If I make a BL comic, will I be "stuck" in the genre?

Discuss specific genres here. If your post fits into one of the subforums, post it there.

If I make a BL comic, will I be "stuck" in the genre?

Postby Guest » May 30th, 2013, 3:14 pm

I'm hoping this is the right forum.
As the title says. I've heard about fans getting angry if the artist decides to do something different after making their debut with a certain genre (BL in this case) and even harassing or abandoning them.
I have a BL comic in mind (platonic, not yaoi) and I sort of want to work on this idea first before anything else.
Would it be a bad decision to debut with this comic or should I go with something else for now? I haven't made anything yet so this would be my first impression on readers.

Re: If I make a BL comic, will I be "stuck" in the genre?

Postby avian-reader » May 30th, 2013, 3:19 pm

It's your comics, so you can do whatever you like. You might find it hard to find an audience for your non BL stuff though, because people may see you have one BL comic and assume the rest are like that too. I guess that just means you need to push and advertise it a little harder.
Got questions about autism? Feel free to ask :)
avian-reader

Postby mosama » May 30th, 2013, 3:23 pm

You live by the BL, you die by the BL. There is no escaping it. Naw gurl you'll be fine, do whatever you want! Its the same for anything in the world- if you get popular for making 1 type of thing and then you start making something different people might not accept this new different thing. It's like if mcdonalds started to sell condoms. Thats not what we expect from mcdonalds, most of us atleast, so we would be less inclined to go for it. But I guess a different genre of a comic isn't that dramatic of a change. A real fan would still stay by your side no matter what genre.
mosama

Postby Guest » May 30th, 2013, 4:34 pm

avian-reader wrote:It's your comics, so you can do whatever you like. You might find it hard to find an audience for your non BL stuff though, because people may see you have one BL comic and assume the rest are like that too. I guess that just means you need to push and advertise it a little harder.

Ahhh gosh starting out with BL sounds tough... But I feel like the story wouldn't have the same feel if it's hetero?? HMMMMMM I might go through with it.

mosama wrote:You live by the BL, you die by the BL. There is no escaping it. Naw gurl you'll be fine, do whatever you want! Its the same for anything in the world- if you get popular for making 1 type of thing and then you start making something different people might not accept this new different thing. It's like if mcdonalds started to sell condoms. Thats not what we expect from mcdonalds, most of us atleast, so we would be less inclined to go for it. But I guess a different genre of a comic isn't that dramatic of a change. A real fan would still stay by your side no matter what genre.

MCDONALDS SELLING CONDOMS
WHERE DID YOU GET THIS METAPHOR OMG it's perfect
You speak truth! I miiiight take the chance then.

Thanks for answering my question, guys!! I think it'll take more thought but I'm definitely feeling more confident about going through with it. :D

Postby Guest » May 30th, 2013, 4:34 pm

I think "harassment" from fans may have to do with how popular an artist is (and maybe how hardcore their romance is). If you are just doing a PG or PG-13 love story, then do it. If someone only likes you because you draw two guys kissing, then that is sort of their fault not yours. That is like saying, "I only read superhero comics that show off women's butts and boobies."

Postby three » May 30th, 2013, 5:05 pm

Emimi wrote: If someone only likes you because you draw two guys kissing, then that is sort of their fault not yours.

Precisely this. Write the kind of comic YOU want to write, or else you may find yourself losing interest. In the end, your number one motivational factor is going to be your own immersion in what you're doing.

There's nothing wrong with altering your genre as you go along. Sometimes your characters will develop a life of their own an hijack the story, taking it in a direction you never thought you'd go. The problem with comics vs. prose is that with prose, if you change your mind you can always re-write, whereas with comics, because they take so long to draw, it gives you much more time to reconsider your storyline, even if you've already written the whole thing out.
three

Postby Guest » May 30th, 2013, 5:37 pm

Emimi wrote:I think "harassment" from fans may have to do with how popular an artist is (and maybe how hardcore their romance is). If you are just doing a PG or PG-13 love story, then do it. If someone only likes you because you draw two guys kissing, then that is sort of their fault not yours. That is like saying, "I only read superhero comics that show off women's butts and boobies."

three wrote:Precisely this. Write the kind of comic YOU want to write, or else you may find yourself losing interest. In the end, your number one motivational factor is going to be your own immersion in what you're doing.

