Writing method. Are you a plotter, a pantster or something..

Discuss specific genres here. If your post fits into one of the subforums, post it there.

Re: Writing method. Are you a plotter, a pantster or something..

Postby gabble » September 5th, 2014, 6:47 pm

I usually have the characters in my head for a long time, then I start thinking of how they interact with people and what their goals are. Then I pants everything else.I don't usually like to plan out an entire plot, because for some reason I find it hard to follow through with, then I veer off course, crash into a tree and have to scrap the last chuck of what I just wrote.
When I normally write I have a general sense of what I want to end up with, but I only really concentrate about what events are just about to happen. So I usually just take it one scene at a time.
gabble

Postby Arren » October 6th, 2014, 8:37 pm

I'm definitely more pantster than ploter. I know what important things are going to happen later in my comic, but the way my characters will get there is a mystery for me. I usually don't plan more than 4-5 pages ahead because I always finish changing what I planned anyway
Arren

Postby aquakitty101 » October 6th, 2014, 11:54 pm

idk? A DREam about the whole story then make a story with 50% of the original stuff
aquakitty101

Postby Guest » March 8th, 2015, 12:07 am

Oh god, pantser.

Definitely pantser.

I wing every page I do, and that's pretty freakin' nerve wrecking when you update almost a page a day. Just thinking about what looks cool and putting it in a page works well sometimes.

Postby CautiousAmber » March 29th, 2015, 5:15 pm

I wrote myself into too many corners early on in high school, so I swore to never do that again. I'm definitely a major plotter! I've been working out the plot of my current story for almost 8 years now. However, I'm NOT good about planning the actual pages and sticking to a set script. While I have a fairly detailed outline of events, when it comes to the little details of how it pans out, I'm 80% winging it.
CautiousAmber

Postby Eagle99 » March 29th, 2015, 6:31 pm

Plotter. I have to plan everything out ahead of time, or else I'm going to go everywhere once I start writing. I plot out each page individually, that way I can switch them around if I need to. Once I start writing, that's when I can get loose, since I already all of the structure to hang the story on in place.

Eagle
(Supposed to be writing right now)
(The Shadow War on Smack Jeeves updates on Wednesdays!)
(Now updating script pages daily! The Shadow War updates on Sunday Nights)
Eagle99

Postby fluffyfluffs » June 30th, 2015, 7:39 pm

I'm a pantster, basically my entire webcomic is just some random experimental mess. I just make a few sketches a day and see where it goes. Lately though I have been trying to plan, I have a lot of arcs in my head and ideas where I want to take my characters and comic. I need to spend some time and write all my thoughts out.
fluffyfluffs

Postby hestia.edwards » June 30th, 2015, 9:11 pm

Well, considering I wrote my entire script, including action and all the dialogue, and had people read the script before I even touch the comic paper, I would say I'm a plotter. I do change some things when I actually draw the comic page, but much of it is very similar to the original script.
hestia.edwards

Postby IsaacCraveFries » June 30th, 2015, 9:24 pm

I would say 60/40 = pantster/plotter. I have a good amount figured out as a whole in general but leave room for small changes if I want to.
IsaacCraveFries

Postby toondoctor » July 5th, 2015, 8:12 am

Total pantser. I have a good idea of where the comic is going but I don't plot out everything. Mot dialogues are added after the drawings are done. I think you have to be very confident in what you do to use this technique. I've been a major plotter in the past. The problem with plotting every thing is that when opportunities to enhance or switch the story arrive, there is little wiggle room. That wiggle room is usually what brings those special moments to a comic.

Right now, I have brief outlines of what will happen for the next 15 strips, but no more. I know where the story has to go and end, but I haven,t plotted that yet. I don't want to. In my outline which was originally 25 strips, I've already added new pages and made a couple major changes which helped flesh out the characters better.

Pantser is where it's at! ;)
toondoctor

Postby Tzefa » July 6th, 2015, 12:15 am

Pantser. I like to think about future plot ideas while at work and toss around a few vague ideas in my head,but as far as immediate things and page layout, I just draw on a blank page till I get a vague idea of what I'm going to move forward and sometimes I get a clever idea of how to move forward but that's as far as it goes for me.
Tzefa

Postby revzet » August 13th, 2015, 4:25 pm

I'm probably in between pantser and plotter. I've been plotting a lot more than I used to, but everything is very flexible.
revzet

Postby IvyDoodle » August 13th, 2015, 5:49 pm

When I first started my comic four years ago I was 100% Pantster!
Now I’m back and have the majority of the storyline plotted out and written up. But when it comes to pages? Well, that pretty much just gets thought up in my head and then thrown on the page until I get fed up. So i’m still at least 80% pantster
IvyDoodle

Postby drvodicka » December 20th, 2015, 1:59 am

I used to plot the entire story scene by scene, frame by frame. But more recently I've been pantsing a lot more. now i write out a script for the whole story and just focus on dialogue and general actions. and then later i go through and draw it out. by then its been quite a while since i first wrote it so i take the opportunity to make edits to varying degrees, and just focus on what feels right. I have notebooks filled with scripts and notes for stories, and mental notes about everything I know I would like to change when a reach the drawing stage of a scene. so i plot story, and then pants the art
drvodicka

Postby Kale470 » January 22nd, 2016, 1:40 am

I normally just do pantsing. For a recent story I wrote a detailed summery for the whole story and started it it is a horror / tragic romance and I like writing it now that I did this. The summary had some loose ends, plotholes, or things that I thought werent working out, but I decided to just span from there. So I am an in between maybe. I will edit it once the story is done.
Kale470

PreviousNext

Return to Genre-Specific Discussion