Has this ever happened to you?

A board designated for discussion of personal issues.
Forum rules
Due to the often sensitive nature of the discussions occurring in Life Issues, we ask that you be particularly considerate and respectful toward posters here. Violation of this request will be considered a violation of the rules.

Has this ever happened to you?

Postby OnePaleChick » April 7th, 2011, 11:08 pm

I'm wondering if there is something wrong with me. Up until about two years ago, I used to *love* animals. If I saw an animal, I had to pet/cuddle it. I especially loved cats and I would go crazy if I even saw a photo of one.

Then, about two years ago, I started to REALLY dislike animals, and now I hate practically all of them. I mean, REALLY hate. They annoy the piss out of me, I don't find them cute, and I will never get a pet of my own. I don't hate them enough to hurt them or anything crazy like that, I just don't like them near me and I don't find them cute anymore. Instead, when I see them I think about how dirty they are and how it would cost a lot of money to take care of one. I'm thinking this happened because my mother decided to adopt 6 dogs (who AREN'T potty trained and love to bark at EVERYTHING) and 2 cats. I was fine when we had 1 cat and 1 dog, but I'm pretty sure my mother is the reason I hate animals.

I guess I bring this topic up because I didn't realize how bad it's gotten until a friend pointed it out. I seriously used to see a kitten and *HAVE* to pick it up and pet it. Today, someone brought over a kitten and I just wanted it to go away. I'm wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else, and if so, did you go back to loving animals?
OnePaleChick

Re: Has this ever happened to you?

Postby xkrazydog » April 7th, 2011, 11:29 pm

Yeah its not uncommon. People have the same reaction to babies, They think they're adorable and cute and perfect but when they have one themselves, as much as they love the little rascals, the price to have them is quite steep.

Mine: Dogs. I use to love dogs, but after my sister got one i really dont like em anymore. or atleast, not small yappy ones which mine is.
xkrazydog

Postby Gibson Twist » April 7th, 2011, 11:31 pm

We have wild bunnies in our back yard, and when I go out to have a cigarette, there's one that doesn't run away when the light goes on, and I stare at it the whole time and just think how awesome it would be to just have bunnies everywhere. Also, you are inhuman if you don't want to snuzzle a little kitten fuzzle brom brom brom!

Yes, I think your mother is probably to blame. Six dogs is too many dogs. Anything gets old if you have too much of it...anything.

Babies, on the other hand, are putrid selfish bastard animals who should be kept in a box in the closet where I don't have to look at or smell them. Fuck babies.
Gibson Twist

Postby Antitime » April 7th, 2011, 11:36 pm

I'm glad someone else hates potato sacks of lard baby bullshit as much as I do.
On the other hand, I love animals. But I totally understand hating them after what your mother puts you through. Also, I would watch out that she doesn't start animal hoarding. That's a really dangerous and expensive problem, and unhealthy for the animals. I hope you are able to get your love of animals back though, the right pet really makes a great companion.
The_Hankerchief wrote:Why choose when you can have 'em all? That's right, I'm talking about a Smack Jeeves Orgy!
Antitime

Postby OnePaleChick » April 7th, 2011, 11:39 pm

Well I'm glad to know I'm not alone. I feel bad because I used to love my cat to pieces, but now I just wish he would eff off.
OnePaleChick

Postby ThatGuyNash » April 8th, 2011, 12:46 pm

I don't think there's anything wrong with you, I believe it's actually mature of you to think of pets in terms of your health and your financial capabilities. You don't want to end up not able to take care of your pets or especially yourself. Yes, the addition of eight animals into your life probably did have a substantial effect on how you think of them, and it doesn't take many instances of a cat pissing on your pillow or throwing up in your shoes for you to really start hating them. Living with that many dogs will make you feel dirty, unless you're constantly cleaning your house. You probably feel like they've taken over and you don't have any room to breathe. If you want to start loving animals again you should take a break from them for a while if that's at all possible. You're overloaded, you just need some "animal-free time".
ThatGuyNash

Postby KLSeunnapha » April 8th, 2011, 12:55 pm

I have 1 cat 2 dogs. Love them very much, still live with mom though and she has 3 cats. Then because my siblings keep moving to places that don't allow pets or more than 1 pet their cats and dog are living here as well. (that gives 3 more cats, 1 more dog) So now I have 7 cats and 3 dogs (and these dogs are big, 60, 80 and 120, and none are overweight, it's just pure size and muscle) in the house that I live in, and it drives me crazy.

My one dog does not get along with my brother's dog, and because my brother's dog is poorly trained my dog gets stressed every time he does something he's not supposed to, to the point where he just will not stop barking, even though he was almost completely silent before my brother's dog came here.

