Why you believe your genre of comics is the best?

Discuss specific genres here. If your post fits into one of the subforums, post it there.

Re: Why you believe your genre of comics is the best?

Postby MadTarnsman » December 21st, 2012, 11:50 pm

.....because I said so.......
MadTarnsman

Postby InnocentGuillotine » December 22nd, 2012, 10:27 am

I mostly write fantasy/soft sci-fi because I enjoy writing out the biology of species that don't exist to ridiculously detailed levels and I find worldbuilding fun (although Glorantha's shown me just how shoddily-constructed my religions are). And I do mean ridiculously; I actually have in-depth notes on how at least three different species reproduce and develop throughout their lives, even if we only see one stage of that life.

I like stuff with strong characters as well; a good plot generally can't make up for cardboard cut-outs for characters, while good characterization can make even the most trite plot at least tolerable. Plus, strong characters make for stronger audience reactions.
InnocentGuillotine

Postby DeadFace94 » January 4th, 2013, 9:42 am

Gotta say that I think superheroes comics are the best. I think that it's mainly because there so many things that you can do with the genre while also keeping it basic and still making it incredibly fun. That and the genre has an incredibly long and interesting history behind it that makes it all the more amazing! :D
DeadFace94

Postby xX-DragonFairy-Xx » February 8th, 2013, 6:26 pm

Hm... It's hard to say specifically what kind of comics I'm into because it sometimes feels like I read everything.

I suppose I tend to be drawn to things that remind me of childrens books. Comics that are cleanly and uniquely stylized tend to catch my eye. There's one on SJ called Curio that captures it pretty well, and I feel Hemlock does it well too.

The most common comment I get on my comic in particular is that it feels like a children's book, I take a lot of influences from things I read as a child, like Madeline, Tintin, where the wild things are, narnia, Alice in wonderland, Dr. Seuss and such. But my style in particular also has a LOT of anime influence due to the unshakable phase i went through for a while.

I can't say that child-fantasy genre is best, I just like the nostalgic feel of it, and its something I can connect with well. Children think in a very different way, and it's cool to see someone really capture that raw essence kids carry with them, when your thoughts don't line up with your words or when you express things in a much more raw and emotional way.
xX-DragonFairy-Xx

Postby InsaneArtisticNerd » February 17th, 2013, 5:56 am

I don't believe that there's a best genre. I do believe that each genre can posses the best comics.
InsaneArtisticNerd

Postby Hatter98 » June 12th, 2013, 8:49 am

In my opinion, cartoon-comics are the best. So much drama in this world, we all need a good laugh! XD
Hatter98

Postby afterthedream » May 12th, 2014, 5:12 pm

"Best" is quite broad, but I like science fiction as a genre since it often provides the most intelligent writing. The best SciFi offers us not only a way to imagine the future but also a way to examine our present society from another perspective. For an early example, consider the 1931 novel Black No More, in which scientists have discovered a way to turn black people into white people. It was a creative way to get people of the time to think about what Race really meant in America. A more recent and famous example is Soylent Green which examined the consequences of today's rampant abuse of the environment and planetary resources coupled with overpopulation. My own comic goes into topics like government-sanctioned human experimentation programs, something so disturbing that most people simply don't want to think about it. Put it into a "fictional" context, however, and suddenly is becomes approachable. Then you also have SciFi's ability to embody or visualize abstract philosophical ideas, like The Matrix did with Buddhism and Gnosticism. Some SciFi is pure fun fantasy, but the better class of SciFi, in my opinion, offers an intellectual depth which isn't often seen elsewhere in a pop medium.
afterthedream

Postby aquakitty101 » September 25th, 2014, 12:08 pm

manga supernatural that are funny or have a good plot
aquakitty101

Postby bunnyrabbitsaga » May 18th, 2017, 3:25 pm

Horror has always been a favorite of mine, as long as it has a plot.
bunnyrabbitsaga

Postby artofjoe » May 18th, 2017, 5:20 pm

:/ ummm, fantasy epic stick man, HELLO!?
artofjoe

Postby capybaraqueen » May 20th, 2017, 5:52 pm

As for style, American comic style (at least from what I've seen) doesn't really appeal to me. There's too much black and white. Well, mostly too much black I think. A lot of American hero type comic books have a lot of moody pages like that I think. :| I wouldn't say I'm not a fan of black and white though as One Piece is one of my favorite comics and it doesn't use a lot of tone at all.

That being said, I'm a sucker for shoujo manga which is :twisted: tOnE hEL :twisted: L. I also really appreciate webcomics that use color.

As for genre, I think for writing, I tend to lean towards fantasy because
1. it's an imaginary world so you can justify anything you make up in that world
2. I favor it over sci-fi because I don't really like drawing machines :lol:

But that's just me. Like a lot of people said, a comic of any genre can be awesome ^_^
capybaraqueen

Postby Jen_Linman » August 2nd, 2017, 4:57 pm

Stylistically, I like western styles, especially that Disney-esque ilk. It's a comfy style to draw/look at. Exaggerating enough, while keeping a knowledge of anatomy.

As for genre, or rather sub-genre, I like twisted fairy tales. While fantasy stories can fall into boring, tropey slumps, twisted fairy tales tend to avoid that. They have charming characters, witty senses of humor, yet enough bite to keep things interesting.
Jen_Linman

Previous

Return to Genre-Specific Discussion