Writing method. Are you a plotter, a pantster or something..

Discuss specific genres here. If your post fits into one of the subforums, post it there.

Re: Writing method. Are you a plotter, a pantster or something..

Postby LoveDrunkPunky » September 26th, 2012, 9:00 pm

I feel weird for mentioning this because I haven't yet finished plotting my first comic but this is how I'm doing it. I'm a rough outliner. I believe in telling a well rounded story with plausible foreshadowing that cements the ending and something deeper to the story line then just having events unfold. Also character development and character consistency are something that I like to plot out to make sure that my characters grow along their journey, and I like to think carefully about the best ways to tell the story smoothly and avoid cliches and obvious plot devices but still cram as much detail and explanations as I can that enhance the story. Another thing to consider is pacing. It's much easier to predict pacing with an outline.

Although, I like to have the bare bones down first so I know the course of the story but that doesn't mean I stick to the plot. If an idea just clicks and I'm like YES!!! this should be happening right now, even if it's not in my outline. I'll keep my original and then write out the new part in a separate plot. Then I'll ask myself which really is more beneficial for the story.

One if my story ideas was just going to be a self realisation romance type thing but I changed it into a psychological mind warp of a story by just changing the course of one event. It took me a while to decide to go down that path for sure but I realised that lots of people have romance of that type but the new idea is more orignal and intriguing.

Usually in my first draft of the outline I will write something like 'now she will describe something to do with how she observes other around her live and go about their lives" and then later one I'll come back to that point and really flesh out a scene to match that part in the story. Also, I make sure that I write down all the different back ground scenes I will work on over the course of my comic. So that I can refine these scenes.
LoveDrunkPunky

Postby Spooks » December 22nd, 2013, 9:32 pm

When I first started doing comics and stories I was very much a pantster, but now I lean more towards plotting. I'll write out an outline of all the major events in a comic long before I start, make sure the characters all have their finalized backstories and personalities, have my setting(s) worked out and so on. The outline is cut up roughly into chapters, and then I make outlines of the chapters themselves 2-3 chapters in advance, but I don't have them all done before I start the comic. The chapter outline will include all of the notable events as well as what objectives I have for the chapter (things like "introduce new species" or "explain magic system" or "foreshadow character death.") The actual blow by blow write-out of the chapter doesn't happen until a chapter in advance, and even then, when I go to thumbnail everything, I tend to rewrite large parts of it. Frequently during thumbnailing I'll get new ideas that I want to work in or decide to cut things all together. I thumbnail by scene, which is usual between 5 and 10 pages at a time. (I highly recommend this to anyone who doesn't already do it, as it helps make the page composition and dialogue flow better). I don't sketch in batches, though, because sketching too far in advance tends to result in me completely redrawing the page when I go to ink it...

Dialogue is never set in stone until the page goes up, and I've been known to add or remove major events on the fly. Another thing that I tend to do is write out multiple paths the story can take and then decide on which one I want to be finalized later. (Rended has like 10 possible endings.)

Edit: Oh wow, I didn't realize how old this thread was. Sorry about that!
Spooks

Postby DamnItSammit » December 22nd, 2013, 9:35 pm

I do both, but tend to plot most often (I'm a bit OCD about it). XD
DamnItSammit

Postby cebap » December 30th, 2013, 4:51 pm

I have a plot outline figured out by the time I start, with a few key scenes planned and how the character development might happen. When I start a chapter, I usually will have a few goals in mind for the story and character progression. As long as I hit those goals, I'm okay with it. Other than that, I kind of just fly by the seat of my pants when it comes to dialogue, pacing, and page-to-page progression. Character designs usually aren't finalized until I draw them in the comic, because I find the process of creating the comic more enjoyable that way.
cebap

Postby MasterComic » December 30th, 2013, 4:56 pm

I am 100% a pantser. I think plotting a whole story out before it's written can get boring. I like to be surprised and entertained by my story as much as the audience. ^_^
Cup of Olea is an interactive webcomic. YOU decide what Cliff does!
To play, simply go to the latest page and submit a command! It's easy~
MasterComic

Postby mitchellbravo » December 30th, 2013, 5:05 pm

MasterComic wrote:I am 100% a pantser. I think plotting a whole story out before it's written can get boring. I like to be surprised and entertained by my story as much as the audience. ^_^

A word of caution- this is almost word for word what the creator of Dominic Deegan said. It can lead to some, uh, "interesting" writing decisions.

