Writing method. Are you a plotter, a pantster or something..

Discuss specific genres here. If your post fits into one of the subforums, post it there.

Re: Writing method. Are you a plotter, a pantster or something..

Postby Fukairi » January 22nd, 2016, 2:24 pm

Something inbetween

I usually plot before I start drawing, I have the rough outline of the story, divide it into chapters and work out the arch of all chapters ready before I draw. Sometimes I've snippets of dialogue ready too. But once I'm drawing, I start working out some kinks, or I suddenly think of a better way to do a certain scene etc. But the rough outline mainly stays the same, but everything inbetween might go under some drastic changes too.
Fukairi

Postby sevenherestien » January 27th, 2016, 7:47 am

As you start your story, I personally will be a plotter, making general plots and how it will develops, well just like making synopsies

But when you write it then you be the other one the paintsetter, you can add some spices and certain actions, dialogues to make it better and dynamics
The Violet Sun: Medieval Fantasy
sevenherestien

Postby mountainya » January 27th, 2016, 4:25 pm

During the span of writing Citysweet (and just writing/drawing things in general) I've been flying by the seat of my pants. I had a general idea of where everything was going, I just liked having the freedom to change around what I wanted to do or say. If I tried to write in outlines and scripts beforehand it really stunted my writing and my desire to write.
Recently, though, I had a huge epiphany over how I wanted the comic to go, and I've rewritten huge chunks of the story. I think I had a major writer's block for months without knowing?...
Now it's more like assembling a puzzle piece by piece: kind of just write snippets of dialogue, personality traits, scenes I want to include, and connecting them into chapters and arcs.
So I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm a pantser, but I'm becoming more of a plotter.
mountainya

Re: Writing method. Are you a plotter, a pantster or somethi

Postby akemikae » September 13th, 2016, 4:27 am

Hmmm, I wanna say I sit somewhere in between? I basically plan a bunch of different plot points/scenarios, and then fill in the gaps (so I pantster it...I guess). I do usually write down the dialogue, and that helps me drive the pages along for a while. Though, the pages tend to come to life on their own a lot of the times, and there is quite a bit of adjustments in the dialogue. It works for me so far, and since my comic is a fairly lighthearted comedy/romance, it's fine. I have certain aspects of it that I will cling to , and as long as they are thrown in there in a somewhat timely matter, I will be satisfied I think.
akemikae

Re: Writing method. Are you a plotter, a pantster or somethi

Postby Jen_Linman » August 2nd, 2017, 6:00 pm

I don't have everything super set in stone, but I know how it will end and I write down all sorts of important events so that I don't forget them. Still, I tend to edit my dialogue before I put it to the page. I always find more natural word-choice before I commit it to the page.

I used to be a lot looser, though. A lot! I don't know how I got by with a long form story before notes. :?
Jen_Linman

Previous

Return to Genre-Specific Discussion