The cats are by far more annoying than the dog. The dogs are like... little angels compared to the cats and they are far from innocent. There are 5 males and 2 females, and even though they are all fixed the boys piss EVERYWHERE. I try to keep the doors to my rooms closed but they find ways to get in and as soon as they do it's like a pissing competition on who can flood the room the most. This does not bother me for the fact that it's pee and disgusting, it bothers me because of the fact that it destroys so much of my stuff, of they things they have destroyed of mine this includes, various computer parts (power supplies, motherboards, keyboards, various cards to name a few) my tablet (cintq 21... very expensive... cost me 4000$ with the shipping and all back when I got it) a large amount of drawings and sketch books I couldn't possibly count how many, my novel writing either handwritten in dozens of notebooks or print outs, art supplies, tvs, bed, dressers, desks, shelves pretty much any type of furniture I buy mostly because everything is made out of cheep ass particleboard which soaks piss up faster than I can find it.

Aside from killing the cats I have tried everything to get them to stop doing this. I always keep my rooms clean, keep the doors closed to keep them out, spray them with a spray bottle every time I catch them going near something of mine, and sweep the room with a blue light every night to make sure that I've cleaned it all to get rid of the smell so they aren't inclined to go again, a litter box on every floor that get cleaned every day (not scooping out the stuff, I mean completely dumped and then bleached) but they still find ways to get at and piss all over my stuff.

Then if the pissing doesn't drive me insane enough, the boys will not stop fighting one another. The cats are fine with the dogs, they will play with them and cuddle them, sleep on their back and lick their faces. But have one male cat look at another it doesn't like, and they start yowling and screaming and clawing and biting and my dog starts barking cause the cats are fighting, then he'll get in the middle of it to break it up and get hurt and then I have to put disinfectant on the new puncture wounds in his ears and face only to do it again later in half an hour when the cats start fighting again and he dives in to break them up.

The most annoying thing about this is that only 1 of these cats are mine, the rest are my mom's or my siblings. So I can't really do anything about them. Logically I would move out, it seems the only thing to do to keep me sane, but because of my medical condition I need to have someone at home to help me around the house, so if I don't have a family member to help, I would need to get a nurse, which I would completely loath. Not to mention it's a pain in the ass to find a reasonable priced place with wheelchair accessibility that will allow 2 dogs over 120 pounds and 1 cat as pets.
KLSeunnapha

Postby ejcoletta » April 8th, 2011, 4:17 pm

Eh. I don't understand what compels people to keep taking in animals they can't take care of. If you aren't financially stable to take care of yourself, please don't collect pets--or have babies.
ejcoletta

Postby MacSimon » April 10th, 2011, 12:09 am

I don't ever see myself with pets again.
Unless i end up alone in an apartment or something, i don't see myself getting pets. The bare idea of being responsable of a LIVING THING scares the hell outta me.
MacSimon

Postby Gibson Twist » April 10th, 2011, 2:47 pm

You should get yourself a pet bear that'll eat those dogs and then you can ride it. Rape self-defense class? No thanks, I have a fucking bear!
Gibson Twist

Postby Charil » April 10th, 2011, 4:41 pm

Yep, just gonna go with what everyone else said. That is way too many pets for one household, especially if they're not trained like you said. Pets and kids take responsibility, which an unfortunately staggering amount of people don't seem to understand. The idea of raising something is a lot different than actually raising it. I used to think I'd be fine with having kids once I was old enough. Then I actually had to deal with them as an adult and now I'm seriously considering just getting my tubes tied and adopting on the off-chance I ever decide to have kids.

So yeah, the realization that having a pet or a kid isn't all sunshine and rainbows can really ruin things like that for you :( Kind of a sad thing. Sounds like your mom really bit off more than she can chew with all those dogs, which is unfortunate for everybody involved.

I've never really had a situation like that with pets, though, so I can't say if you'll maybe go back to liking animals once you get away from your mother's pets. My mother is a huge cat lover (which I suppose made me a huge cat lover), and up until very recently owned three cats (one, actually my own cat that I couldn't keep with me, passed away), but they're all so well-trained and cared for that it was never a burden to take care of them. Really I think it depends on the responsibility of the owner, and how they handle the animals. It kind of sounds like you've just been overloaded by so many misbehaving animals that it's tainted you :(

I think I just repeated the same thing over and over again fml. Haha.
Charil

Postby mossi-mo » April 15th, 2011, 4:40 pm

I love animals, but I can't stand misbehaved or small ones, so I somewhat understand. I also don't like children who aren't related to me. It's a perfectly normal feeling.

I used to work in a kennel, and I was surrounded by animals all day. There were just some days when I didn't want to look at a dog, but I'm mostly over it because I haven't had a pet around for a while.
mossi-mo

Postby PervyJrocker » April 15th, 2011, 4:48 pm

I think is 'cuz of your mom... Too many dogs ARE TOO MANY DOGS
I hate babies, I always hated them, but, when my little sister was born, I started to hate them more, because, when she was born, my parents got divorced, I blame her for everything, the pregnanci made my mother go fat, and then my dad didn't find her atractive enough and started cheating on her... Now I have a shitty life style, not money at all, and then my mom wants me to be a good person? HELL NO, I CANT BE ALL HAPPY AND GAY WITH THE FUCKING LIFE YOU AND MY FATHER GAVE ME, THANKS, GO DIE IN A HOLE. *imsosorryforberantinghedontkillmeplz*
PervyJrocker

Return to Life Issues