There's nothing wrong with altering your genre as you go along. Sometimes your characters will develop a life of their own an hijack the story, taking it in a direction you never thought you'd go. The problem with comics vs. prose is that with prose, if you change your mind you can always re-write, whereas with comics, because they take so long to draw, it gives you much more time to reconsider your storyline, even if you've already written the whole thing out.

Man you guys are fantastic. Yep yep yep I may just make this thing real. I'll probably put something like "*Note: This might be my only BL comic. I'm not sure if I'll make any more in the future since BL isn't my main genre." in the comic's profile page just in case.

Postby Savoto » May 30th, 2013, 5:43 pm

You won't be stuck unless you choose to. Some BL fans are not truly fans of what they read because they only read it since the BL tag is attached, do you want those kind of people as you're fans? If you do then pander to them and never debut a non-BL story but that will leave you feeling unfulfilled sooner or later.

So do what you want to do and your true fans will stick with you through thick and thin. Also BL isn't really a genre exactly, by that I mean don't feel boxed in because you have two male characters who will end up together. You can do sci-fi, adventure, fantasy, or anything else with very little romance and still fit the barest definition of a BL. Thinking outside of the box and not leaning on labels will help you a lot. If you give your fans more they what they expect they'll keep coming back to you.
Savoto

Postby Guest » May 30th, 2013, 6:02 pm

Savoto wrote:You won't be stuck unless you choose to. Some BL fans are not truly fans of what they read because they only read it since the BL tag is attached, do you want those kind of people as you're fans? If you do then pander to them and never debut a non-BL story but that will leave you feeling unfulfilled sooner or later.

So do what you want to do and your true fans will stick with you through thick and thin. Also BL isn't really a genre exactly, by that I mean don't feel boxed in because you have two male characters who will end up together. You can do sci-fi, adventure, fantasy, or anything else with very little romance and still fit the barest definition of a BL. Thinking outside of the box and not leaning on labels will help you a lot. If you give your fans more they what they expect they'll keep coming back to you.

I really like the sound of "true fans." (Though there's no guarantee I'll even get fans ha haha haaaa...) You offer good advice.
It's true, though: BL really isn't a genre but I feel like it sort of has become one here on SJ since it's main demographic focuses on yaoi. There's such a following for BL that it has needed its own definition for its "genre" to separate it from hetero romance (though I could be wrong).

Postby eishiya » May 30th, 2013, 6:09 pm

My first comic that actually got a sizeable audience was BL, but no one's ever given me crap for doing entirely non-BL stuff since.

It's all about what you want to do! And if you're worried about the BL fans getting angry, just don't bother with them! Keep your cross-advertising with the BL comic subtle and light, don't make the BL fans feel like they have to read your non-BL stuff.
eishiya

Postby Cyna » May 30th, 2013, 6:28 pm

As long as your stories are good, "quality readers" follow.

There are some mangakas who can't make their way out of the yaoi genre ( Ayano Yamane said it in an interview, her readers expect her to draw only BL, but yeah, for now her stories didn't really strike me as good without the romance/sex), but others can do whatever they want with no shame (Asumiko Nakamura is the first example I have in mind but there are others), others just use different pen names. 8D (don't remember who but there's one who has a different one for every genre she's tried)

So yeah, if you like what you do, you shouldn't mind too much about your audience. At worst, you'll just have different publics =o

(I apologize because english isn't my language, I'm not sure I'm being clear)
Cyna

Postby Spacepegasus » June 3rd, 2013, 7:32 am

Most readers are more reasonable than that and you really don't have to feel responsible if anyone does get frustrated by you doing more than one thing. And if what you do is good you'll most likely get readers regardless of genre. Besides, committing to one kind of thing can harm your growth as an artist, do the kind of comic you are inspired to do and maybe communicate clearly what it is in the art/description so that you attract the people that would like that thing.
Spacepegasus

Return to Genre-Specific Discussion