What's a Psychological Genre.?

Discuss specific genres here. If your post fits into one of the subforums, post it there.

What's a Psychological Genre.?

Postby Manga-Ka » July 22nd, 2013, 2:49 pm

Hello there fellow Smackjeevers, I'm having some thought about genres... and then It's the psychological genre I'm thinking about.
So here's the question..
How do you make a psychological comic?
Well does anyone know.?
I've seen plenty of anime/manga/movies and stories with it.. But also a lot of fail ones..''
But I'm thinking like.. I mean... How do you make it seem like one.?
Make a romance story, easy make it focus about love and romance
Adventure, just make them go away on adventures (haha)
Humor? Make a funny plot with funny stuff going on..
and the list goes on...
But Psychological.?
...I want it to seem serious, even if everything isn't all 100% real life in it... still.. to make it seem serious and not just one of those annoying Yandere stuff.. that's not psychological enough if you ask me..' Just.. to..... boring..
I wish to make something psychological.. but what is psychological!?!
I mean.... I've read psychology... 1 and 2 in school before.. and I'm well aware of some mental disorder, but that doesn't make the story psychological
I want it dark.. and... to be filled with plot twists and stuff.. when nothing is what it really seem like...
But how do you make a good story with this genre
Manga-Ka

Re: What's a Psychological Genre.?

Postby eishiya » July 22nd, 2013, 5:11 pm

The "psychological" genre on SJ refers to psychological dramas/thrillers. The Wikipedia page on psychological thrillers should give you some idea of what makes such stories what they are. As for making them good... it's all about the questions that you create in the reader's mind. Psychological stories should mess as much with the reader's perception of the story's reality as with the characters'.

What is real, and what is in the characters' heads? Does it make a functional difference?
How do different characters perceive certain things differently?
Are certain characters who they say they are, and more importantly, are they who they believe they are?
And so on. The Wikipedia page should give you some ideas.

Making the reader question the mental state of the characters and the nature of the setting is a big part of what makes a story belong to this genre. Aside from that, the same things that apply to most stories also apply here - to make them good, you need strong characterisation, internal consistency (the inconsistencies should follow some sort of logic, even if it's crazy), characters readers can be interested in, even if they don't like them.
eishiya

Postby Manga-Ka » July 22nd, 2013, 5:32 pm

thank you for your respond :'> I'll check that out, the thing is, I don't wanna end up trying to make a comic in this genre to end up with no one else thinking it's psychological x'D
But what about the... I don't know what it's called in english >.<'
but it were something about the way people work with each other, peoples relationships n stuff >u> in a non romantic way.. but sort of.. how people work in groups and things like that..'
But mjeh! I'll take a look at the page and hopefully get some good advice, thank you ^^
Manga-Ka

Postby blankd » July 22nd, 2013, 6:57 pm

Manga-Ka wrote:thank you for your respond :'> I'll check that out, the thing is, I don't wanna end up trying to make a comic in this genre to end up with no one else thinking it's psychological x'D
But what about the... I don't know what it's called in english >.<'
but it were something about the way people work with each other, peoples relationships n stuff >u> in a non romantic way.. but sort of.. how people work in groups and things like that..'
But mjeh! I'll take a look at the page and hopefully get some good advice, thank you ^^

That sounds like Drama.
SuperBiasedMan wrote:Just because you've proven something blankd doesn't mean I have to believe it.

Image Image
blankd

Postby Manga-Ka » July 23rd, 2013, 3:18 am

well maybe..' I'm not sure x'D I'm just thinking about what we read about in school x'D and there were something about how people work in group and stuff x.x'
That's why I'm a bit confused about what really counts as or well.. count and count..'' More like what people usually thinks about psychological comics.
LIke if it's a romance, you're expecting romantic things, but what are people really expecting from psychological comics.?
Manga-Ka

Postby eishiya » July 23rd, 2013, 6:15 am

People expect the things I described in my first reply. They expect to question the sanity and reality of different parts of the story.

Psychological stories are not merely ones that deal with psychological concepts (you can make any genre deal with that), but specifically ones where the psychological state of the characters is critical to the story and is questioned. Your story, examining the dynamics of teamwork, sounds more like a drama than a psychological story. Dramas deal with all sorts of human issues, including social conflicts, some of which may stem from the science of psychology, such as trouble fitting in, working with others, communicating, etc. However, examining these issues does not make the story a psychological thriller/drama.
eishiya

Postby vignette.project » August 2nd, 2013, 10:37 am

In agreement with eishiya to an extent, though it is difficult to draw a hard and fast line between "the psychological genre" and other genres. Generic boundaries are a bit more permeable than that.

I mean, in some cases it is quite obvious when a work might be classified as "psychological". The most obvious trope of the genre is probably the unreliable narrator. There are also instances in which the medium itself is affected by the psychological state of given characters. The novel House of Leaves is a decent example. Often times, the psychological state of the character(s) under examination in the story alter the very structure of the narrative in some way. This can become gimmicky when done poorly, but when done well, the reader is given a chance to (in some respect) experience the psychological states being represented.

That said, "psychological" fiction can also be simply drama that explores "human issues" and attempts to achieve "realistic" portraits of characters' minds and what makes them tick. Who's to say how far this preoccupation with characters' minds has to go before psychology itself becomes a central issue for the story?
vignette.project

Postby MartindeMadrid » September 10th, 2014, 7:52 pm

One thing which might help you to understand what the psychological genre is about would to be to watch some of Alfred Hitchcock's movies. He was a master of the psychological genre. Hope this helps.
MartindeMadrid

Postby Disturbed Goth » November 15th, 2014, 9:59 pm

I agree a lot of what with eishiya said. Sometimes it involves getting a character to think about what's going on. I don't think it necessarily has to trip the reader up all the time, but that is a classic example. The comic could follow the story of a character with a mental illness. But psychological doesn't always have to be dark and about mental illness but it can also be about mental health. I doubt that there are many comics out there about mental health, because most people do not find that as interesting as abnormal psychology.

If you want an example, I suggest you read a comic called "Johnny the Homicidal Maniac". It follows the story of a young man with an anti-social personality and has very misanthropist views about society and the way people think and act. It is very dark and satirical. But that's an example of extreme abnormal psychology.

I suggest you also check out the work of Satoshi Kon. He directs animated movies. Two of his movies, Paprika and Perfect Blue are very good examples of psychological thrillers/dramas. As well as the series, Paranoia Agent.
Disturbed Goth

Return to Genre-Specific Discussion