How do you think of urban fantasy?

Discuss specific genres here. If your post fits into one of the subforums, post it there.

How do you think of urban fantasy?

Postby crawlation » August 5th, 2018, 11:33 pm

truly i cant sure if i choose right word. what i meant was the fantasy based on a modern city, and it quite creeps. im making this with some action like the manga Hellsing, and i cant sure that would the readers prefer??? truly im doing my best in presentation(like making cuts, perspective or ect) but i dont know it would be work cuz my stuff maybe too typical ....
crawlation

Re: How do you think of urban fantasy?

Postby eishiya » August 5th, 2018, 11:45 pm

Plenty of people like urban fantasy, so you don't need to worry about it being too niche or anything. Whether it's too typical depends on what exactly you're doing with the story, not on its genre. Really though, people will read anything as long as it's well-done. The more you enjoy your story, the easier it will be for readers to also love it.
eishiya

Postby crawlation » August 5th, 2018, 11:47 pm

eishiya wrote:Plenty of people like urban fantasy, so you don't need to worry about it being too niche or anything. Whether it's too typical depends on what exactly you're doing with the story, not on its genre. Really though, people will read anything as long as it's well-done. The more you enjoy your story, the easier it will be for readers to also love it.
oh.... thanks. maybe i should do much thing then being confused..... it would be better right?
crawlation

Postby Hero of Grimland » August 6th, 2018, 2:03 am

I personally do not like Urban Fantasy, but I can definitely say there are TONS of people who LOVE it! a great example would be the Twilight Series, as well as the show Supernatural. The main reason I do not enjoy it as much as others is that it usually involves teenagers which act all edgy and stuff, which just isn't my thing. Not to mention the suspension of disbelief is lacking because the setting is too similar to reality despite having fantastical elements. Yeah, it's not my thing, but once again, there is definitely a fanbase for that, and a huge audience for it!
Hero of Grimland

Postby kytri » August 8th, 2018, 2:20 pm

I've been doing an urban fantasy comic for... eight years now?
I wouldn't say the built in audience for it is huge but there are people who enjoy it. I suspect I cut myself off from a lot of potential readers by not making my comic a paranormal romance, as it seems to be the most popular subgenre. Most of my core readership isn't people who primarily read urban fantasy. It doesn't seem to be a super popular genre in webcomics but in literature I believe it tends to outsell epic fantasy and sword and sorcery fantasy by quite a bit.

To be honest if you want to write in a particular genre just do it? Don't try to shoehorn yourself into a genre you don't want to write just because you think more people will want to read it. You'll write a better story writing something in an unpopular genre that you love than in a popular genre that you don't care about.
kytri

Postby Oly-RRR » August 8th, 2018, 6:26 pm

I think you should tell the story you want to tell and not worry too much about the genre (echoing other people in this thread, yeah). :) It's good to be somewhat aware of it so you can read both stories of the same genre and something very different - you definitely shouldn't shoehorn yourself into one genre when it comes to writing and especially reading.

This said, urban fantasy is one of my favourite genres! But I rarely pick stories BECAUSE they are urban fantasy, usually it's other reasons that make me pick up a comic/novel/show and it often turns out to be urban fantasy as well. For example, I started reading Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London because it's about London cops but it ended up being one of my favourite interpretations of magic EVER and urban fantasy elements are really good there.
You can't compare shooting a stag with lasers to putting on women's clothing!!! - Liz Carr on Ouch!
You know you're overweight when your stab-vest starts riding up and looking a bit like a crop-top... - Alfie Moore
Oly-RRR

Return to Genre-Specific Discussion