Comic Strips!

Discuss specific genres here. If your post fits into one of the subforums, post it there.

Comic Strips!

Postby benjibear » July 16th, 2014, 11:01 am

I've only been on sj for a small amount of time but I haven't seen anyone posting in the forums about strips and was wondering if we could spark up a discussion?

I started drawing more humorous comics a few years ago because I realized I preferred making people smile rather than making them sad or angry (which was what my previous works before provoked in readers). But I started actually doing daily strips over a year ago because my s/o was doing them so beautifully and so well and I really wanted a challenge. I think my work has improved a lot since.

I'd like to know about your influences and favorites and about your own work as well!

8-)
benjibear

Re: Comic Strips!

Postby CrazyRacoon » July 16th, 2014, 11:38 am

After taking a university course in computer ethics, my way of thinking changed and I became more creative. Then I posted over 1000 joke questions on a website to find out what people find funny. Rude people, crazy people, people getting hurt, extreme evil and surrealism were most popular. Anything about science or computers were highly unpopular because people did not get it.
CrazyRacoon

Postby FourStringFingerSting » July 16th, 2014, 12:36 pm

I'm currently working on a 4 panel format comic that's definitely more of a "gag per strip" sort of deal. Plot-wise it's very lightly focused, and the meat of the comic is meant to be in the characters and their dialogue. Before I sparked up this project, I'd been building a fictional universe around a group of characters for the past 3-4 years, fine tuning their backgrounds and just world building in general. I'm still heavily committed to finishing this project, but I realized I'd been putting all this work into such a heavy project and hadn't really done anything just for fun in a long time. Not to say that I wasn't enjoying working on this previous effort, I still absolutely love the characters and where they're headed, I just needed a little break. Hence, The Whatever Chronicles was born! I really enjoy making people laugh, and this style of humor was a little more open than the dark humor idea that I've been working on. I figured this new project would be a great way to open up an audience for myself while I still continue putting together my more intense project. Hopefully, if I happen to garner some fans from this new comic, they'll eagerly be awaiting the release of my other one (whenever that happens...)

To answer your question on influences though, I'm a huge fan of Scott Campbell's work, as well as the fictional universes of Evan Dahm. Other artists like Nathan Spoor and Don Hertzfeldt are also massive inspirations for me as well.
Check out my brand new book project on Gumroad, "This Is Jim!"
Also check out my garage punk band I Eat Stickfigures here!
FourStringFingerSting

Postby cloverthegreat » July 17th, 2014, 1:54 pm

CrazyRacoon wrote:After taking a university course in computer ethics, my way of thinking changed and I became more creative. Then I posted over 1000 joke questions on a website to find out what people find funny. Rude people, crazy people, people getting hurt, extreme evil and surrealism were most popular. Anything about science or computers were highly unpopular because people did not get it.

That's not the best gauge of how successful a comic strip will be. XKCD is one of the most popular webcomics out there because people who are into science and computers really love science and computer jokes. Having something explained in joke form can also bring in readers. I'm not a huge XKCD fan, but I liked the Heartbleed comic because it gave a simplified explanation of what happened.
cloverthegreat

Postby Medina Cartoonist » January 21st, 2015, 11:39 am

I love comic strips and that is what I draw. I have had strips in newspapers over the years. I was surprised by the lack of traditional comic strips as opposed to story driven comoc book type work on this site. I have just recently started my web comic (Web comics are new for me). My strip is called BEEZWAX, type in search box and check it out. I'd love to hear from more strip artists.
Medina Cartoonist

Postby Tibbittz » February 16th, 2015, 7:52 pm

I've been an enormous Garfield fan since before I could read. My dad would read the comics to me, and a few greats really stuck out -- Garfield, Mother Goose & Grimm, Bloom County/Outland, and, of course, Calvin & Hobbes.

I was then a big Dilbert fan for a few years, but the strip got tired and retread-y faster than most.

In the current era, Garfield is still great, and Pearls Before Swine is insanely clever more often than not.

Online, I really enjoy Cyanide and Happiness, and Tripp.

My main comic is superhero piece, but I have a spinoff semi-prequel project that is a daily-newspaper-style strip. It's called Tiffany & Rex, and it's as Calvin & Hobbes influenced as I can muster. It's been collecting dust online for a quite a while, but I'll get back to the art on it when I can.
Tibbittz

Postby Medina Cartoonist » February 24th, 2015, 1:35 pm

I checked out your strip and I love the art! Wow! Reminds me so much of an old adventuire stripo from the newspapers. The girl and the dinosaur one I mean.
Medina Cartoonist

Return to Genre-Specific Discussion