to try and focus on the good times. Just have a nice little party.
Butterscotch

Postby tezzle » March 22nd, 2011, 4:40 pm

Gibson Twist wrote:All the musicians I've known over the years take the stage and play for hours while everyone gets drunk and tells stories. Then, karaoke.

*learns an instrument so I can play at your funeral* ...A comb with wax-paper over it counts, right?
I'm Tooch now.
tezzle

Postby Vitotamito » March 22nd, 2011, 4:42 pm

I want a Viking Funeral, but I'm sure my parents would be able to pull it off.

So I'll have to settle with my single stipulation of "Keep my body out a damn church."

If there is a shred of religious bullshit at my funeral I'm coming back, and we're gonna do it all over again. From the top.
Sonic-ock wrote:Prepare yourself for the gay adventures of Kuro the dragonwolf and Shiro the wolfdragon.

Vitotamito

Postby Gibson Twist » March 22nd, 2011, 4:56 pm

tezzle wrote:
Gibson Twist wrote:All the musicians I've known over the years take the stage and play for hours while everyone gets drunk and tells stories. Then, karaoke.

*learns an instrument so I can play at your funeral* ...A comb with wax-paper over it counts, right?

You? You need to learn to play the jug. You got mad jug skills in you, I can tell.
Gibson Twist

Postby tezzle » March 22nd, 2011, 5:23 pm

Gibson Twist wrote:You? You need to learn to play the jug. You got mad jug skills in you, I can tell.

Killer! Now I need somebody to back me up on the spoons.
I'm Tooch now.
tezzle

Postby DSW » March 22nd, 2011, 5:45 pm

They should have the casket closed, because my body will be badly burned after I try to jump 4 pools filled with crab sharks on a motorcycle powered by fire crashes and explodes.
DSW wrote:
blankd wrote:
DSW wrote:I hate all the yaoi on here, I don't hate gays, I hate bad writing and bad art. and every yaoi has universally bad writing and female characters who all look the same playing male leads.

DSW I didn't know you read every yaoi on SJ.

DSW

Next

Return to Life Issues