I mean, it's probably fine if you're doing a comedic gag strip, but not a good idea if you're ever planning serious or even semi-serious drama, you know what I'm sayin?
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby MasterComic » December 30th, 2013, 6:00 pm

mitchellbravo wrote:
MasterComic wrote:I am 100% a pantser. I think plotting a whole story out before it's written can get boring. I like to be surprised and entertained by my story as much as the audience. ^_^

A word of caution- this is almost word for word what the creator of Dominic Deegan said. It can lead to some, uh, "interesting" writing decisions.

I mean, it's probably fine if you're doing a comedic gag strip, but not a good idea if you're ever planning serious or even semi-serious drama, you know what I'm sayin?

I feel ya. But I love making comedy and fun comics, so I'm not too worried.
Cup of Olea is an interactive webcomic. YOU decide what Cliff does!
To play, simply go to the latest page and submit a command! It's easy~
MasterComic

Postby marchen de lune » December 30th, 2013, 8:14 pm

I'm a plotter. Got the story outlined and I script and thumbnail chapters in advance. Some things do change when doing the page work itself but a majority is planned.
yo
marchen de lune

Postby redandblack64 » December 30th, 2013, 9:31 pm

I script and thumbnail by the chapter, with the rest being vaguely planned out, since knowing every last thing that will happen ruins the fun of making it a comic.

That makes me a plotter.
redandblack64

Postby revzet » January 22nd, 2014, 7:00 am

I'm becoming more and more of a plotter haha.
revzet

Postby thexeternal » February 15th, 2014, 2:39 pm

I used to be a pantser, but now I find I'm almost entirely a plotter. I just love, love, love it when small things aaaalll come together at just the right time, and so I try to plan for that. I draft several chapters before I even start drawing, so I know exactly what I'm doing. While I love flying by the seat of my pants, I find that plotting generally makes things go WAY faster, and I find myself hitting the artist/writer's block less often.
thexeternal

Postby dylanmc12 » March 5th, 2014, 4:11 pm

Both, to an extent. I'll have a basic outline (girl meets boy, boy actually likes boys, girl is actually alien from Jupiter, except she's actually a wind monster because Jupiter has no solids on it, meaning that she couldn't be solid.. now, to fill in the gaps) and I'll just make it up as I go on. I might even have fun.
I can't get the Garlfield and Friend's opening out of my head.

Anyone.

Help me.
dylanmc12

Postby SamOwen819 » June 30th, 2014, 3:19 am

I started writing first by online forum role playing, so I'm very comfortable with being a panster. My current in-progress comic is a panster comic. I am slowly but surly discovering the backgrounds of all the characters, and details just come to me as they're needed.

Of course it depends on the kind of thing I'm writing. I have a choose your own adventure thing on the back burner right now that I intend to fully plot out with a script and concept art and everything. When I plot things out, I'm a huge fan of the hero's journey. It helps everything run smoothly and cohesively, even if I deviate from the main skeleton it's a good place to start and get ideas.

I find think-tank style writing to be both fun and effective. It's a type of plotting, but where there's a bunch of people in a room, and one guy writing things on nite cards and taping them up in a wall. Everyone shouts out suggestions, and works together to fix plot holes and come up with clever story devices to make everything work. It's super fun!

Currently though, my pet comic is flying by the seat of it's poor little pants!
SamOwen819

Postby Amoreena » August 10th, 2014, 9:00 pm

For the most part, I am a pantster-style writer, I guess. ^^;
Just like Sam mentioned above, I started getting into writing through online roleplaying, too. I'm used to letting my characters write themselves, but when I started working on my comic, I had to learn a different method.

My friend and artist prefers having things planned out well before she starts to work on them. I had to find my own way of doing a comic script that was both easy for me to write and easy for her to understand and translate into art. I'm still trying to get used to it, but it really does feel nice to have things laid out.
Amoreena

Postby Ex-Agent Ra » August 13th, 2014, 3:21 pm

Im a mix of both I guess =P I´ve planned out most parts of the story but there are still some parts in witch I dont know whats gonna happen and I think is ok because it keeps me thinking about the story, figuring out how to make this or that happen or what motivation I could give to certain character act one way or another and when I finally figure it out its like this big "AHA" moment that is really exciting and keeps me motivated because I wanna put that moment on paper but there are still a lot of pages to go before i get there. Some planing its allways necesary but if you allready have the whole plot figured out before you start working on the first page of the comic the whole process just gets boring.
Ex-Agent Ra

PreviousNext

Return to Genre-Specific Discussion